Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Tennessee vehicle inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 12:52 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Tennessee vehicle inspection?

tell me about the process and what is allowed and not allowed. the two concerns i have on my car is i have tinted front windows and i have American Racing headers with the high flow cats. do these things pose a problem with inspection in the state?
Old 01-27-2019, 10:42 AM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
tell me about the process and what is allowed and not allowed. the two concerns i have on my car is i have tinted front windows and i have American Racing headers with the high flow cats. do these things pose a problem with inspection in the state?
What inspection? I've lived in TN for four years with 5 vehicles and I have had no inspection.

In regards to your tint there are laws that are on the books.
https://www.tinting-laws.com/tennessee/

The only thing that I could find on exhaust is that muffler cutouts are illegal.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by puterami
What inspection? I've lived in TN for four years with 5 vehicles and I have had no inspection.
Some TN counties do have emissions testing. Mine does, I am sorry to say.

I don't think they care about tint. They just do a visual check of having cats, run a scan through the OBD post, and put a sensor gas cap on. I think that's it, at least in my experiences.

Last edited by JDebler; 01-27-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:30 AM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by JDebler
Some TN counties do have emissions testing. Mine does, I am sorry to say.
Wow, glad I live where I do and that it's a county thing, not a state thing.
I see that 5 of the 6 counties are around Nashville with the last being Chattanooga.
https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/smog-check.php
Old 01-29-2019, 03:27 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Don't worry about the inspections. Most of Tennessee don't bother with them. If you move to a county that has them, just register your cars in the next closest county.

The following counties are the only ones that do inspections,
  • Hamilton
  • Davidson
  • Rutherford
  • Sumner
  • Williamson
  • Wilson.
The tinted windshield (other than OEM tinting) is illegal in all of the state!

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 01-29-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:36 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TCW
Don't worry about the inspections. Most of Tennessee don't bother with them. If you move to a county that has them, just register your cars in the next closest county.

The following counties are the only ones that do inspections,
  • Hamilton
  • Davidson
  • Rutherford
  • Sumner
  • Williamson
  • Wilson.
The tinted windshield (other than OEM tinting) is illegal in all of the state!

Tom

not familiar, so i guess franklin and brentwood are in one of those? i do not have windshield just front side windows. and if i remember correctly they are 25%

Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

not familiar, so i guess franklin and brentwood are in one of those? i do not have windshield just front side windows. and if i remember correctly they are 25%
No. Franklin is a county of its own. Brentwood is just a city in Williamson county.

Tom
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Thanks! I am going to get out to the area and spend some time there this summer. Got to see if the area is the right fit for me before making such a move.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yes its not every county, only a few require any inspection or sniff test. The clerk will go outside and check the VIN with you when you register an out-of-state car, thats it, I've never heard of them saying anything about tinting at that time.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:34 PM
Henryr01
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
No. Franklin is a county of its own. Brentwood is just a city in Williamson county.

Tom
YES, Franklin and Brentwood are both cities in Williamson County. I live in Franklin.

Franklin ALSO happens to be a county, but not near us.

I've had a number of "emissions" inspections in Williamson County and passed all of them. My C6 had long-tube headers, "fake" cats, and very loud mufflers. Sometimes they slid a mirror under the car looking for cats...most of the time they didn’t. They ALWAYS connect to the car to make sure there are no engine codes and test the gas cap to see if it held pressure.

After my third year, I quit worrying about it.

Oh, I turned off my rear O2 sensors so that I wouldn't get any "check engine" lights. 😜

Forgot, my window's were tinted too!

Bob...

Last edited by Henryr01; 01-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:39 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

The folks that emission test don't care about window tint. it's strictly pass/fail on emissions. They plug into the OBDII port on 1996 and newer cars..
The state allows 35 window tint as legal. Some tint shops even add a compliance sticker to the driver's side window.

My 1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo is not an OBD car, so they use the tail pipe sniffer. It's passed twice without issue.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

A buddy of mine who works in the office that handles the emissions testing told me that it will be going away soon for all but Davidson county. I’m not sure when but it’s been called a “poor tax” in whatever county that Chattanooga is in and they are doing away with it. He said that because there are so many liberals in Davidson county that they opted to keep it but the rest of the counties will go away from it soon.

Legal window tint on a car is 35% on the sides and rear I believe. I have 15% and 50% on the entire windshield of all of my cars and have been rather fortunate to never have any problem with the law. The only time I was ever messed with for window tint was when I was younger, with loud Mustangs and the cop told me he used the window tint law looking for drugs and DUIs. He didn’t cite me for it
Old 02-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Our state legislature passed a law last year doing away with the stupid smog test but it still has to be approved by a bunch of pencil pushing bureaucrats at the EPA. What a crock. At least next year before it's gone. They check for a cat and either do a sniff test or OBD. But first they take your $9.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Shark
Our state legislature passed a law last year doing away with the stupid smog test but it still has to be approved by a bunch of pencil pushing bureaucrats at the EPA. What a crock. At least next year before it's gone. They check for a cat and either do a sniff test or OBD. But first they take your $9.
$9 LOL. Reminds me of the old SC inspections that they did away with. For $3 they were supposed to check the lights, horn, brakes, etc. For $3 they were losing money just scraping the old sticker off and putting on a new one. Came down to either putting in a real inspection system or doing away with it entirely. They got rid of it entirely.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just glad we are not as sticky as some states. My 70 could never pass 2002 requirements, I don't think. It runs, I put gas in it and pay gas taxes when I do use it.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Tennessee.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:55 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Just pulled my 2009 Z06 w/AHP 116 cam out of semi-storage this past week. Went to get the stupid Sumner Co. emissions done. Rolled in...they hooked up to the OBD-II port and looked under with a mirror (factory exhaust manifolds/cats). If they did anything else, I didn't notice. Paid my $9.00 and went home.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:06 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, and here's a side note...
Late last year, I disconnected my battery for one reason or another (likely trying something for my YouTube channel) and it stored the disconnection in the ECM or wherever. Not long after that, I had to go do emissions testing and failed because of that disconnection. They gave me a got a piece of paper stating that I had a grace period of 60(?) (I don't recall) days to drive around for a while and get the code out of the system. Heck, that put me into December when the car was in storage. So I didn't bother redoing the testing until this week (see above post). But I still had to get my registration tags...

This morning, I took my piece of paper stating that I passed emissions from earlier in the week (see above post) to the DMV and the nice lady said, "You are way past your renewal date." I said, "Yeah, the car was in storage for a while." She printed of an affidavit stating that I wasn't actually driving the car since the tags expired. I signed it. Paid my hundred bucks or so. Went home. DONE.

Car is now nice and legal for another year. Piece of cake...and rather pointless, I think. I also think that it is a system that can be easily circumvented with a little subterfuge. Good thing I am honest.

Get notified of new replies

To Tennessee vehicle inspection?

Old 03-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Consider checking out East Tennessee for a "fit". the weather is better, the housing is many times cheaper. amd the big city of Nashville is about 4 hours away. I live in Knoxville, at the foot of the Smokey Mountains, there are many car events held nearby, housing and taxes are cheap, and the folks are very friendly. We also have the ;largest Corvette club in the country, along with a great Corvette event every spring with literally a hundred venders.
POH yeah,,the "tail of the Dragon" is very close.

PS, no inspections.

Last edited by Phanni; 03-04-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 AM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Phanni
Consider checking out East Tennessee for a "fit". the weather is better, the housing is many times cheaper. amd the big city of Nashville is about 4 hours away. I live in Knoxville, at the foot of the Smokey Mountains, there are many car events held nearby, housing and taxes are cheap, and the folks are very friendly. We also have the ;largest Corvette club in the country, along with a great Corvette event every spring with literally a hundred venders.
POH yeah,,the "tail of the Dragon" is very close.

PS, no inspections.
Shhhhhhhhuuusssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh At least you're sending them to The Dragon, though, instead of the other one which shall remain nameless.

Last edited by Capt. Shark; 03-07-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks! I am going to get out to the area and spend some time there this summer. Got to see if the area is the right fit for me before making such a move.
As a former NJ resident, I think you'll like it more down here. A lot less liberal crap to put up with and a lot less snow.

Quick Reply: Tennessee vehicle inspection?