Southern California Southern California

So Cal crew: Racing at CA Speedway this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

They changed the track slightly with cones. Time was 1:47.90 iirc. Qualifying times were in the :49 and :50's
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
They changed the track slightly with cones. Time was 1:47.90 iirc. Qualifying times were in the :49 and :50's

Yes, the track was a little tighter and a little slower, especially around the important speed building area before going onto the oval. The really narrowed the racing line and sharpened the last apex.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Until Bob took out all the cones for us a few times..
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice lap time .

Originally Posted by Olitho
Yes, the track was a little tighter and a little slower, especially around the important speed building area before going onto the oval. The really narrowed the racing line and sharpened the last apex.
Well you were right, that track really is a series of dragstrips separated by tight corners. The oval is pretty fun and it's the fastest I've ever been on a track. The cones throughout the track make it a little different, almost like a big auto-x course. People hit them and then you need to modify your line to adapt. Keeps things interesting. I guess overall it's a pretty safe track. If you completely lose brakes coming down the oval into turn 3 you have about a 1/2 mile of runoff . Here's the vid from my race. I was pretty disappointed with my mental errors and I basically lost the race by a series of screw-ups. I think it was my first spin in maybe 2 years? But I accomplished what I set out to do: get my car's annual tech, get my first scca race and see how the events are run, and meet some of the other T1 racers. I had a great time and look forward to more races with you guys.

http://www.vimeo.com/19112542

Bill.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Great time Chris

DH
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Oh yeah, I also wanted to post up my thoughts about the T1 suspension vs. the coilovers I have been running. I think they are pretty similar to pfadt coilovers from what I remember. The car feels very good overall. I didn't have time to check my alignment, corner balance, or get into shock settings much, but the car felt very good. My LG coilovers have a stiffer front spring which I think keeps more rear grip during turn-in. So I probably will have to modify my driving technique with the T1 setup. I didn't really notice the rubber bushings vs. poly bushings except one time braking into turn 3 the car wobbled side to side a bit. I will have more feedback when I get the car onto a track I'm more familiar with such as Thunderhill, Laguna Seca, or Infineon.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redtopz
Nice lap time .

Well you were right, that track really is a series of dragstrips separated by tight corners. The oval is pretty fun and it's the fastest I've ever been on a track. The cones throughout the track make it a little different, almost like a big auto-x course. People hit them and then you need to modify your line to adapt. Keeps things interesting. I guess overall it's a pretty safe track. If you completely lose brakes coming down the oval into turn 3 you have about a 1/2 mile of runoff . Here's the vid from my race. I was pretty disappointed with my mental errors and I basically lost the race by a series of screw-ups. I think it was my first spin in maybe 2 years? But I accomplished what I set out to do: get my car's annual tech, get my first scca race and see how the events are run, and meet some of the other T1 racers. I had a great time and look forward to more races with you guys.

http://www.vimeo.com/19112542

Bill.
Bill

Last 2 times at ACS I have hit cones Last week I broke my passenger side front inner wheel well including the little aero piece that sticks out on the C6z06 front fender. It won't be fixed in time for BW next week .... so that will be my excuse for running 6-8 seconds slower than everybody else.

See you there and thanks for posting video

DH
Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Last week I broke ... the little aero piece that sticks out on the C6z06 front fender. It won't be fixed in time for BW next week .... so that will be my excuse for running 6-8 seconds slower than everybody else.
Careful now. If that's the case it makes a good argument that points should be assessed for having it on the car.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dbratten
Careful now. If that's the case it makes a good argument that points should be assessed for having it on the car.
Its the stock part, Dan But maybe you want to petition that I should get points added for weight reduction.

Anyways just a warning .... watch for flying cones if you are behind me

DH
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Its the stock part, Dan But maybe you want to petition that I should get points added for weight reduction.

Anyways just a warning .... watch for flying cones if you are behind me

DH
That's why I run in Red -- to not be lapping you.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Bill, thanks for the video. You did have an out of the ordinary session.

Having never been to ACS but in watching it seemed to me that you want to avoid the curbs as they really upset the car whenever you hit them to the point of almost jerking the wheel from your hands. It almost hurt to watch.

I look forward to seeing you Saturday.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing the video, Bill! I'd love to hear your story about how you got your car ready for SCCA... See you at BW saturday!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill thanks for posting the video, what was the finishing order, and were Oli Steve and Ryan in your race?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Threshold
Bill thanks for posting the video, what was the finishing order, and were Oli Steve and Ryan in your race?
steve and i missed it.. oli was not in his own car i believe..

i'm just commenting now... cause im still throwing a tantrum i couldnt be there.

everyone did a great job!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbratten
Bill, thanks for the video. You did have an out of the ordinary session.

Having never been to ACS but in watching it seemed to me that you want to avoid the curbs as they really upset the car whenever you hit them to the point of almost jerking the wheel from your hands. It almost hurt to watch.

I look forward to seeing you Saturday.
Dan, I think I had my shocks set way too stiff which was part of the problem. I don't even know if the adjuster ***** change compression or rebound at this point. On the street my car felt more harsh with these penske shocks than they did with my lg coilovers. But yes, I will probably try to avoid some curbs next time, but not all of them. See you guys Saturday.

Ryan, I sent you another email about the wilwood brakes when you get a chance. Sorry you couldn't make it, I was hoping to see you, Steve, and Carl down there .
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Steve popped in Sunday to hang out, it's too bad you didn't get to stay and meet him
Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
Ryan, I sent you another email about the wilwood brakes when you get a chance.
Yes.. got it... so swamped lately i havent even looked.. i'll get back to you today.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Great fun to watch!

Quick Reply: So Cal crew: Racing at CA Speedway this weekend