Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former GS Vette owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:26 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Former GS Vette owner

Hello all,
I want to reach out to those former C7 owners who had the 7-speed manual and see what everyone's opinion might be regarding going to the C8. Now that the market is finally coming back to reality I started looking at them again. I will be honest I do miss my C7 GS and I recently test-drove an Artic White 23 2lt C8 with 2600 miles and Velocity Yellow Tintcoat C7 Z06 w 13k miles manual in mint condition and these 2 cars are 2 different cars obviously. I felt right at home with the Z06 even though I had never driven one before as I was very much at home. and felt engaged with the car which is why I like the manual. This is a 9-year-old car that was very well kept in mint condition as it looks still brand new interior and exterior.
The C8 on the other hand made me feel very uncomfortable I guess since it is a new design and the gt2 seats were tight around the lower shoulders since I have broad shoulders which I hear will get better as I get more seat time. I drove both cars on the same road for about 15 mins each.
I am interested in the color (Amplified Orange Tintcoat) 1LT C8 which will be delivered in a week or 2 the Mgr reserved it for me without a deposit and said he wanted me to see it in person. Not sure what would be the best road to take so please let me hear your opinions. Are there any concerns about buying a 9-year-old Z06? Am I better in the long run to stick with the C8? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2024, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

To me that's like comparing a Model T to a Model A.
The following 4 users liked this post by 5632:
proeagles (05-13-2024), Ron_Attleboro_MA (05-13-2024), TNBatmobile (05-13-2024), tractman (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 07:50 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 517 Likes on 351 Posts

[QUOTE=Grand_Wish;1607802748]Hello all,
The C8 on the other hand made me feel very uncomfortable I guess since it is a new design and the gt2 seats were tight around the lower shoulders since I have broad shoulders which I hear will get better as I get more seat time. I drove both cars on the same road for about 15 mins each.

This is not a good sign, What do you mean "I hear will get better" ??? if your not comfortable now its a nope!
Old 05-12-2024, 08:11 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

[QUOTE=V Vette;1607802806]
Originally Posted by Grand_Wish
Hello all,

This is not a good sign, What do you mean "I hear will get better" ??? if your not comfortable now its a nope!
the seats are stiff and will break in from what i have read. It's not terrible but just noticeable and different from what I was use to in the c7.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:24 PM
mtraylor2001
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Well you really have to make the call on this on your own. The looks are subjective. They are both great looking cars. If you are die hard on manual shifting. Its a no brainer. Get the C7 Z06. If you have not experienced the 650/650, then you will not know what you are missing so its a no brainer there. Get the C8 stingray.

There ae no issues in getting the c7. Its a real solid platform and will be for a long time. If you like it... get it. You can always get a c8 as they are in current production should you decide you dont want the c7 z anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by mtraylor2001:
Grand_Wish (05-12-2024), Ron_Attleboro_MA (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:34 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtraylor2001
Well you really have to make the call on this on your own. The looks are subjective. They are both great looking cars. If you are die hard on manual shifting. Its a no brainer. Get the C7 Z06. If you have not experienced the 650/650, then you will not know what you are missing so its a no brainer there. Get the C8 stingray.

There ae no issues in getting the c7. Its a real solid platform and will be for a long time. If you like it... get it. You can always get a c8 as they are in current production should you decide you dont want the c7 z anymore.
I totally understand. At first, the c8 didnt appeal but later it grew on me. I reallly like the orange but as you said I can only make that decision. As far as the seats I should be used a different word other than uncomfortable. It's just very conforming to the body. The power it puts down is intoxicating for sure. Since it's been a few years maybe that had something to do with it. The c8 is quite smaller inside than it looks from the outside but very ergonomically designed. I think the age of the c7 being 9yrs kind of made me think more about what I am getting for the money so that kind of made nervous being that old thinking about high dollar maintenances.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:36 PM
Jettcity1
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 137 Posts

This one is your call, both are great cars.
The C-8 transmission shifts faster than any stick shift/foot clutch could ever shift.
The DCT is the way to go, I have to say I am very impressed.
Grand_Wish (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:44 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,400 Likes on 806 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

My experience and thoughts are totally different. My first drive in a C8 (that we hadn't planned to buy), I fell in love with it. It drives great even though completely different from the C7, it feels like a smaller car when driving to me and I love the lightening fast shifts of the DCT. There is really nothing worth mentioning that I dislike. We bought a 2022 coupe and after a year sold it and bought an HTC.
I still have my C7 ZR1 but most of the time choose the newer model to drive. The C7 is a great Corvette but technology improves with each generation and especially with the mid engine C8. GM did a good job considering it was new in every aspect.
Grand_Wish (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,666 Likes on 14,187 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Drive them both and then decide. If a manual is top on your list, then the C7 Z wins. If you want the security of a factory warranty, a basically new car and the latest tech/engineering, the C8 wins. The looks of each car are really up to your preference. Neither one is a bad choice, that’s for sure.
Grand_Wish (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:01 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 379 Likes on 232 Posts

OP said “I drove both cars on the same road for about 15 mins each.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Drive them both and then decide. If a manual is top on your list, then the C7 Z wins. If you want the security of a factory warranty, a basically new car and the latest tech/engineering, the C8 wins. The looks of each car are really up to your preference. Neither one is a bad choice, that’s for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanD:
Grand_Wish (05-12-2024), V Vette (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:06 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Yea, I think the warranty is a piece of mind vs the c7 unknowns. I will probably never know the full capabilities so that does lean me towards the c8.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:09 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Originally Posted by BearZ06
My experience and thoughts are totally different. My first drive in a C8 (that we hadn't planned to buy), I fell in love with it. It drives great even though completely different from the C7, it feels like a smaller car when driving to me and I love the lightening fast shifts of the DCT. There is really nothing worth mentioning that I dislike. We bought a 2022 coupe and after a year sold it and bought an HTC.
I still have my C7 ZR1 but most of the time choose the newer model to drive. The C7 is a great Corvette but technology improves with each generation and especially with the mid engine C8. GM did a good job considering it was new in every aspect.
The other oddity was the rear view mirror(camera) but have read you will get use to it. Did you think the seats were strange at first?
Old 05-12-2024, 09:51 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,400 Likes on 806 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I have only had the GT2 seats and I was comfortable in them. It seems to help adjusting to the camera mirror if you zoom it all the way out for the widest view.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:27 AM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I have only had the GT2 seats and I was comfortable in them. It seems to help adjusting to the camera mirror if you zoom it all the way out for the widest view.
that's good to know and was not aware of that feature since i spent a small amount of time in the car. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2024, 06:54 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,310 Likes on 2,223 Posts

I still kept my C7Z after getting my C8Z. It's just an amazing car you can't let go. I almost, ALMOST, traded my C7Z for a stingray and i had my name on MM's list but after renting one on TURO i cancelled it lol. Great car, refined but it didn't wow me. People say the C8Z is like the stingray turned up to 11 and i agree. The SR is like trying to pick your nose with a rubber glove. Or trying to scratch an itch on your arm but you're wearing a north face bubble jacket.

The C7Z is an absolute monster. The LT4 platform is insanely potent and reliable. That's why GM still put them in cars today.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I still kept my C7Z after getting my C8Z. It's just an amazing car you can't let go. I almost, ALMOST, traded my C7Z for a stingray and i had my name on MM's list but after renting one on TURO i cancelled it lol. Great car, refined but it didn't wow me. People say the C8Z is like the stingray turned up to 11 and i agree. The SR is like trying to pick your nose with a rubber glove. Or trying to scratch an itch on your arm but you're wearing a north face bubble jacket.

The C7Z is an absolute monster. The LT4 platform is insanely potent and reliable. That's why GM still put them in cars today.
What year is you C7Z? Have you had to do any major maintenance other than replacing tires...lol?
Old 05-13-2024, 05:42 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,921 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yea, I think the warranty is a piece of mind vs the c7 unknowns. I will probably never know the full capabilities so that does lean me towards the c8.
You will probably never know the full capabilities of the C8 either. Not many will.

I have a very nice C7 in the garage next to my C8. I drive the C8 99% of the time.

V Vette (05-13-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Former GS Vette owner

Old 05-13-2024, 06:12 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,384 Likes on 1,237 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Two very different cars. My recent Corvette history (for newer ones) was 2015 Stingray (M7 Z51 MagRide), 2012 ZR1 (M6 modded to 730whp), 2023 Stingray HTC and now 2024 Z06 HTC. The C8 Stingray is a huge jump over the C7, but part of that is in refinement, feeling more like a really nice "grand tourer" than a sports/muscle car. It actually is a very good sports car as well, but if feels more refined. Even driving my 23 SR in manual mode 100% of the time, it just wasn't quite as engaging as a true clutch/stick manual, but when combined with everything else, it made it enough to be worth it to me. The C8 Z06 however, just blows me away. It takes the C8 to a whole different level and makes it an event every time I drive the car (just like driving my C6 ZR1 was). When I had the C8 SR, I found myself wanting an "event" to drive car so much that I ended up buying a modded 94 ZR-1. With the C8 Z06 I traded in the 23 SR and sold the 94 ZR-1. It sounds like you want a car that's more special and an event to drive, so a manual C7 Z06 would probably be my choice over a C8 Stingray. Either that or pony up for a C8 Z06.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:32 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,310 Likes on 2,223 Posts

What year is you C7Z? Have you had to do any major maintenance other than replacing tires...lol?
It's a 2016 so pre-revision C7Z without the extra cooler for the manual, the different supercharger lid etc.

I have 35k miles so not a ton given the year but car has never failed me ever. I never even gotten a CEL. I have intake, xpipe and PTB since almost the beginning. I went through a couple of sets of tires not because they went bad, but because i changed wheels, then experimented different tire setups. I have A/S's on the car now since i do drive the car in winter.

The only thing i did replace was the battery about a month ago. It finally went. Almost 8 years old.

The car is so good i felt guilty thinking about selling it. Perhaps i still will but not right now. I am debating on actually camming the car lol.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:46 PM
Grand_Wish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
It's a 2016 so pre-revision C7Z without the extra cooler for the manual, the different supercharger lid etc.

I have 35k miles so not a ton given the year but car has never failed me ever. I never even gotten a CEL. I have intake, xpipe and PTB since almost the beginning. I went through a couple of sets of tires not because they went bad, but because i changed wheels, then experimented different tire setups. I have A/S's on the car now since i do drive the car in winter.

The only thing i did replace was the battery about a month ago. It finally went. Almost 8 years old.

The car is so good i felt guilty thinking about selling it. Perhaps i still will but not right now. I am debating on actually camming the car lol.
I can believe that given the short time I was in the car. It felt rock solid and was very comparable to my 19GS I use to own minus 185hp. What a rocket ship....lol.I have to determine if I will be happy not rowing the gears and looking forward to having a warranty and not worry. Things happen so I get that with any car. Good to know she's still holding up well.
I can't imagine what your car would be like after camming it!!! Holy cow!
Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Former GS Vette owner