2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default California, Smog & Headers

I also posted this in the C4 Tech, wrong Forum, here we go

Gents,

Today I passed SMOG inspection.

I do not know how to read the "SMOG" numbers, there is a picture below, Could anyone explain?

I have Hooker Shorties Headers, the shop did not give me any crap or hard time, did not even mentioned them so, my question is, let's say I installed long tubes and installed the air pump lines into it, will I pass SMOG? If the answer is no, why? What does long tube headers do to make the car fail the SMOG test?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:34 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

As I understand it, you are not allowed to move or alter the catalytic converters. Even though it may pass the sniffer test, it will not pass the visual test. Short tube headers are ok because the cats remain the same and in the same place.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
nordy racer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLmajer
As I understand it, you are not allowed to move or alter the catalytic converters. Even though it may pass the sniffer test, it will not pass the visual test. Short tube headers are ok because the cats remain the same and in the same place.
what shops even look up under cars anymore.. i have on my 300zx 2 high flow cats from the stock 4 cat system.. the car passes smog and no one has even looked (and if they did it looks stock).
Old 07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by nordy racer
what shops even look up under cars anymore.. i have on my 300zx 2 high flow cats from the stock 4 cat system.. the car passes smog and no one has even looked (and if they did it looks stock).
Some TEST ONLY shops have been known to use mirrors to look under the cars for mods.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
MarkT 2002
Pro

As long as you're below the "MAX" numbers you pass. The average is FYI only. MAX and MEAS are the two key numbers. You passed easily.

LT with high-flow cats will pass the sniffer depending on their age and their temp at the time of the test. They will not pass the visual inspection however, but as others have stated, depending on what the person that's doing the inspection recognizes as aftermarket non-CARB approved parts you stand a reasonable chance of passing.

I just had my car smogged 6 months ago and passed, we did have to really heat up the metal-matrix cats to pass the HC (I passed by 1ppm at the 15mph test).

Good luck
Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
GS Ron
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to go to a test only station last Dec. The tech asked me what cam I had in it and a few other questions. Then he got down on his knees and looked under the car and said if I had put long tubes on it, he would fail it. As it was it passed with no problems.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is correct if the shorty headers have a CARB EO #....... however.......

There are a ton of "I passed smog just fine" posts from people who, by their own admission of mods, should fail the visual portion of the smog test. This suggests that there are a lot of shops that either don't do visuals or don't do them seriously. And that's just fine with me...

However, I know that CARB, EPA, whoever the smog police are, are only going to get more involved as time goes on. There are already a few instances of shops who have gotten some serious fines.

I believe that if you choose to roll the dice on the visual, that is your choice. From the posts on this forum it's obvious that the odds are in your favor......... for now at least....

But I see it as........ it's the stakes, not the odds... you need to worry about.

You probably won't get "caught" but if you do, it is a major pain and can cost a lot of money(been there, done that).....

That is why I have a mod plan that stays within CARB guidelines. I won't have an 800HP monster, but I'll bet I get over 500HP and that will be just fine with me....

Just my 2 cents......

Last edited by hattitude; 07-04-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Some TEST ONLY shops have been known to use mirrors to look under the cars for mods.

I had to take my 06 ZO 6 to a state only to be smogged. Nobody else had the software to smog it. They actually raised it and checked for the right stuff underneath. Most, not all don't pay attention to the underneath of the car. Anytime you change from the head back, you can be flunked even if it passes smog. No mods from factory setup are legal. I stand to be corrected.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all advice. I guess, legally, the long tubes are out of the question. I've seen lots of CALIFORNIA Vettes with Long Tubes.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

You can put them on OK,I would just suggest keeping all your original equipment just in case the need arises.You could always switch back if you have all the stuff.Yes ,it can be a PITA,but at least you can get legal again that way...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Auto manufacturers spend a couple of dollars getting their exhaust systems certified by EPA. When owners change their stock exhaust to a "modified" system, the EPA considers that "tampering." Wanna guess how much the fine is for "tampering?" Whatever you think it is, times it by about 10 and you'll be closer. Chances are, you won't get caught...unless you tell everyone on a website...
Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
2005avtj
Advanced

Nice! The vette passed with effortlessness
Old 07-10-2008, 07:43 PM
girlyZ0sick
Advanced

Originally Posted by PLRX
I also posted this in the C4 Tech, wrong Forum, here we go

Gents,

Today I passed SMOG inspection.

I do not know how to read the "SMOG" numbers, there is a picture below, Could anyone explain?

I have Hooker Shorties Headers, the shop did not give me any crap or hard time, did not even mentioned them so, my question is, let's say I installed long tubes and installed the air pump lines into it, will I pass SMOG? If the answer is no, why? What does long tube headers do to make the car fail the SMOG test?

I have long tubes and it passes clean... it's just the visiual and it really all depends on the person that's inspecting it... but I think most shops are cool about passing it.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you passed.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by girlyZ0sick
I have long tubes and it passes clean... it's just the visiual and it really all depends on the person that's inspecting it... but I think most shops are cool about passing it.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Andork
Advanced

Default Cost to Manufacturer of getting CARB EO?

Gang... the question I've always had is how much does it cost (money or otherwise) for an exhaust manufacturer to get a CARB EO # for their headers & other exhaust goodies?

Obviously there is some real cost, otherwise all the shops would apply for (and presumably get) an exemption order...

So what gives? Too financially expensive? The smog number have to be as good or better than OEM?

I know the S/C manufacturers get their CARB EO numbers, so why not the header guys?

thx,
andork
Old 07-16-2008, 02:46 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably b/c the stock Cats have to stay where they are.

Get notified of new replies

To California, Smog & Headers

Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Glad another one got passed the sniffer.

Being exempt is always a good thing too.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwpatte

I had to take my 06 ZO 6 to a state only to be smogged. Nobody else had the software to smog it. They actually raised it and checked for the right stuff underneath. Most, not all don't pay attention to the underneath of the car. Anytime you change from the head back, you can be flunked even if it passes smog. No mods from factory setup are legal. I stand to be corrected.
Why would an 06 need to be smogged in CA? I thunk new cars had four years before smog? (That's what it was when I was a tech)

Hell, my 2002 Monte has never been smogged.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Why would an 06 need to be smogged in CA? I thunk new cars had four years before smog? (That's what it was when I was a tech)

Hell, my 2002 Monte has never been smogged.
Whenever a vehicle changes hands, it gets smogged in Cali. What a racket.

Quick Reply: California, Smog & Headers