C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radio cutting in and out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 12:40 PM
davcono
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radio cutting in and out

65 with factory (original) antenna. Radio is a Retrosound. USB and bluetooth work fine but radio cuts in and out. Antenna ground strap is in place (looks new). Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2024, 05:39 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,488 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

What do you mean, "but radio cuts in and out". Sound, power, auxiliary music? Since it's a modified radio, I would try to find who converted it. Dennis
Old 05-10-2024, 06:06 PM
davcono
Heel & Toe

I mean that it acts as though the station signal is intermittently lost. I found the local/distant selector in the radio's menu and thought this might be the problem as it was a set on local. Not sure what you mean by converted. If you mean installed, I bought this car from a dealer who bought it from Mecum, who bought it from an importer (Canada). Tried to contact a previous owner (found his name on an insurance card in the car) with no luck. I know the car has been in Canada and New Jersey, as it has a NJ assigned vin. Wish I could develop a history, but right now I am stuck. I do not believe the car has been wrecked. It may have been stolen. Has a ZZ3 engine and ST-10 trans. Looks great, runs great, very clean frame and undercarriage. This is my second C2, and I have had a C3 and a C5, so I am somewhat experienced with these cars.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:57 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,488 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Converted means it's not all original since it has guts for USB and Bluetooth. Dennis
Old 05-12-2024, 10:34 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 934 Likes on 535 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

What Retrosound model is it?
Old 05-12-2024, 10:38 PM
davcono
Heel & Toe

The booklet was in the car. Model two.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:03 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 934 Likes on 535 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a Retrosound RC-900C in my 65 that just shuts off. As long as the engine is not running, plays fine. Not due to heat but seems to be related to HEI ignition. I tried shielding it to no avail.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:29 AM
B.Huey1
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davcono
I mean that it acts as though the station signal is intermittently lost. I found the local/distant selector in the radio's menu and thought this might be the problem as it was a set on local. Not sure what you mean by converted. If you mean installed, I bought this car from a dealer who bought it from Mecum, who bought it from an importer (Canada). Tried to contact a previous owner (found his name on an insurance card in the car) with no luck. I know the car has been in Canada and New Jersey, as it has a NJ assigned vin. Wish I could develop a history, but right now I am stuck. I do not believe the car has been wrecked. It may have been stolen. Has a ZZ3 engine and ST-10 trans. Looks great, runs great, very clean frame and undercarriage. This is my second C2, and I have had a C3 and a C5, so I am somewhat experienced with these cars.
If the reception is cutting out, it's usually antenna issues, start there, make sure the connections, ground and RF are clean and making good contact, then measure the resistance, (or replace) the antenna cable, if the cable is original, it may be time to replace it.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:51 AM
davcono
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply. Cable is original. Appears to be a brand new ground strap. Issue only happens when moving. Is it likely that something could be wrong with the antenna itself or is it much more likely to be the cable? It is also original.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:05 AM
B.Huey1
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davcono
Thanks for the reply. Cable is original. Appears to be a brand new ground strap. Issue only happens when moving. Is it likely that something could be wrong with the antenna itself or is it much more likely to be the cable? It is also original.
Yes, it could be the antenna, best diagnostic is to try swapping it with another known good unit, same as with the cable, when it comes to electricalls, original doesn't always mean functional or optimal
Old 05-13-2024, 11:10 AM
davcono
Heel & Toe

Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio cutting in and out

Quick Reply: Radio cutting in and out