Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Touring Daytona Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Touring Daytona Speedway

We'll be passing through Daytona next Tuesday (7/16/13) and we'd like to take a tour of the track. The only opportunity we'll have for that day is the All Access Tour @ 10:00. Taking the 11:00 tour, while not ideal, may be a possibility if we miss the 10:00.

We've never been to Daytona, so it will be a thrill for us, but I can use the guidance of the members to help us reach our goals.

Where does one park for the tour on non-racedays? Where does one purchase tour tickets? Given our tight schedule, how soon should we arrive at the track to try to snag two 10:00 tix for the All Access Tour? Anything else we should know?

Many thanks ...

Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

PM Bob ( BEZ06 ), he lives in Daytona, and he has done TONS of trackdays there. He is the guru for info about Daytona
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Actually, I'm hoping Bob will respond to this thread, for my sake and for others who may want to make such plans!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the PM, Bob! Sadly, due to a lack of access to WIFI, I received it too late, but we were OK.

As there was no race scheduled, we were able to take I-95 and got off on exit 261 directly onto W. Int'l Speedway Blvd and pulled right into the main grounds of the racetrack.

We had a very tight schedule - for 2.5 hours my GPS estimated arrival time grew from 9:28 to 9:40, when we finally arrived. We dashed in and got our 10:00 seats on the tram.

The All Access Tour was pretty cool, though I was somewhat surprised that in 90 minutes, we did not see a single racecar other than those on display. I realize it's a tour of the TRACK and its facilities, but I kind of expected there might be a car on a lift in an open garage or something.

But the tour was great and I'd recommend it to anybody. At one point towards the end, they take a photo of you standing on the podium at the Winner's Circle, which of course they try to sell you at the end. However, they will also offer to take the same photo with your own camera, so before you shell out the clams for the pro shot, take a look at the shot from your (non-cellphone) camera - you may find it's just as good.

Anyway, in addition to all the outside stuff, we got to sit in one of the sky boxes. Someone asked how much a sky box cost and the guide said, "Does anyone have an extra ninety they don't need?"

"Got change for a $100?" some goofball asked. OK, it might have been me.

We also got to sit in the drivers' meeting area and watch the mandatory film the drivers and crew chiefs must watch before every race - that was an interesting behind-the-scenes experience.

I don't want to give anything else away, but when you go, be sure to listen to the guide - much of what he said was fascinating. And hand the guy five bucks - he deserves it.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by s'noJob
The All Access Tour was pretty cool, though I was somewhat surprised that in 90 minutes, we did not see a single racecar other than those on display. I realize it's a tour of the TRACK and its facilities, but I kind of expected there might be a car on a lift in an open garage or something.
Yesterday my neighbor recalled taking his son on this Daytona tour about four years ago this past April, also not near any race date. They saw about twelve cars, some just hot off the track. They also saw a 30 minute 3-D movie at the end. We saw a non-3D movie that looped every ten minutes, after which we were dumped into the gift shop, of course, (where were proceeded to dump about $120 - very easy to do, BTW.)

Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Excellent!! Glad you got there for the 10:00 tour and enjoyed it!

Sorry my PM was late, but as you found out it's easy to get to the Speedway.

If anybody is interested in running the track (the Rolex 24 roadcourse, which includes about 99.9% of the tri-oval and all the 31° high banking), if you're an experienced track hound there are a couple events in October (PM me for info if you're interested in one of those events).

However, there's an event every December that is novice friendly and is a great opportunity for rookie track drivers to run Daytona. All you need is a helmet and a coupe (sorry, no verts unless they have a cage/rollbar).

It's more expensive than track days at other tracks, but hey - it's Daytona!!

You get four 30 minute sessions per day, and you can do 1, 2, or all 3 days, so you get a lot of time running the track. Novice drivers will have an instructor with you.

Here's a link to forum member Henry Gilbert's website (his track organization is a co-sonsor of the event - click on the "Events" tab to see info about the event, if you're on a mobile device and get the mobile site, click on "view full site" at the bottom to get the full info):

http://performancedrivinggroup.com

C'ya at the track!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-22-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Touring Daytona Speedway

Quick Reply: Touring Daytona Speedway