Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Trippin' The Z07

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 05:10 PM
robob
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Trippin' The Z07

Hey Folks,

As most of you know the Z07 is pretty stiff and has tires that are marginal in wet weather. Despite that, that damn guy is planning on driving one from Houston to Burbank this summer.

Since he will be heading west, it is expected that the chance of rain will decrease the further he goes. However the trip back will likely be with increasing chance. Besides weather mode or different tires, have you folks any ideas?

The trip to will be in three parts and the trip back in at least as many.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Robert
Old 05-10-2024, 05:27 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,073 Posts

To your question, I might add a little more air to the Cup 2s if you use them (see below) -- would go slightly over the 35 if rain is expected. And then be very careful. Damp roads as in a little rain shower won't be a real problem - done in a few times without issue. Standing water/puddles will lead to hydroplaning before just about anything else on the road,so that is where the care needs to come in. Outside of that weather mode is excellent.

As for stiffness - Set up My Mode to keep suspension in Tour, with whatever else you like to try to keep it relatively calm.

Thing is, may very well need tires anyway. Looks like that is about 2200 mile round trip plus any stops and such in between Think Cup 2Rs probably have 4-5k in them (depending upon use), so if starting off with any mileage, they more not make the entire trip anyway. At that point, might as well plan on tires before hand -- or better yet, order some to be delivered out west and have them swapped on for the ride back. Get a set of the 4s for the trip and other things and can always go back to the 2Rs or grab another set of wheels (used OEM ones getting cheap) for the other set.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:33 PM
jswatek
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes get some better tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by jswatek:
robob (05-10-2024), sambo60 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 06:11 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 769 Likes on 525 Posts

I would not chance it … and I’m a gambler running drag radials. You could be off in a ditch real quick. Or sitting in a parking lot for hours until the rain stops and it clears up
Old 05-10-2024, 06:30 PM
robob
Racer

Originally Posted by z28lt1
To your question, I might add a little more air to the Cup 2s if you use them (see below) -- would go slightly over the 35 if rain is expected. And then be very careful. Damp roads as in a little rain shower won't be a real problem - done in a few times without issue. Standing water/puddles will lead to hydroplaning before just about anything else on the road,so that is where the care needs to come in. Outside of that weather mode is excellent.

As for stiffness - Set up My Mode to keep suspension in Tour, with whatever else you like to try to keep it relatively calm.

Thing is, may very well need tires anyway. Looks like that is about 2200 mile round trip plus any stops and such in between Think Cup 2Rs probably have 4-5k in them (depending upon use), so if starting off with any mileage, they more not make the entire trip anyway. At that point, might as well plan on tires before hand -- or better yet, order some to be delivered out west and have them swapped on for the ride back. Get a set of the 4s for the trip and other things and can always go back to the 2Rs or grab another set of wheels (used OEM ones getting cheap) for the other set.
Yeah, I have My Mode set with the suspension on Tour and other things on Sport.

Good point about the tire wear, will see if somebody can get 4S in time. I can see where adding air will allow the grooves in the center of the contact patch move outward. Is there something else more air does?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Robert
Old 05-10-2024, 06:31 PM
robob
Racer

Originally Posted by 123sugey
I would not chance it … and I’m a gambler running drag radials. You could be off in a ditch real quick. Or sitting in a parking lot for hours until the rain stops and it clears up
Well, if it's a parking lot where there's a building with adult beverages then not so bad:-)
The following 3 users liked this post by robob:
123sugey (05-12-2024), minn19 (05-12-2024), z28lt1 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 06:58 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robob

Good point about the tire wear, will see if somebody can get 4S in time. I can see where adding air will allow the grooves in the center of the contact patch move outward. Is there something else more air does?

Robert
More air will decrease the contact patch and place more weight per area on that contact patch and use the tread more which is what you want in rain/snow to help the tire evacuate water and contact the road and not lay/float on the water. That's actually the opposite of what you would do off-roading or sand driving as you want as large of contact area as possible to float on the dirt/sand instead of digging through it so you lower pressure in those cases. GM recommends 35 PSI on the Cup 2Rs for street use instead of 30 like the 4s. -- lower than 35 is actually better for dry handling, but they raise it to give any help they can for wet traction.
The following users liked this post:
robob (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:02 PM
robob
Racer

Ordered the 4S so that will help.

BTW, I am not recommending this as there may be safety implications on the street, but I run the Cup2Rs at 32psi on the street. Dealer had them at 40 and above.

Thanks again folks,
Robert
Old 05-10-2024, 07:03 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ordered the 4S so that will help.

BTW, I am not recommending this as there may be safety implications on the street, but I run the Cup2Rs at 32psi on the street. Dealer had them at 40 and above.

Thanks again folks,
Robert
Smart move with the 4s. Hope you enjoy the trip.

32 is probably great on the street. If you know you'll be in the wet, add a little if you can.
robob (05-10-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:20 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,101 Likes on 1,737 Posts

Weather mode is your friend
robob (05-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 07:16 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 224 Posts

Robert
Weather Mode also adjusts not only throttle progression but also the traction controls. At the driver school at Spring Mountain, they show you how easily you can break the rear end loose on a wet road but how difficult it is to do that in Weather Mode. Most people will not be able to do it as long as Weather Mode is active. So in wet weather, it’s pretty much a must.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaryBob:
Big Lebowski (05-13-2024), robob (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:42 PM
robob
Racer

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Weather Mode also adjusts not only throttle progression but also the traction controls. At the driver school at Spring Mountain, they show you how easily you can break the rear end loose on a wet road but how difficult it is to do that in Weather Mode. Most people will not be able to do it as long as Weather Mode is active. So in wet weather, it’s pretty much a must.
Yep:-)

Get notified of new replies

To Trippin' The Z07

Quick Reply: Trippin' The Z07