Southern California Southern California

NEW - CHP Radar Tatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEW - CHP Radar Tatic

I had never seen this before today - on the 91 FWY a CHP Officer standing on an over pass looking down on coming traffic with a RADAR GUN and Radio - on the other side of the underpass were 2 CHP motors going after offenders!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like they are trying to crack down on speeders and will do anything they can to catch someone off guard. The cops try to tell us it isn't about money but to me this extra enforcement coincides with CA's deficit, thus it is about money.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw it on the 210 the other day by the 605.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems kinda inefficient. A black and white has it's own radar and they're plenty of places for them to hide and use it.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PONI ETR
Seems kinda inefficient. A black and white has it's own radar and they're plenty of places for them to hide and use it.
I think the point is to catch them before they notice a car pulled over. They can get multiple cars in a row this way
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

"Multiple cars in a row"? Not sure what you mean. A cruiser can only pull over one at a time.
If you mean that cars slow down when they see another pulled over and then slow down, yes.
So one cruiser works the northbound traffic and one works the southbound.
I still think the 3rd guy is a waste.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mcc978
Sounds like they are trying to crack down on speeders and will do anything they can to catch someone off guard. The cops try to tell us it isn't about money but to me this extra enforcement coincides with CA's deficit, thus it is about money.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga

Originally Posted by SicMSP
I think the point is to catch them before they notice a car pulled over. They can get multiple cars in a row this way
GA does this alot. One has the gun and the others( I have seen up to 5 at a time) get told what kind of car it is and the speed and they(one car) go after them. Then they go back and wait their turn in line for the next one!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Triton4C
Racer

"Multiple cars in a row"? Not sure what you mean. A cruiser can only pull over one at a time.
If you mean that cars slow down when they see another pulled over and then slow down, yes.
Depends on how they have it set up...if they can they will just point to the car and tell them to point over. I know out in Texas they do that stuff but it's on smaller highways with overpasses rather than freeways.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I've seen it and they use a laser gun but, did not know about the two CHP standing by.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive been pulled over along with a buddy at the same time by the same chp

He got in between us and intercomed my buddy infront to pull over and then asked me to do the same.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
John-F
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcc978

Heard on the news that states and cities across the country are stepping up enforcement. No more allowance up to 5 mph above speed limit. All about money.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Well, pretty much all of you are wrong so here is the straight scoop:

CHP does not receive any money from the tickets you write. Well, its about 10 cents per cite to cover the cost of the paper. All money from chp tickets goes to the city/county where the cite was written.

What the officer was using on the overpass was LIDAR, not radar. Lidar is very accurate and can pinpoint any car, sorry no defense that the radar locked on another car when using LIDAR.

CHP can and does stop more than one car at a time, usually no more than two but it depends on the amount of traffic on the highway.

The local agencies do get money from their tickets but not the chp. CHP writes millions of tickets every year and well over 1 million a year just for speeding. Their purpose is primarily highway safety and reducing the mileage death rate.

I think it was last year chp issued 75,000 cites for cell phone use so you can see they write them when they see them. As you can imagine, everyone suddenly becomes the best and most courteous driver out there when a black and white is in the area. The use of the all white cars are primarily for commercial truck enforcement but can be used for any purpose.

Hope this clears up any misconceptions. Enforcement is always up and more visible when the summer months are hear and more drivers are out on the road. CHP received money only from the registration fees that you pay. I forget the exact amount but i think its around $32 per vehicle.

CHP Commander, Retired
30 years
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
stano
Safety Car

On my way to San Diego this morning there was a motorcycle cop on the side of the road shooting people with his radar but I didn't see anyone pulled over nor did I see any patrol cars waiting.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

forgive my typo. the tickets they, the chp write, not "you" in the above post. LOL......
Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bearphoto

CHP does not receive any money from the tickets you write. Well, its about 10 cents per cite to cover the cost of the paper. All money from chp tickets goes to the city/county where the cite was written.

What the officer was using on the overpass was LIDAR, not radar. Lidar is very accurate and can pinpoint any car, sorry no defense that the radar locked on another car when using LIDAR.

CHP can and does stop more than one car at a time, usually no more than two but it depends on the amount of traffic on the highway.

The local agencies do get money from their tickets but not the chp. CHP writes millions of tickets every year and well over 1 million a year just for speeding. Their purpose is primarily highway safety and reducing the mileage death rate.

I think it was last year chp issued 75,000 cites for cell phone use so you can see they write them when they see them. As you can imagine, everyone suddenly becomes the best and most courteous driver out there when a black and white is in the area. The use of the all white cars are primarily for commercial truck enforcement but can be used for any purpose.

Hope this clears up any misconceptions. Enforcement is always up and more visible when the summer months are hear and more drivers are out on the road. CHP received money only from the registration fees that you pay. I forget the exact amount but i think its around $32 per vehicle.

CHP Commander, Retired
30 years
Very good information, Thank you
Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
John-F
Drifting

Originally Posted by bearphoto

CHP does not receive any money from the tickets you write. ...

CHP Commander, Retired
30 years
Good info, but re-reading the thread, I didn't see anyone suggest the money was going to the CHP.

Also, maybe not today, but within the past 3 years I think some CHP motorcycle officers were using the Stalker II, which is radar not LIDAR.

Last edited by John-F; 04-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NEW - CHP Radar Tatic

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

The inference is that law enforcement is writing more tickets due to shortfalls of revenue and that may be a true statement, just not applicable to CHP. Setting the facts straight.

As for the stalker II, yes they were in use recently and some may use it still as LIDAR is new. The older units are replaced when their in service time is up.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
I had never seen this before today - on the 91 FWY a CHP Officer standing on an over pass looking down on coming traffic with a RADAR GUN and Radio - on the other side of the underpass were 2 CHP motors going after offenders!
Helicopter must have been broken...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Originally Posted by John-F
Good info, but re-reading the thread, I didn't see anyone suggest the money was going to the CHP.
Right!

I would think some, if not all, of the money would go to the state.

Quick Reply: NEW - CHP Radar Tatic