Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Jack/Vevor Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:53 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 556 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Quick Jack/Vevor Lift Question

With the car on the highest lift locked position, what if the power unit fails? How do you lower car besides getting another power unit? Thanks
Old 05-14-2024, 08:34 AM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I would imagine slicing into the hydraulic lines (and a few strong guys wiggling the car?) would get the car back on the ground...
Old 05-14-2024, 08:45 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
I would imagine slicing into the hydraulic lines (and a few strong guys wiggling the car?) would get the car back on the ground...
You have to raise first to unlock the safety mechanism, then maybe it can be lowered but thanks. I cant seem to find this info in manual. It can be a real problem.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:03 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
You have to raise first to unlock the safety mechanism, then maybe it can be lowered but thanks. I cant seem to find this info in manual. It can be a real problem.
Just like any other jack or lift the best solution is to fix the lift.
FWIW - we have not had any problems with either of our Quickjacks which have gone /up/down countless times over about 10 years now.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:08 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rkrupka
Just like any other jack or lift the best solution is to fix the lift.
FWIW - we have not had any problems with either of our Quickjacks which have gone /up/down countless times over about 10 years now.
LOL there is nothing wrong with the lift...Im not looking for "My lift won't", Had mine for 20 years" etc. Just an answer to this question, So you dont know the solution either?
The following users liked this post:
Dads2kconvertible (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:13 AM
rkrupka
Pro

LOL there is nothing wrong with the lift... Glad your 10 yrs no issues. Looking INCASE and it will happen to someone one day. So you dont know the solution either?
- If you jack your car up and place it on jack stands and the jack then fails what is the best solution?
- if you lift you car with a 4 post lift and the pump fails what is the best solution?
- if you lift your car with a 2 post lift and the pump fials what is the best solution?

"So you dont know the solution either?"
- I would fix the pump
- if the power went out I would use a generator to supply power
YMMV
Old 05-14-2024, 09:17 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

- If you jack your car up and place it on jack stands and the jack then fails what is the best solution?
- if you lift you car with a 4 post lift and the pump fails what is the best solution?
- if you lift your car with a 2 post lift and the pump fials what is the best solution?

"So you dont know the solution either?"
- I would fix the pump
- if the power went out I would use a generator to supply power
YMMV
So regardless of what happened to the pump, fixing it or getting another one (good luck) the car cannot be brought down until such?
Old 05-14-2024, 09:24 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,352 Likes on 3,483 Posts

I have a four post lift. Once the car has settled on the safety latches you need to raise the car slightly to disengage the safety latches so you can lower it, no way around it.

I had a power outage while my car was on my 4 post lift. I used my camper generator to rescue it. I have battery backup for my house and now I have it in my shop also.
Dads2kconvertible (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:27 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I have a four post lift. Once the car has settled on the safety latches you need to raise the car slightly to disengage the safety latches so you can lower it, no way around it.

I had a power outage while my car was on my 4 post lift. I used my camper generator to rescue it. I have battery backup for my house and now I have it in my shop also.
Thanks.. I have no issues with my lift but sh*t happens and I was wondering what the heck do you do ....My manual is no help.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:30 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,352 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Thanks.. I have no issues with my lift but sh*t happens and I was wondering what the heck do you do ....My manual is no help.
You may be able to figure out a way to use a jack to slightly raise the vehicle to disengage the safety locks if the need arises.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
rpiechowski (05-14-2024), V Vette (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:32 AM
rkrupka
Pro

So regardless of what happened to the pump, fixing it or getting another one (good luck) the car cannot be brought down until such?
If I had to I could get a car down without fixing or replacing the pump - it is not a path I would take.

- Quickjack helpline as well as their videos have been helpful for repairs/troubleshooting
- getting another pump from Quickjack or from other sources (Facebook) have not been a problem.
- repairing a pump like this is often not that difficult
Old 05-14-2024, 09:38 AM
MichaelCar001
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I remember, certain hydraulic power units might come with a spot where you can hook up a backup battery or emergency power. If yours has that option, giving it some juice from a backup source could help you lower the car like usual.
V Vette (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:03 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 230 Posts

First put blocks/wood under the tires. Next get out the cutting torch and start cutting.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:16 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
First put blocks/wood under the tires. Next get out the cutting torch and start cutting.
Hilarious!!! wouldn't that be the bomb!
Old 05-14-2024, 10:17 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

If I had to I could get a car down without fixing or replacing the pump - it is not a path I would take.

- Quickjack helpline as well as their videos have been helpful for repairs/troubleshooting
- getting another pump from Quickjack or from other sources (Facebook) have not been a problem.
- repairing a pump like this is often not that difficult
Thanks I will shoot QJ and Vevor Service see what they say.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:00 PM
rkrupka
Pro

Thanks I will shoot QJ and Vevor Service see what they say.
I have never had or used a vevor lift.
In 2021 or so when i needed a flow control valve on the pump Quickjack service was quick to help with the diagnosis and send the needed part (valve) out that day.

Fixing the pump is the real solution.
If I had to lower a car on the Quickjack and the pump was not working and did not want to fix the pump I would do something like I do to get boats off of their traliers onto blocks.
- place a hydraulic jack under one quickjack frame
- raise the frame slightly, disengage the safety, depressurize and disconnect hose
- lower the pump a few inches so that frame is sitting on blocks front and rear
- now do the other side
- go back and forth untill you are closer to the ground
- use some shorter wood blocks and/or car ramps when close to the ground
- remove frames from under car

These pumps have very few places to look for problems ...
- insufficient fluid in pump
- unplugged
- fuse
- relay
- flow valve

The following 3 users liked this post by rkrupka:
rpiechowski (05-14-2024), Sledge Hammer (05-14-2024), V Vette (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:18 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

I have never had or used a vevor lift.
In 2021 or so when i needed a flow control valve on the pump Quickjack service was quick to help with the diagnosis and send the needed part (valve) out that day.

Fixing the pump is the real solution.
If I had to lower a car on the Quickjack and the pump was not working and did not want to fix the pump I would do something like I do to get boats off of their traliers onto blocks.
- place a hydraulic jack under one quickjack frame
- raise the frame slightly, disengage the safety, depressurize and disconnect hose
- lower the pump a few inches so that frame is sitting on blocks front and rear
- now do the other side
- go back and forth untill you are closer to the ground
- use some shorter wood blocks and/or car ramps when close to the ground
- remove frames from under car

These pumps have very few places to look for problems ...
- insufficient fluid in pump
- unplugged
- fuse
- relay
- flow valve
Thank you for all your help... Hopefully no one will have to do this...

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Jack/Vevor Lift Question

Old 05-14-2024, 01:20 PM
rpiechowski
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

So the solution to your question is this, since you are trying to figure out how to lower the car with a failure of the power unit or hydraulic system... Use a floor jack and Slightly raise the vehicle up removing pressure from the jack, place jack stands under vehicle, remove quick jack from under the vehicle, lift vehicle, remove jack stands, lower to ground. Contact Quick Jack for trouble shooting and replace failed part....
The following 3 users liked this post by rpiechowski:
jmeyer58 (05-15-2024), meflyfrc (05-14-2024), V Vette (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 02:22 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 710 Likes on 396 Posts

Thats a really good question, and I never really thought about it before. I do like many of the suggestions for fixing it, but it would definitely be a problem.

The location to place jacks or jackstands is also right under the Quickjack rails, so it wouldn't be very easy to lift the car further and support the car to move the QJ. Plus, QJ lifts pretty high... you would need some very tall jacks, and be able to lift the car from less than ideal locations to get it off the QJ rails. I also thought about the suggestion to place blocks under the wheels to support the car. Another good idea, but wow it would be unnerving to see my 6 figure car sitting 2 ft off the ground on a pile of wood or blocks. And you still have the issue of how to lift the car when the lift points are blocked/used. I think the best scenario is to just buy a replacement QJ pump or repair the pump... leaving the car in the air while you get it worked out.

So I did a little Googling and found this: Lift Stand Inc (myliftstand.com)

Actually these look like a great idea to just have on hand to go with the QuickJack. As a rescue tool and also for non-wheel-removal work under the car.

But from now on, I am going to do a short lift and drop before doing the final lift on the car... just in case! I wonder how often these fail?

Updated link for those Lift Stands, the also sell RennStands for lifting and supporting in one step: ETAMFG.COM - Home
V Vette (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 03:15 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,494 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
That won't work. The hydraulics do not maintain the car in lifted position, in fact they tell you NOT to do this.
You are supposed to lift the car until the catch bar goes past the locking position, then slowly lower it back down allowing the bar to lock in place. Once you confirm it is properly locked on both sides, you continue to depress the DOWN button which removes the pressure from the system.

Probably the best approach is to have 4 jack stands and 2 floor jacks. You will need to have those jackstands well positioned and they can't be in the way of the quickjack lowering either, because it cantilevers.
The start by lifting front or rear, repositioning stands, and then switching to the other end and repeating until you have the car lifted off the quick jack enough to get the safety bar released.
V Vette (05-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Quick Jack/Vevor Lift Question