Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Atlanta Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Default Atlanta Motor Speedway

I will be at the Talladega Memorial Day to lap the track with the Vettes4Vets. Last year I heard something about a group of Corvettes running hot laps at the Atlanta track, but can't find any info on it. Has anyone done the Atlanta event? Any info? Web site?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

corvettes against breast cancer in october
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. Did you do the hot laps this past Oct? I'm interested but not at loafing around the track at 90 MPH.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attended both the Talladega and Atlanta meeting - both were great but there were differences. At Talladega no overtaking was allowed and one participant was removed from the track for slowing down to a crawl pace (I think STOPPED!) so he could then take a high speed run to catch the pace car. Most (many?) people were slowing down and speeding up but not to that extreme. We got up to 125 mph between turns 2 and 3, could have gone faster but caught up with the cars in front. The guy behind me (ZR1) said he hit 146mph and had to brake hard to prevent overtaking me. I saw him coming and he was FAST. The pace car runs at a nominal 90 mph but may speed up depending on how the drivers are behaving. The event was awesome, very well organized and controlled. We were warned to stay out of the outside lane as the track had not been cleaned and could have loose tire debris present. The track was in use by a NASCAR training school when we arrived

If you have not driven on a banked oval you will be shocked at the banking at Talladega, 33 deg I believe. Anything less than about 85 on the banking and you literally have to turn right to stay in lane and prevent sliding down into the infield. There are a few videos on youtube, search for vettes for vets, Talladega, Corvettes. They also arranged for a professional photographer to take pics on the track and on the checkerboard at Victory Lane after the laps.

At the Atlanta Motor Speedway event, overtaking was allowed if you could not avoid it (whaatt ???) I found this a little scary, especially on the dog leg where I would normally hit the apex when I had someone overtake me on the inside and then another on the outside - I guess I wasn't fast enough. Some guys were also high on the banking next to the wall which I thought was very risky. It does make you think about an exit strategy if someone hits the wall ahead of you. The pace car was a little slower overall I think than at Talladega, but it was great fun. There were several Camaros, 4 Vipers and assorted other brands participating after the Corvettes. After the first set of 5 laps were completed you were free to join in again for another 5 laps for an additional donation and the cars were mixed, but mostly Corvettes. The event continued on into the evening under the floodlights.

In both events safety comes first and was emphasized over and over as it should be. If you want to lap at high speed you will be disappointed and will be removed from the track if you attempt it, but if you are willing to take short safe fast runs off turn 2 and 4 then you will enjoy it.

You can also see several videos on youtube.com if you search for CABC, AMS, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Corvettes.

Atlanta Motor Speedway just about to leave pit row for 5 laps under the lights.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Howard Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMS has Fri Night Drags on pit road (1/8th mi)
16 week season starts 4/29/2011 - lots of fun.
No lights or timers. Arm drop - like Pinks All Out.
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/events/drags/
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZBEE 062
I attended both the Talladega and Atlanta meeting - both were great but there were differences. At Talladega no overtaking was allowed and one participant was removed from the track for slowing down to a crawl pace (I think STOPPED!) so he could then take a high speed run to catch the pace car. Most (many?) people were slowing down and speeding up but not to that extreme. We got up to 125 mph between turns 2 and 3, could have gone faster but caught up with the cars in front. The guy behind me (ZR1) said he hit 146mph and had to brake hard to prevent overtaking me. I saw him coming and he was FAST. The pace car runs at a nominal 90 mph but may speed up depending on how the drivers are behaving. The event was awesome, very well organized and controlled. We were warned to stay out of the outside lane as the track had not been cleaned and could have loose tire debris present. The track was in use by a NASCAR training school when we arrived

If you have not driven on a banked oval you will be shocked at the banking at Talladega, 33 deg I believe. Anything less than about 85 on the banking and you literally have to turn right to stay in lane and prevent sliding down into the infield. There are a few videos on youtube, search for vettes for vets, Talladega, Corvettes. They also arranged for a professional photographer to take pics on the track and on the checkerboard at Victory Lane after the laps.

At the Atlanta Motor Speedway event, overtaking was allowed if you could not avoid it (whaatt ???) I found this a little scary, especially on the dog leg where I would normally hit the apex when I had someone overtake me on the inside and then another on the outside - I guess I wasn't fast enough. Some guys were also high on the banking next to the wall which I thought was very risky. It does make you think about an exit strategy if someone hits the wall ahead of you. The pace car was a little slower overall I think than at Talladega, but it was great fun. There were several Camaros, 4 Vipers and assorted other brands participating after the Corvettes. After the first set of 5 laps were completed you were free to join in again for another 5 laps for an additional donation and the cars were mixed, but mostly Corvettes. The event continued on into the evening under the floodlights.

In both events safety comes first and was emphasized over and over as it should be. If you want to lap at high speed you will be disappointed and will be removed from the track if you attempt it, but if you are willing to take short safe fast runs off turn 2 and 4 then you will enjoy it.

You can also see several videos on youtube.com if you search for CABC, AMS, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Corvettes.

Atlanta Motor Speedway just about to leave pit row for 5 laps under the lights.

Many thanks. I ran at Talladega this past July and hit 149 MPH(Garmin GPS) in my 09 Z06(shooting for 160 this upcoming May) on the back stretch. i was lucky to have been far enough back in the pack to get the rubber band effect and I was also behind my friend Dave, who was driving his '10 GS with a cam, long tubes, and a supercharger(603 rwhp), so he didn't get in my way. I've also run at Texas Motor Speedway and hit 125 in my old C5. Looks like Atlanta is very close in design to Texas. I just didn't want to drive 700 miles(one way) and then find out I would get kicked off the track if I hung back to get a run faster then the pace car. I know about having to run part of the track at 70 MPH so I can hit 130+MPH on the back stretch, so that I avg the pace car speed of 85-90.

I would want to make sure I can run at least two 5-lap sessions on the track at Atlanta, considering the expense to drive down + motels, etc.

I've also run at Indy and they paced us at 25 MPH for one lap. Cool to drive around Indy but not cool at 25 MPH.

Sounds like something I would enjoy, so I might try to go in 2011. Bad thing is that it is the same weekend as the huge Eureka Springs meet in Arkansas(hour away from me).
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You guys should consider putting the parade laps aside and looking into NASA.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/aboutnasa/regions.html
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sperkins
You guys should consider putting the parade laps aside and looking into NASA.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/aboutnasa/regions.html
Even though I have a Z06 and like the thrill of driving fast(in a safe environment) I'm 68 years old. My driving skills and reflexes are not like they were 20-30 years ago. The parade laps on the high speed tracks(Talladega, Texas, Atlanta) allow me to enjoy the performance of my car without endangering my life or someone else's.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was at Talladega last July as well. I bought 15 laps worth. I was able to hit 141 on the back stretch very briefly. Shooting out of turn four at 120+ is one heck of a thrill ride. I'll be back this year in May.

Get notified of new replies

To Atlanta Motor Speedway

Quick Reply: Atlanta Motor Speedway