Sponsored by:

Rotisserie or body dolly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 06:00 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Rotisserie or body dolly?

So I'm probably going to start a body-off restomod on my '69. Is a rotisserie worth it? I've seen the plans for body dollies, but this is the first time I've taken the body off anything, so I'm pretty clueless as to how much difference it would make.

Thanks,
Simon
Old 05-09-2024, 06:55 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,253 Likes on 782 Posts

A rotisserie is a lot more expensive than a simple lumber dolly. IMO, a rotisserie for a fiberglass body is also a lot more complicated to design to ensure the body is properly supported throughout the rotation.
The following users liked this post:
C3Cliff (05-13-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:19 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 266 Posts

When I was operating a restoration business, I had a rotisserie as well as several body doilies. While it was easier to do cleaning and small repairs on the rotisserie, there wasn’t anything that I could also do on the body dolly (although it might require a bit more effort). Considering the amount of space the rotisserie took up, it’s no wonder that it was among the first pieces of equipment that I sold when I officially shut everything down. Never missed it and still working on cars (albeit, for myself).

If you have unlimited space and funds, yeah, the rotisserie is pretty cool… Fact is though, you don’t need it.

Also worth mentioning that I didn’t build the wooden monster dollies that seem to be relatively popular (I get it though, they’re cheap to build). I got all of my body dollies from a company called NuAir…. Light weight, aluminum extrusions that are light, strong, and easy to move around. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

Last edited by Rowdy Rat; 05-10-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:13 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I've used both. Each has pros and cons. I would go with which ever is cheaper, and your body can handle. Imho
Old 05-12-2024, 09:54 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,142 Likes on 740 Posts

If you have a lift, a body dolly on that will replace most of what you would need a rotisserie for.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:19 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 69L88
A rotisserie is a lot more expensive than a simple lumber dolly. IMO, a rotisserie for a fiberglass body is also a lot more complicated to design to ensure the body is properly supported throughout the rotation.
Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
When I was operating a restoration business, I had a rotisserie as well as several body doilies. While it was easier to do cleaning and small repairs on the rotisserie, there wasn’t anything that I could also do on the body dolly (although it might require a bit more effort). Considering the amount of space the rotisserie took up, it’s no wonder that it was among the first pieces of equipment that I sold when I officially shut everything down. Never missed it and still working on cars (albeit, for myself).

If you have unlimited space and funds, yeah, the rotisserie is pretty cool… Fact is though, you don’t need it.

Also worth mentioning that I didn’t build the wooden monster dollies that seem to be relatively popular (I get it though, they’re cheap to build). I got all of my body dollies from a company called NuAir…. Light weight, aluminum extrusions that are light, strong, and easy to move around. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Originally Posted by crf311
I've used both. Each has pros and cons. I would go with which ever is cheaper, and your body can handle. Imho
Originally Posted by ignatz
If you have a lift, a body dolly on that will replace most of what you would need a rotisserie for.
So I looked at the NuAir. It looks great but its $1500 now, so just as expensive as a rotisserie. It did get me thinking about using aluminum extrustions (8020.net) to build the frame and properly support the body. So I think I'm going to build a body dolly from 8020 that I can mount to the rotisserie. That way I can dismount it from the rotisserie, use the rotisserie for the frame, and then the body later. Thank you so much to everyone for replying, this was great!

Regards,
Simon
Old 05-13-2024, 01:12 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,652 Posts

If you want to clean / repair the bottom of the body shell, you can do it standing up with a rotisserie, and at arm's length.

On a body dolly, if you get it high enough, you can still do that work, but all the dust, water & muck will be raining down on you.
The following 2 users liked this post by leigh1322:
boat196 (05-13-2024), mosse (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 08:37 PM
n2h2o2
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts

I had a high bay shop when I lived in Florida and I used cheap winches from Harbor Freight, attached to the steel roof trusses to lift the body high enough to work under the body while standing up.
If you have a lower ceiling, perhaps raise high enough to sit on a rolling chair.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotisserie or body dolly?

Quick Reply: Rotisserie or body dolly?