C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many issues do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 11:48 AM
Shirleyshusband
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many issues do I have?

Hi all, first post here and my first vette too. It's a 99 red 6 speed that is just beautiful! Bought it about 2 weeks ago

But, I'm having some issues....

After a 3 hour ride to get it home, several times it wanted me to skip gears to 4th. On my test ride, the owner just told me it's some emissions stuff and just ignore it. So i did. It didn't take much extra effort to push it into second gear. I just ignored the light on the dash. It hasn't happened again but i haven't driven it much yet,,,more in a minute. I have ordered a CAGS SKIP and it should be here soon.

First fun ride with Shirley after stopping at a friend's house the steering wheel locked up. Was unable to move it. So ordered and now installed a LCM5 kit. That worked, although oddly...after I installed it the car wouldn't start. Nothing when i turned the key. I disconnected and reconnected the neg battery, wiggled some wires by the LCM5. And it fired right up. No more steering lock, yeah!

On the test ride and several times now I get a security light and remove key for 10 seconds. I do that, remove key, and it works fine...so far.

I had the battery tested, under load and they said it's at 80%. A new better battery will arrive Friday.

So me questions are,

CAGS SKIP should fix the skip shift....i bought a manual, i want to shift. Yes?

Are the security light and remove key 10 seconds different issues? I'm not worried about theft, I'd be happy with just a simple key or simple fix.

Did I mention I love this car? My last fast car was around 75 when i had a 71 442. I'm 68 now and feel like a kid again.

Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

I've been reading and searching this forum but I'm getting confused.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:40 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,231 Likes on 803 Posts

Skip shift eliminator is a 10 minute install if you have a lift and you’ll be able to shift to second free all day long, as for the steering lock it have been installed in my 03 by the previous owner and never give any issues. Good luck. I’m 68 also and I love to drive this car
The following users liked this post:
Shirleyshusband (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 01:07 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 443 Posts

The LMC5 install has a additional step called the brown wire mod it should eliminate the pull key message and security light. Contact LMC5 and they will walk you through the steps.
The following 2 users liked this post by mmartinez:
Dads2kconvertible (05-12-2024), Shirleyshusband (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 01:32 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,232 Likes on 784 Posts

The LMC5 is made by Compliance Parts. Contact Richard, 855-565-8388. Number 1 customer service.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrwirsi:
Dads2kconvertible (05-12-2024), Shirleyshusband (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:32 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 666 Likes on 441 Posts

Skip shift light only comes on at less than 26% throttle and 19 mph. Step on it a little and the light will never come on.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:03 PM
Shirleyshusband
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
Skip shift light only comes on at less than 26% throttle and 19 mph. Step on it a little and the light will never come on.
lol, spoken.like a true vette owner!
Dads2kconvertible (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 10:13 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 666 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirleyshusband
lol, spoken.like a true vette owner!
Every vehicle I've ever owned has its own quirks. I consider the skip shift one of the vette's quirks.
I do prefer to short shift, just cruise around but I changed my first gear style a little to work around the skip shift. Now I rarely notice it.
If you do happen to shift when the light is on you can go into fourth then right back to second and it will go right in. The lock out solenoid releases as soon as you enter fourth gear.

I was not smooth at all with the manual gearbox on this car at first. I don't drive much, it probably took me a month before it felt like I wasn't jerking any more.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:35 PM
Midwest19942000
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirleyshusband
So me questions are,

CAGS SKIP should fix the skip shift....i bought a manual, i want to shift. Yes?

Are the security light and remove key 10 seconds different issues? I'm not worried about theft, I'd be happy with just a simple key or simple fix.

Did I mention I love this car? My last fast car was around 75 when i had a 71 442. I'm 68 now and feel like a kid again.

Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

I've been reading and searching this forum but I'm getting confused.

I installed the CAGS skip shift kit from Compliance Parts and it works great. I took the extra step of installing the white wire that eliminates the 1-4 shift light and now it’s as if that system doesn’t even exist. Highly recommend.

My security light blinks every time the door is opened before the key is inserted which is normal on these cars if that’s what you’re seeing. As another forum member stated the brown wire mod on you’re LMC5 kit will eliminate the pull key wait 10 seconds message.

I have a 2000 M6 and these are awesome cars once you work out these minor bugs. Not sure how familiar you are with these cars but watch out for the harmonic balancer if it hasn’t been replaced yet. They can do a lot of damage when they fail and come apart but the good news is you can catch it before it tears everything up if you keep an eye on it. Lots of info on that here on this site.

Congrats on your C5 welcome to the club!

Last edited by Midwest19942000; 05-12-2024 at 10:42 PM.
Shirleyshusband (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 10:48 AM
Shirleyshusband
4th Gear

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll do the brown wire fix this afternoon.
This forum is an awesome source!
June got reall busy but July i hope to attend our first cars and coffee in Madison, Wi.
Dads2kconvertible (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 11:04 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

You might install a hyper flash harness and LED bulbs in the front running lights.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40433261864...Bk9SR5bXqqfuYw

Because the standard running lights up front get hot.

Get notified of new replies

To How many issues do I have?

Quick Reply: How many issues do I have?