Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Interesting Flood Car Being Auctioned Miami Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Default Interesting Flood Car Being Auctioned Miami Area

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Chevro...4383.l4275.c10

Yeah, I know. Stay away, yada, yada, yada. But, I am intrigued -- AT THE RIGHT PRICE (say if it goes for $29K or so). If it was a fresh water flood, did not get above the floorboard, and was properly repaired with all lower modules replaced, it ought to be good to go. I am a firm "buy cheap, drive a lot, sell cheap" sort of guy -- and have had good luck before with R-titled vehicles. Never a flood car, however, as the risk seems higher to me.

Anyway, I may actually be "setting up" more bidders, but I was hoping that someone in the Miami area might be willing to look this thing over and ask (face to face, looking for "tells") the right questions and report back. Perhaps someone (even me!) on this Forum might land a very nice C7 at a C6 price.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks like people are bidding on it!
Old 02-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep!

I wonder if some bidders are missing the fact that it is salvage! It’s not super-obvious.

Looks beautiful but can’t value it anywhere near clean title.

Regardless, I am following it.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

https://poctra.com/2016-CHEVROLET-CO...Nj/SAVANNAH-GA

Wow that water line was pretty high. Current owner claims to have driven is 4K miles after a proper repair, but I think that's a real risky deal! The seats were changed out, though...

Love this POCTRA site!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:36 AM
cal45
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
https://poctra.com/2016-CHEVROLET-CO...Nj/SAVANNAH-GA

Wow that water line was pretty high. Current owner claims to have driven is 4K miles after a proper repair, but I think that's a real risky deal! The seats were changed out, though...

Love this POCTRA site!
I wouldn't go near this.
Good luck if you do. Keep us posted.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cal45
I wouldn't go near this.
Good luck if you do. Keep us posted.
Staying away. If it were closer and I could really examine it I might consider it. But that thing was REALLY flooded. And if salt water? Yikes.

I will follow it to see what the market values it at.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 02-02-2019 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cal45 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:24 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I owned a car that had Hurricane Sandy damage for a little while. Price was right, great deal, the whole bit. Went out on a limb.

Never again. I was left with a passionate hatred for that car that I had never before experienced for an inanimate metal object.

Ever heard of the game whack-a-mole? That was my experience with this car. Random small but infuriating issues would pop up all the time and then disappear. Or I'd fix one gremlin and a month later there would be another. The seat memory was consistently inconsistent. It never knew where it was supposed to go, or if. open the door to get out, seat might go back. might go all the way. Might go half way. Hit memory 1 and maybe it goes where it belongs or maybe it mashes my knees into the dash. The gas door popper corroded and it wasn't even in the water. Passenger mirror had a mind of its' own. Then it didn't. Then a month later it did. In the morning I'd go to put my briefcase on the passenger seat but the door would randomly refuse to open and then at lunch time it would be fine. I'd take it apart and clean the contacts and that made no difference at all. Just more and more and more stupid issues that taken singularly would be no biggy, but collectively and continually were a total pain in the neck.

I just could not wait to get rid of that thing.

Unless you're in a position to replace every inch of wire, every switch, every relay, every sensor every contact, I wouldn't touch a flood car.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Great cautionary story.

I know the wiring harness and seats were replaced. Beyond that, who knows?

Very interesting to see what it sells for. I’m seeing nice low miles clean 1LT Stingrays dipping into the mid to high 30’s.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, it went for $28K, Somebody either got a steal or a nightmare -- perhaps a combination of both.

On the off chance that the buyer is a Forum member, it would be great if they could share how they got confident enough to pay $28K for this car and maybe periodically post about the ownership experience so we can all learn something...

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Flood Car Being Auctioned Miami Area

Quick Reply: Interesting Flood Car Being Auctioned Miami Area