Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

[SMC] Just need to vent!

Old 07-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Y2KVert
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor 06
Default [SMC] Just need to vent!

You know these cars we all love and adore are really technological marvels in there own right. Hours and hours of research went into the making of the C5. Some of the brightest minds in the automotive industry worked together in designing this marvel of engineering. My question is this. Who was the moron that designed the A/C drain system on these cars? Possibly this part was designed on an "off day"? Maybe by a janitor? Long story short Marie and I had a wondeful trip to the mountains today, unfortunalty the car finished the trip on a roll back.

Seems this ingenious A/C drain system got plugged up and flooded, yes I mean flooded the foot well compartment on my vert and shortered out the BSM. How much water is flooded? When we got the car to Dragon's Breath Performance, Bob imedaitley started vacuming water out of the foot well and jacked the car up to dislodge what ever it was that had glogged the drain ( the piece looked like an Elephant booger). After draining it was still dripping water from the inside onto the BSM. Upon further examination the fan motor was full of water too!

Now Elanore is in the capalble hands of Bob at DBP, drying out for the night. We will test the BSM tomorrow to see if it is fried or not. Bob thinks that it was just the wiring that got wet and not the internal parts of the BSM. Believe me my fingers are crossed in hopes that it isnt fried.

Props go out to Blount Wrecker Service for and outstanding job towing the car. Much care was taken by the driver while both loading and unloading the car. Also a big thanks to Grant and his wife who showed up just as the wrecker driver was loading the car. Grant with his wonderful since of humor calmed me down considerably. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. He told me that my car was the best looking car he had ever seen on a roll back. After all the frustation of the evening it was good to be able to laugh about it. Thanks Grant.

One last and most inmportant thank you goes to Bob "Violator" Moss of DBP. It was 11:30 at night when we got the car to Bob's shop and he immediatley started working on the car, which he did not have to do. He could have waited until the morning to even fool with it but he jumped right in and started diagnosing the problem. Bob is a true freind and the best Vette mechanic hands down!

I should know more about the car tomorrow I will update when I know. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:52 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Originally Posted by T Wayman
You know these cars we all love and adore are really technological marvels in there own right. Hours and hours of research went into the making of the C5. Some of the brightest minds in the automotive industry worked together in designing this marvel of engineering. My question is this. Who was the moron that designed the A/C drain system on these cars? Possibly this part was designed on an "off day"? Maybe by a janitor? Long story short Marie and I had a wondeful trip to the mountains today, unfortunalty the car finished the trip on a roll back.

Seems this ingenious A/C drain system got plugged up and flooded, yes I mean flooded the foot well compartment on my vert and shortered out the BSM. How much water is flooded? When we got the car to Dragon's Breath Performance, Bob imedaitley started vacuming water out of the foot well and jacked the car up to dislodge what ever it was that had glogged the drain ( the piece looked like an Elephant booger). After draining it was still dripping water from the inside onto the BSM. Upon further examination the fan motor was full of water too!

Now Elanore is in the capalble hands of Bob at DBP, drying out for the night. We will test the BSM tomorrow to see if it is fried or not. Bob thinks that it was just the wiring that got wet and not the internal parts of the BSM. Believe me my fingers are crossed in hopes that it isnt fried.

Props go out to Blount Wrecker Service for and outstanding job towing the car. Much care was taken by the driver while both loading and unloading the car. Also a big thanks to Grant and his wife who showed up just as the wrecker driver was loading the car. Grant with his wonderful since of humor calmed me down considerably. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. He told me that my car was the best looking car he had ever seen on a roll back. After all the frustation of the evening it was good to be able to laugh about it. Thanks Grant.

One last and most inmportant thank you goes to Bob "Violator" Moss of DBP. It was 11:30 at night when we got the car to Bob's shop and he immediatley started working on the car, which he did not have to do. He could have waited until the morning to even fool with it but he jumped right in and started diagnosing the problem. Bob is a true freind and the best Vette mechanic hands down!

I should know more about the car tomorrow I will update when I know. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Sorry for all the trouble Tony....

Hopefully, the BSM is ok and Elanore will be back on the road today.
Kudos to Bob for jumping on the task as quickly as he did...

Good luck
Old 07-25-2004, 09:48 AM
MrWhan
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Very sorry to hear that! I've had the "clogged" problem some (before the flood stage) and seen it happen to someone else and had to be flat-bedded also.

I hope that is will dry and be ok.

If there is a silver lining to something like this, it is knowing where you can take it to and be looked at
Old 07-25-2004, 10:18 AM
The Exception
Burning Brakes

ETCC Ms.Corvette
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Yours is not the first I have heard of with this problem, but Bob is the man to fix it.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:46 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've had the evaporator drain tube clog 3x. The first time was on a trip to Ohio. We found a dealership that blew the debris clear, but when they re-installed the tube they apparently didn't push it far enough into the hole. Somewhere on the drive back to NC it fell off. So we rolled down the windows & continued on. When I took Emerald to the local dealer down here & told them what the problem was they discovered that the tube was missing & repaired it. However on the drive home the same problem occured & she was taken right back to the dealer. They told me that they had not stuck the tube in as far as they should have. I've had no problems with it since then. When the problem initially happened the active handling kept turning itself on & off!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:03 PM
noelc5
Burning Brakes

Goodness this sounds like a horrible problem. Note to self to check this area on mine ASAP.

If Bob was able to get the BSM out and it dries I think you'll be ok. My cell phone has drank quite a bit of beer before and dried out over night. Hope yours is ok. BSMs are not cheap so I hope you're ok.

In related AC problems, mine is constantly throwing codes. I feel your pain as well.

Best of luck and to Bob for taking care of it at night.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:08 PM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Originally Posted by barkingowl
I've had the evaporator drain tube clog 3x. The first time was on a trip to Ohio. We found a dealership that blew the debris clear, but when they re-installed the tube they apparently didn't push it far enough into the hole. Somewhere on the drive back to NC it fell off. So we rolled down the windows & continued on. When I took Emerald to the local dealer down here & told them what the problem was they discovered that the tube was missing & repaired it. However on the drive home the same problem occured & she was taken right back to the dealer. They told me that they had not stuck the tube in as far as they should have. I've had no problems with it since then. When the problem initially happened the active handling kept turning itself on & off!

Ok...Where is the Evaporator drain plug located....? Got to check mine

And another thing...Where do I get the Steering column lock bypass kit...? Better jump on that mod as well.....

while we are at it...anyone have info on a 427 to drop in BLUR
Old 07-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by jim482
And another thing...Where do I get the Steering column lock bypass kit...? Better jump on that mod as well.....
You don't have one yet?

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...d=220&pcid=156

This is JMX's bypass, he's a member here. It's the one I have in both of my cars.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:30 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by jim482
Ok...Where is the Evaporator drain plug located....? Got to check mine
Its in the engine compartment below the battery I think. Take Blur over to Bob's & check it out.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:31 PM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

[QUOTE=Topless]You don't have one yet?

[QUOTE]

No...not yet...

will have it soon though......

thanks for the link....
Old 07-25-2004, 07:03 PM
GHornet

Same thing happened to Hornet on our way back from Fla. Had to have the fan replaced and dry the vette out with fan. Spider's build there nest's in the tube. the tube is about 7/16'' ID but narrows at the end to about 1/4'' my next oil change I'm going to cut the end off so when something is trying to pass out of the end of the tube there is no restriction.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:35 PM
MrWhan
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

...darn...sounds like a kidney stone...
Old 07-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Y2KVert
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor 06

Update: The BCM is fried, well sort of fried. Everything works on the car accept when I open the door now it chimes as if the key was in it or the lights are on. Oh well not that big of a deal I guess.

Thanks Bob you did another awesome job and pulled my feet out of the fire, ummmm or maybe I should say WATER!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:00 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Update: The BCM is fried, well sort of fried. Everything works on the car accept when I open the door now it chimes as if the key was in it or the lights are on. Oh well not that big of a deal I guess.

Thanks Bob you did another awesome job and pulled my feet out of the fire, ummmm or maybe I should say WATER!
I remember reading a thread in C5G last year about someone that shared our problem & wound up wrapping the BCM in a ziplock bag to keep water away from it.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Tims94
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is why I own a junkie C4..oh, and because I cant afford a C5. Best of luck getting your car fixed.

And I will go on the record saying that I havent seen many C5's as sharp as yours Twayman. The wheels on the silver makes it look like its going 140 sitting still! Your car is pretty tough!!
Old 07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

geez i just missed you tony i was there until 1045 that night after you left the msg for bob but i figured i couldnt be much help so i left... sorry about the car man and thanx for reminding me to have that checked
Old 07-26-2004, 05:03 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your baby, Tony. If anyone can get her running again, it's Bob-O! I hope nothing is fried. You're scaring me away from the C-5! Hang in there everyone and be safe! I can't wait to get back down there!

Get notified of new replies

To [SMC] Just need to vent!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [SMC] Just need to vent!