Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Good shop in upstate SC

Old 06-06-2016, 05:12 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts
Default Good shop in upstate SC

I know the local Greenville SC dealer (Kevin Whitaker) is considered pretty decent but I'd like to find a good independent shop. I really need to get the suspension set back to factory ride height on my C6 GS.

I'm aware of Mullikins in Piedmont SC but they mainly do restorations on C1-C3, not sure they would even touch a C6. Found a place called Corvette Only, sounded promising but the Google street view only shows a bunch of beaters parked outside!

I found an old similar post in the C4 section with no useful replies, hoping for better luck here.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 06-27-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

There are a couple of good independent allignment shops in Spartanburg, but, I doubt they have much experience with a GS. My son has one, and I know it's kind of unique. What has happened to make it out of spec for ride height? What year? I think you would almost have to take the specs with you to a high volume independent. That's not very re-assuring.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

COBB TIRE - Wade Hampton Blvd - Greenville ... I take all my cars there for service needs. They can absolutely reset your suspension to factory specs.
The following users liked this post:
dr_gallup (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
There are a couple of good independent allignment shops in Spartanburg, but, I doubt they have much experience with a GS. My son has one, and I know it's kind of unique. What has happened to make it out of spec for ride height? What year? I think you would almost have to take the specs with you to a high volume independent. That's not very re-assuring.
It's a 2013 GS. I'm reasonably certain a previous owner cut down the bushings on the front adjustment bolts, possibly the rears as well. This is much more than what a typical alignment shop can do. First have to determine what has been done and then undo it. From what I've been able to learn, it will probably mean replacing the springs as GM does not sell the bolts separately. I really want to find a shop that knows their way around Corvette suspension as it's very different than anything else.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ceastham1
COBB TIRE - Wade Hampton Blvd - Greenville ... I take all my cars there for service needs. They can absolutely reset your suspension to factory specs.
They are close and looks like a decent shop, I'll stop by and talk to them. Maybe I can get them to put it on the lift just to see what's going on.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Have you looked up what the ride height specs were from the factory? I can't imagine how the car could be lowered any more than what it is. Have you been able to compare it to other GS? My son has already determined that he can't use his current floor jack nor his ramps to get under it.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Have you looked up what the ride height specs were from the factory? I can't imagine how the car could be lowered any more than what it is. Have you been able to compare it to other GS? My son has already determined that he can't use his current floor jack nor his ramps to get under it.
There are lots of people lowering these cars, I really don't know why. Just a personal preference thing like all the yahoos jacking up their pickup trucks. If I had realized it had been modded probably would not have bought this particular car but it's mine now so have to figure out what to do.

I've only compared the height of the front wheel arch but at 25 & 1/16th inches, I'm way lower than stock and quite a bit lower than some other lowered GS C6's. People have posted that the best way to compare is measuring the frame rails but no one has posted what the stock heights are supposed to be or exactly where to measure. I can't get my floor jack or ramps under it either. Lots of people use pieces of 2x lumber to get it up enough to use a jack.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:01 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Talk to Rich or Kym and tell them Clint referred you ...
Old 06-10-2016, 12:00 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

I was in Anderson last night visiting my son. I measured his front wheel arch, his measured at 26 3/4 inches. You are correct, your car is significantly lower than it should be. My son said he believes people are lowering their cars by changing bolts. Just doesn't know what bolts.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:56 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Got the ride height specs from another thread. Mine is lowered over 2".
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Logg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Try Hawks Motorsports in Easley. They work on mostly LS platform cars.
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/
The following users liked this post:
dr_gallup (06-15-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 05:23 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

I ended up taking it there. Took them awhile but they got the ride height set back to factory settings. What a huge improvement, I can drive the car now without it scraping everywhere. Did the PFADT street alignment, feels a good bit lighter.

Also had them change the oil (Pennzoil ultra platinum) & filter, I gave them 11 qt since it's a dry sump 10.5 qt system. However they put 11 qt in so now it's too full! Do I need to suck out 1/2 a qt? Not going to get whipped up by the crank in a dry sump, does it cause a problem?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I ended up taking it there. Took them awhile but they got the ride height set back to factory settings. What a huge improvement, I can drive the car now without it scraping everywhere. Did the PFADT street alignment, feels a good bit lighter.

Also had them change the oil (Pennzoil ultra platinum) & filter, I gave them 11 qt since it's a dry sump 10.5 qt system. However they put 11 qt in so now it's too full! Do I need to suck out 1/2 a qt? Not going to get whipped up by the crank in a dry sump, does it cause a problem?
I heard about that. They put corvette to corvette together and figured out I referred you. If they overfilled ... Kym & Rich will make it right.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:08 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

I heard about that. They put corvette to corvette together and figured out I referred you. If they overfilled ... Kym & Rich will make it right.
I was able to use a Mityvac and suck out about 12 oz. Faster than taking it back to Cobb Tire but I'm sure they would have taken care of it. They were very nice to deal with.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

I left for 3 weeks vacation shortly after the last post then was busy last weekend so today was the first time I really got to drive hard on familiar back roads. I was headed toward 215 & the BRP today but ran into rain and turned east. Took Fork Creek Rd to Pearson Falls to 176 up the Saluda Grade. What a run that is. Fork Creek is very tight, some 2nd gear turns, lots of fun. 176 is much faster. Most of the uphill side is 2 lanes wide and you can take outrageous lines. I pulled 1.11 on the G meter. Rain caught up with me after gassing up so headed on home.

I'm so much happier with the ride height restored, never scrapped, never had to slow for rough surfaces. The PFADT street alignment doesn't seem to have given up any grip. Don't really know how it was aligned before, Cobb could not even put the car on the alignment rack until they raised it up, it was so low. Very happy camper with the work done and how the car is driving.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 08-21-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Can't get link to display properly

Get notified of new replies

To Good shop in upstate SC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good shop in upstate SC