Southern California Southern California

Test only smog check - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Test only smog check - need help!

Lucky me ! Just got my renewal and it said I have to go to Smog Only test station. Not only does it cost more but from what I heard they are real sticklers for equipment and CARB #'s. Can anyone PM me with any advice for a lightly modded corvette friendly station? Please!!! Nothing crazy as far as mods but the visible intake and loud exhaust have me bit concerned, I'll have it returned for the check so it should pass the sniffer with no problems.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
BlueRag
Pro

Originally Posted by zagger
Lucky me ! Just got my renewal and it said I have to go to Smog Only test station. Not only does it cost more but from what I heard they are real sticklers for equipment and CARB #'s. Can anyone PM me with any advice for a lightly modded corvette friendly station? Please!!! Nothing crazy as far as mods but the visible intake and loud exhaust have me bit concerned, I'll have it returned for the check so it should pass the sniffer with no problems.
You should swap in your stock intake assembly if you are worried......Loud mufflers shouldn't be a problem as long as you still have cats
Any cam or? that we should know about
I passed smog with my AFR heads and 225/230 cam and shorty headers
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Mild cam , AFR's, ported TB etc. All these things don't worry me much, someone would really have to know Corvettes to spot these. Guess I'll have to dust off the old intake and start wrenching . I'm sure I would have no problem with sniffer, but with my luck lately I will get the guy that knows his stuff and ding me on equipment. Don't wont to risk getting gross polluter label for something as stupid as an air filter or intake. I just love California every two years!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
BlueRag
Pro

Mild cam , AFR's, ported TB etc. All these things don't worry me much, someone would really have to know Corvettes to spot these. Guess I'll have to dust off the old intake and start wrenching . I'm sure I would have no problem with sniffer, but with my luck lately I will get the guy that knows his stuff and ding me on equipment. Don't wont to risk getting gross polluter label for something as stupid as an air filter or intake. I just love California every two years!
I put on a Callaway Honker intake when I built up my motor because it's a great intake, and it has a CARB EO sticker

The AFR heads have an EO# on their Site:

"For the ultimate high performance street LS1/LS2/LS6 aluminum cylinder head AFR’s all new 205cc emission legal E/O # D250-4 are your only choice"

Other than that, if your tail pipe emissions are marginal at passing, you could add 1/2 gallon or more of denatured alcohol from home depot to just less than 1/2 tank of gas. This will help lower your HC emissions, but you'll want to fill up the tank with gas after the test. With some self tuning and alcohol, my emissions were 3-ppm HC at idle, and 0-ppm at 2500! (up here they allow 100/130 ppm HC). Not bad for a 442 RWHP LS6

Good luck
Stan

Last edited by BlueRag; 02-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM
JohnsC5
Drifting

I've had good luck with Tri City Smog in Oceanside (north of 78 off Emerald). Not sure if they're a test only station, but you can call and ask. My prior car had mods similar to yours and passed w/o problem.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
rickko
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my '04 in for smog test a few weeks ago. It had a Donaldson Blackwing intake and a Vaaram smooth air tunnel.

They guy asked if I'd hot rodded the car. I said, "No." He tested it and it passed with flying colors. Then he asked, "You got a CARB number for the intake and air tunnel." I said, "No." He said, "I've got to fail the visual." I had to pay for the test.

Took it home. Replaced the BLACKWING and the air tunnel w/stock stuff. Took it back. Funnies thing, it tested WORSE than before with the Donaldson! (but passed fine) I got charged 50% less for second test.

Somewhat expensive learning experience. I thought I'd give it a try without swapping back to stock.

I know he knew he was going to fail it. He looked under the hood before he started the test. He could have asked if I had a CARB # when he saw the non-stock items but he waited till the complete test was done. I presume so he'd get another 50% out of me when I brought it back.

..rickko..
Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
jmzvet
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rickko
I know he knew he was going to fail it. He looked under the hood before he started the test. He could have asked if I had a CARB # when he saw the non-stock items but he waited till the complete test was done. I presume so he'd get another 50% out of me when I brought it back.
A holes like that really pizz me off
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ lol scandalous
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
C5Vette168
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

How do they determine which cars for to a Test Only Station and which ones go to a regular Smog Station. Did you fail smog before?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Supposedly random, Id bet they find what groups of cars are typically modded and hit them . Used to have to take my 87 can and 90Z in every stinkin yr for test only.

You pretty much have to be legal, no fudgin/paying on the backside on those.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM
rickko
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5Vette168
How do they determine which cars for to a Test Only Station ...
I've heard (hearsay) the state's computers monitor the test results of all cars tested. Once a particular engine starts generally showing poor readings the state moves that model/engine to the Test Only category.

Then again, my girlfriend's car gets the Test Only notice every other cycle.

I had a '93 Cadillac Allante for some years. I always had to take it to a Test Only station. It always passed but I guess in general as a group they don't.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your going on the run on Sat. talk with me about this.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I took my '04 in for smog test a few weeks ago. It had a Donaldson Blackwing intake and a Vaaram smooth air tunnel.

They guy asked if I'd hot rodded the car. I said, "No." He tested it and it passed with flying colors. Then he asked, "You got a CARB number for the intake and air tunnel." I said, "No." He said, "I've got to fail the visual." I had to pay for the test.

Took it home. Replaced the BLACKWING and the air tunnel w/stock stuff. Took it back. Funnies thing, it tested WORSE than before with the Donaldson! (but passed fine) I got charged 50% less for second test.

Somewhat expensive learning experience. I thought I'd give it a try without swapping back to stock.

..rickko..
That sucks! I asked the guy Who did mine about the Intake while he was doing the wife`s car. He told me ahead of time if it didn`t have a CARB # it would fail the visual before he tested it. So I swapped it out with the stock airbox before I took it in. Its easy to do & not worry about it.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Good news, it passed the sniffer without trouble and the visual went OK! All I had to do is give the guy a list of CARB #'s before the test and got assurance from him the visual would go without trouble before we began testing!!! You can get a list of CARB #'s from CaliforniaARB web site.

How do they determine which cars for to a Test Only Station and which ones go to a regular Smog Station. Did you fail smog before?
Never failed a smog b4 nor did I test above the average. From what I herd it's a luck of the draw. They pick a random number of cars each year and require Test Only, suppose to keep these stations in business since they usually charge more and suppose be more honest. They apparently have no incentive to fail you since they don;t do repairs. Truth is they have incentive to fail because people will have to retest and they usually offer second time discount. What genius politician came up with this idea.

If your going on the run on Sat. talk with me about this.
Hey RoHo, had to work and could not do the run. Did anyone show up with the rain ?

Last edited by zagger; 02-12-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

..rickko..
I know this is going to be a stupid question (sorry but I am still learning) and I might even get insults for asking - But "What are CARB numbers" and where are they found ? I was thinking about getting an air Intake like Vararam or Blackwing but now I am confused and scared.

I am in Southern California. My C5 Vette is stock with only an aftermarket Cat-back exhasust.

Last edited by saxtech; 02-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Hey RoHo, had to work and could not do the run. Did anyone show up with the rain ?
It's tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saxtech
I know this is going to be a stupid question (sorry but I am still learning) and I might even get insults for asking - But "What are CARB numbers" and where are they found ? I was thinking about getting an air Intake like Vararam or Blackwing but now I am confused and scared.

I am in Southern California. My C5 Vette is stock with only an aftermarket Cat-back exhasust.
California Air Resource Board. They certify compliance for aftermarket parts that would have an impact in the combustion process, from air intake all the way to exhaust pre-cat. So any part that fits this description must have an EO (executive order) number that is issued by CARB that indicates the given part does not adversly affect emmissions.

For instance, you will find shorty headers with this number but never long tubes as they will ususally cause the exhaust to cool before it enters the Catalytic Converter and/or it will move the cat further down the line (if not replacing altogether). This reduces the ability of the converter to perform as required.

Get notified of new replies

To Test only smog check - need help!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
California Air Resource Board. They certify compliance for aftermarket parts that would have an impact in the combustion process, from air intake all the way to exhaust pre-cat. So any part that fits this description must have an EO (executive order) number that is issued by CARB that indicates the given part does not adversly affect emmissions.

For instance, you will find shorty headers with this number but never long tubes as they will ususally cause the exhaust to cool before it enters the Catalytic Converter and/or it will move the cat further down the line (if not replacing altogether). This reduces the ability of the converter to perform as required.
So do Air Intakes and Tunnels like Vararam or Blackwing come with this number ?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
petercln
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saxtech
So do Air Intakes and Tunnels like Vararam or Blackwing come with this number ?
No, but my car passed with a vararam on it at a test only station. Never even asked the guy about it. Just take the ugly vararam sticker off the thing, they most likely do not see enought corvettes to remember what a stock air box looks like.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

What they don't know won't hurt you.

Quick Reply: Test only smog check - need help!