Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Vette doctor Melbourne FL

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Demis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vette doctor Melbourne FL

Good morning, anyone here have experience with this shop? Good / Bad?
recently purchased a C6 Z and looking for a reputable shop for service and maintenance in the Melbourne FL area.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Marauderprime
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was new to Melbourne, so I didn't know who did good work either, but I found them online, checked out the shop, and dropped off a running driving working A/C 1986 corvette with a mint interior off to him in June of last year. They kept it outside unprotected for months, until I started showing up all the time to check on the status.

They finally tore it down to the shortblock, and it turned out the issue was a lifter bit the dust and tore up the cam lobe. They quoted me 1500 dollars in parts, and another 2k in labor to put it back together. I bought all of the parts all original GM parts, or reputable aftermarket parts comp cams lifters, etc. I dropped off everything they needed down to the gaskets and seals for a whopping 400 bucks, last August.
It is September 14th 2017, and They have never called me again. I am in the middle of the home buying process right now and perpetually 2 weeks from closing, so I don't want the lender complaining if I drop 3k in the middle of the process, but I am fairly certain they have pushed it outside as a basket case. I don't trust the mechanic thats working on it, it seems like every time I talk to him, he says something else that either doesn't make sense, or is just patently wrong. Tried to tell me that there is a problem with the heads, and that the pushrod hole was not in the right spot, and thats what caused the lifter to fail.

The last 4 times I saw it, not a thing had been done, and my parts were in a cardboard box. I haven't said anything, but as soon as we close on the house, I am going to go down there an raise hell. Also, as this has gone longer and longer, and I have talked to other Vette owners, and local gearheads, this seems to be the general consensus for the shop.

I was planning on getting this thing back 8 months ago, and starting on a turbo project, but thats clearly not going to happen. I am probably going to have to threaten him, get a court order, pull my car out of there and hope they havent scattered the parts all over the shop, take it to another shop, pay them to put it back together, and then sue the Vette Doctors for the cost to cover.

The worst part is, I don't even really want the car anymore, when I get it back, I plan to sell it so that I can get an 89/90 ZF 6 speed as a better starting point.
The following users liked this post:
1bdvet (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Marauderprime
I was new to Melbourne, so I didn't know who did good work either, but I found them online, checked out the shop, and dropped off a running driving working A/C 1986 corvette with a mint interior off to him in June of last year. They kept it outside unprotected for months, until I started showing up all the time to check on the status.

They finally tore it down to the shortblock, and it turned out the issue was a lifter bit the dust and tore up the cam lobe. They quoted me 1500 dollars in parts, and another 2k in labor to put it back together. I bought all of the parts all original GM parts, or reputable aftermarket parts comp cams lifters, etc. I dropped off everything they needed down to the gaskets and seals for a whopping 400 bucks, last August.
It is September 14th 2017, and They have never called me again. I am in the middle of the home buying process right now and perpetually 2 weeks from closing, so I don't want the lender complaining if I drop 3k in the middle of the process, but I am fairly certain they have pushed it outside as a basket case. I don't trust the mechanic thats working on it, it seems like every time I talk to him, he says something else that either doesn't make sense, or is just patently wrong. Tried to tell me that there is a problem with the heads, and that the pushrod hole was not in the right spot, and thats what caused the lifter to fail.

The last 4 times I saw it, not a thing had been done, and my parts were in a cardboard box. I haven't said anything, but as soon as we close on the house, I am going to go down there an raise hell. Also, as this has gone longer and longer, and I have talked to other Vette owners, and local gearheads, this seems to be the general consensus for the shop.

I was planning on getting this thing back 8 months ago, and starting on a turbo project, but thats clearly not going to happen. I am probably going to have to threaten him, get a court order, pull my car out of there and hope they havent scattered the parts all over the shop, take it to another shop, pay them to put it back together, and then sue the Vette Doctors for the cost to cover.

The worst part is, I don't even really want the car anymore, when I get it back, I plan to sell it so that I can get an 89/90 ZF 6 speed as a better starting point.
Thanks for the heads up, we are planing of moving to Cocoa Beach, area, early next year, and have to make sure I don't do business with shop.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:39 AM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I take my 78 SAE to Rick's Automotive Center Inc in Satellite Beach. It's a small shop and the owner Rick is a racer and knows his stuff. His son Cory usually works on my car. They usually have some pretty cool cars on the racks. Very fair on prices and will shoot straight with you. Not sure about a car that new, but I would give them a call. Just as an FYI the owner of the "Vette Dr." doesn't even own a Corvette.... I have spoken with him on the phone, my car has never been there. There's also a speed shop down in Palm Bay that has a good rep, I will try and find the name for you.

Last edited by jlpskydive; 09-16-2017 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Demis (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Demis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlpskydive
I take my 78 SAE to Rick's Automotive Center Inc in Satellite Beach. It's a small shop and the owner Rick is a racer and knows his stuff. His son Cory usually works on my car. They usually have some pretty cool cars on the racks. Very fair on prices and will shoot straight with you. Not sure about a car that new, but I would give them a call. Just as an FYI the owner of the "Vette Dr." doesn't even own a Corvette.... I have spoken with him on the phone, my car has never been there. There's also a speed shop down in Palm Bay that has a good rep, I will try and find the name for you.
Thank you!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Demis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marauderprime

Sorry for the bad experience.....

Get notified of new replies

To Vette doctor Melbourne FL

Quick Reply: Vette doctor Melbourne FL