Southern California Southern California

+-+-+- Monterey Weekend - What a trip! Here are my comments and pictures…..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 03:49 AM
Halls 2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +-+-+- Monterey Weekend - What a trip! Here are my comments and pictures…..

Linked below are my photos from the CF weekend event held in Pacific Grove, Carmel, Laguna Seca, and Pebble Beach. First let me say what a weekend and what a show. If there is anything about cars one might like rather they are new, old, fast, rare, one of a kind, never been on public display, interesting, or just flat beautiful you could find it in the greater Monterey area this past weekend. If you were interested in people they were there as well from movie stars to Sterling Moss, to Jay Leno. Sunday, I’m standing there at the Concours d'Elegance, camera around my neck, admiring a extremely rare 1899 Steam powered Mobile that is actually being operated by it’s owner and I look up and there is Jay Leno standing there admiring the same automobile with his camera around his neck. When it comes to beautiful cars we are all equal admirers from all walks of life.

If you like cars there was no better place on earth to be. If you like Corvettes there was absolutely no better place to be on earth. Not only were there vintage racing Corvettes, there were show vettes, rally vettes, and there were between 30-40 Corvette Forum Corvettes. Many of the forum vettes rivaled many of the show cars on display.

Unlike a museum where the cars are on static display these cars were running. Some were racing, some in the rally and on Sunday, at the Pebble Beach show, I not only got to see one of a kind and extremely rare cars up close I also saw and heard many of them run. What an extraordinary car show.

If you like Corvettes! They were everywhere this weekend. On display in downtown Pacific Grove, in the rally, racing on Saturday at Laguna Seca, on display at LS, and of course on display and for sale at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

If Hot Rods are your thing, well Concours d'Elegance had on display some of the most collectable early 30’s coupes. How about the Little Duce Coupe that was used for the Beach Boys album cover or Chrisman Bros Bonneville salt flat racer or the Russetta 142 mph ’32 coupe.

Don’t like old cars, well there was the 2003 Dodge Viper stretching her legs at Laguna Seca on Saturday and a number of concept and early production cars on display at the Concours d'Elegance on Sunday such as the Jeepster, Spyker C8, Chrysler Crossfire, Dodge Super8 Hemi, the Ferrari 550 Barchetta Pininfarina, Ford Forty-nine, Lincoln MK 9 Coupe, 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL, and the 2003 Cadillac CTS. I will include some pictures of these as well below.

The pictures below are uploaded in 2048 x 1536 and will print nicely to 8x10 or larger. Just click on the thumb-nail picture to get 480x360 then click again to get the 2048x1536. While viewing in full size, ‘right click’ on picture and save to your hard disk. The Yahoo picture printing service is inexpensive and the quality is very good if you see a print or two you would like. The Yahoo 8x10’s from this resolution are 35mm film enlargement quality.

For those that would like to save the down load, just email me your Smail address and I would be happy to send you a CD with all my pictures from the weekend. Each picture is over a 500,000 bytes and is in 3M pixel resolution and there are around 125 pictures from the three days. With a good printer they will print very nice. I will also set up an automated slide show on the CD set to music for your viewing pleasure.

That’s it. Thanks again to all that made the weekend happen and to all my old and new friends here are my pictures. :D

Al & Maria

Friday, August 17, 2001, PG Car Show and Rally-
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alvinh388...7-19%26.src=ph

Saturday, August 18, 2001, Laguna Seca Corvette Corral, & Paddock area-
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alvinh388...view=t&.view=t

Sunday, August 19, 2001, Concours d'Elegance at Pebble Beach-
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alvinh388...view=t&.view=t

[Modified by Halls 2, 12:28 AM 8/21/2001]
Old 08-21-2001, 06:22 AM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: +-+-+- Monterey Weekend - What a trip! Here are my comments and pictures….. (Halls 2)

Al sorry we didn't get a chance to talk much, especialy at the track. Next time lets set up dinner in advance.
My Marie says hi to you and your Maria :seeya
Old 08-21-2001, 11:13 AM
CALVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: +-+-+- Monterey Weekend - What a trip! Here are my comments and pictures….. (Halls 2)

Another great job! Next time I make a run to Delano we'll have to have a :cheers:
Old 08-21-2001, 11:53 AM
DAWS C5
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Really great pics, Al. Have never seen 3 meg quality - awesome. Next time I want a pic of my car Good to see you and Maria again. :seeya
Old 08-21-2001, 01:18 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Hi AL and Maria,

A super description of the events and an equally super display of quality photographs to document all the activities! I'll need to be in touch with you soon to ask for some of these wonderful pictures to use in a project. Thanks for sharing them with us! :cheers:

Terry & Sue
Old 08-21-2001, 06:50 PM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Al,

Those were also some great shots of the weekend. You and Larry are great photographers. I didn't see the Leno picture were he gave you the peace sign as he was riding in the Bentley, maybe I just missed it. I have saved several of the pictures to my hard drive. Please say "Hi" to Maria for Linda and me.

Herb
Old 08-21-2001, 07:38 PM
C1 CMEGO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Great Pics

I using the Pic of our 58 as wallpaper on my PC now
Great meeting you & all the other forum people looking foward to next time !
JJ
Old 08-21-2001, 08:26 PM
Halls 2
Pro

NastyC5, we missed Marie as well, make sure you bring her next time. Tell her hello for us. Ya, we got you down for dinner on the next one for sure. Just let us know when the SoBay folks what to rally again and we are there.

CALVette, Delano! People don't go to Delano, they leave Delano. Ya, next time you are in the neighborhood drinking a beer sounds like a plan to me. :cheers:

Daws C5, Sorry I didn't get a pix of your hotrod but I will be sure to get one next time. I filled up all my memory cards with pixs this trip and I could have taken a couple of hundred more pictures. Next time I will bring more memory and batteries so that I don't have to limit my picture taking.

Terry, ya, let me know how I can help you out with your project. When I get home and looked at my pictures I wish I would have spent more time with my photography as I know how to do a better job but just didn't take the time. I just run around and take a snapshot here and a snapshot there and spend little time composing and getting the shot right. I really enjoy making the rounds talking to everyone more than I like taking pictures, and I really like taking pictures.

4DCYKEY, You got mail..... Glad you liked the pixs. When one likes cars, and photography, and I find myself at a car show it's a lot of fun for sure. I hope the pix of the 510 was the shot you wanted. I deleted about dozen or so pictures that didn't come out very well and I think that one or two of the Leno ones got canned. I love the digital camera as I can take a hundred pictures of something delete 90 of them and have ten great shots. With my 35mm I would do the same thing and after $100 worth of processing I would still have the 10 great shots but at a much higher cost. Now all I have to do is recharge my batteries and off I go again.... click, click...

JJ, your 58 is looking very good so it was easy to get some good pixs. I'm always amazed how well the Corvette styling holds up over the years where a C1 captures as much or more attention as a brand new C5 at shows.

I've dumped the pixs off on a couple of CDs if anyone would like copies.

Cheers....
;)
Old 08-21-2001, 11:44 PM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Al,

The picture of the Datsun 510 came out great. People on the Datsun 510 forum haven't stopped talking about how John Morton in the 510 was passing the American TransAm V8s until someone in a Camaro forced a slight accident with the 510. :cool:

Makes me really itch to get my '72 510 (original owner) restored and up and running with a V8 drivetrain...

Al you have email. I would like a copy of the pixs if you have on CD. Let me know the cost, including shipping, when you send it. :seeya

Herb
Old 08-22-2001, 12:12 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al -

Great to hang with you and Maria this weekend! Karen and I had a super time - great drive up and back, and three days with car folks. Ironic that the Sunday activity we finally selected was to get in the car and drive further up the coast to Half Moon Bay!

If you have a CD of the photos, I'd sure be willing to pay whatever, given that I am on dial-up. Shipping address is

2562 La Costa Ave
Carlsbad, CA 92009

Thanks, and see you down the road - with the rest of the "usual suspects."
Old 08-22-2001, 01:27 AM
Bullitt
Racer

Hey, Big Al you sure take good pix. Really great to hang out with the bunch from NoCal and put faces with screen names. Share alot of your sentiments regarding the weekend but most glad to have made a great bunch of friends.
Both Esther and I were glad we could hang with the Big Dog and Maria.
We will certainly look forward to future opportunities for us all getting together. :cheers: :seeya
Bob :D

Get notified of new replies

To +-+-+- Monterey Weekend - What a trip! Here are my comments and pictures…..

Quick Reply: +-+-+- Monterey Weekend - What a trip! Here are my comments and pictures…..