Southern California Southern California

2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I turned Comp off..I was driving on ice every time I would come in to the sweet spot in the powerband. Even in fourth unless i was completely straight.....Self diagnostics showed me that full stiff on the rear sway is not the way to go on that track, also I need TIRES badly...these things are cycled out, well they were already but I tried. Still only bested a 2:10

So for now COMP stays on and I deal with over driving it and having to deal with it doing things when I don't want them too, just so it will save my *** when I need it too...

After I got home I realized, I've had dirt bikes come home cleaner......
Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Originally Posted by CBennett730_Z06
No video but I had a great time.

Not sure where I'll find the 5" to catch Kevin in the stock class. I ended up finding consistent low 2.07's by the last session.

Green group wasn't as fun for me since I was stuck back with the slower guys. I was getting dive bombed on every apex. I didn't have a problem seeing them coming but I would stay wide so we wouldn't hit, which would ruin every lap....and of course as soon as we roll out on the straight I'm off the gas so I don't rear end them. I'm wondering if you guys just turn in on them and let the passing car be responsible for not hitting you or are you just fast enough it's not an issue?????

I started running everything off in Chuckwalla but I turned Comp Mode on for the 1st session at Buttonwillow since it was my first time running open passing and I didn't want to really screw up. I hated the way the car felt and I think it did more damage than good. I went back to everything off and I loved the way it felt after that.....although I did spin and go off once when I got a little too aggressive in the middle of the day. Something about the middle of the day that my mind wanders and I lose the line (happened at Chuckwalla too).

Green had to many racer's in it....
Old 04-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Threshold
Sweet a Jim Rockford type turn

I'd keep my car in Comp Mode until I bought a dedicated track car
Didn't see you poking your nose in Marc

Anyways, after viewing my videos both spins were induced by improper apex (driver fault). But in my defense I want to point out the superb handling of both spins maintaining the car on track both times. Once headed in the correct direction and the other ............ well not quite as much

DH
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
TimFitz
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Shame here, Stephanie helps me enlarge my man parts!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
TimFitz
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, so here it is on the line!!! I think we should all, "at a boy" Howard, one, for trying something new and two for owning up to the learning curve so well. Howard can certainly dish it out, but he can take it too! A very wise man once said to me: "You should never laugh at anyone unless you can laugh at yourself". Well Howard has earned the right to laugh!! As laughter is life's greatest gift, you have my respect as a driver and I see faster laps in your future as you settle into your own computer free DH slip angle!! Don't go back......Fitz
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice smooth driving Tim!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TimFitz
OK, so here it is on the line!!! I think we should all, "at a boy" Howard, one, for trying something new and two for owning up to the learning curve so well. Howard can certainly dish it out, but he can take it too! A very wise man once said to me: "You should never laugh at anyone unless you can laugh at yourself". Well Howard has earned the right to laugh!! As laughter is life's greatest gift, you have my respect as a driver and I see faster laps in your future as you settle into your own computer free DH slip angle!! Don't go back......Fitz
Although I appreciate the sentiment (and egging on) I'm not convinced from my first attempt that Comp Mode is slower. I may need to keep it on to compensate for my failing old eye sight since that's why I miss apex's. But I will try it out again at SOW. If I can actually turn a faster time without making my self dizzy from spinning out I may keep the nannies off.

Nice PB by the way

DH
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Although I appreciate the sentiment (and egging on) I'm not convinced from my first attempt that Comp Mode is slower. I may need to keep it on to compensate for my failing old eye sight since that's why I miss apex's. But I will try it out again at SOW. If I can actually turn a faster time without making my self dizzy from spinning out I may keep the nannies off.

Nice PB by the way

DH

I have the whole Comp Mode/Regular Mode feature turned of on my C5 Z06 race car. I can't turn it on even if it is raining.

Trust me, the car is slower with either system on. The computer does not let you drive at the slip angles you need to turn maximum lap times. With either system on if you try and brake into a corner and start rotating the car it will straighten you out. When you hit the apex and start feeding in power and trying to run at that zen like 6-8% slip angle the system will start clamping down on the vairous brakes to get the car complete hooked-up and stable again even though that is not the fastest way to drive.

These computer systems in the cars are based upon street/consumer driving requirements. It is not a $40,000 Motec race system designed for race driving. Therefore it is all upon you to be the race traction control system. I think it is more fun that way. Getting it just right in a corner from braking point, to turn-in, to apex and tracking out at the limits without overdriving the tires is nirvana. It is very hard to do just right everytime and that is why it is heaven that we get to take so many laps working to perfect it.

That is driving. The other way is a glorified computer user with steering wheel and throttle user interfaces vs. the keyboard and mouse. When I want to use the computer I log into Corvette Forum. When I want to drive I get in my race car.

Last edited by Olitho; 04-21-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LA STIG
I think the dialogue about the computer effect is really interesting. DH was already plenty fast in Comp mode but spins when he goes "jungle style". Most of us seem to dislike Comp mode (after a while) but I can say that tire for tire DH still turned better times than me when he was in Comp mode. So what I'm cogitating on is what was Comp mode doing for him that he can't do for himself....yet? I KNOW he'll be faster once he masters "jungle" mode but, in the meanwhile, this is an interesting issue to consider.

I agree, this is an interesting discussion on the computer controls. When I went through the Ron Fellows school a year ago every instructor had their opinion on the effect of the computer controls. This mode is fastest, that mode is fastest, but when they got in the cars to scare the crap out of us new students they turned everything off.

I did notice a difference driving a 2013 Z06 vs my 2006 Z06. It could be my imagination, but it seems like my 2006 let's me make bigger mistakes before the computer comes in and saves me. I guess it's not unreasonable that the computer controls could have evolved from 2006-2013.

One instructor said that if I do everything right, the computer should not intervene. Perhaps there were some implied caveats to that statement - inexperienced driver, street tires, etc. I drive with everything ON and I have noticed on my fastest laps the computer never gets involved. I ran a personal best on Saturday of 2:03:868 on PS2s.

First video is rendering...
Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great times everyones.

Howie, keep it up with the nannies off. You'll get faster by leaps and bounds each track day. It's amazing what a nights sleep between track days makes.

Oli, I assumed you always ran with the nannies on. I couldn't figure out any other excuse for your lack of speed.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimtway
Oli, I assumed you always ran with the nannies on. I couldn't figure out any other excuse for your lack of speed.

Ha! I was just waiting for you. I figured you are fumbling around in the car figuring out how to turn off nanny mode. I can't believe it takes you the whole race to do that.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Olitho
I have the whole Comp Mode/Regular Mode feature turned of on my C5 Z06 race car. I can't turn it on even if it is raining.

Trust me, the car is slower with either system on. The computer does not let you drive at the slip angles you need to turn maximum lap times. With either system on if you try and brake into a corner and start rotating the car it will straighten you out. When you hit the apex and start feeding in power and trying to run at that zen like 6-8% slip angle the system will start clamping down on the vairous brakes to get the car complete hooked-up and stable again even though that is not the fastest way to drive.

These computer systems in the cars are based upon street/consumer driving requirements. It is not a $40,000 Motec race system designed for race driving. Therefore it is all upon you to be the race traction control system. I think it is more fun that way. Getting it just right in a corner from braking point, to turn-in, to apex and tracking out at the limits without overdriving the tires is nirvana. It is very hard to do just right everytime and that is why it is heaven that we get to take so many laps working to perfect it.

That is driving. The other way is a glorified computer user with steering wheel and throttle user interfaces vs. the keyboard and mouse. When I want to use the computer I log into Corvette Forum. When I want to drive I get in my race car.
I wouldn't want you arguing teeth with me so I'm not going to argue slip angles and Nirvana with you.

I will test with all off and in comp mode and compare times at SOW next week. I will make my decision after that and let you view video/logging data.

DH
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
I agree, this is an interesting discussion on the computer controls. When I went through the Ron Fellows school a year ago every instructor had their opinion on the effect of the computer controls. This mode is fastest, that mode is fastest, but when they got in the cars to scare the crap out of us new students they turned everything off.

I did notice a difference driving a 2013 Z06 vs my 2006 Z06. It could be my imagination, but it seems like my 2006 let's me make bigger mistakes before the computer comes in and saves me. I guess it's not unreasonable that the computer controls could have evolved from 2006-2013.

One instructor said that if I do everything right, the computer should not intervene. Perhaps there were some implied caveats to that statement - inexperienced driver, street tires, etc. I drive with everything ON and I have noticed on my fastest laps the computer never gets involved. I ran a personal best on Saturday of 2:03:868 on PS2s.

First video is rendering...
There are plenty of experienced drivers that say if your smooth the nannies will not kick in. Must be working for you ……..

DH
Old 04-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimtway
Great times everyones.

Howie, keep it up with the nannies off. You'll get faster by leaps and bounds each track day. It's amazing what a nights sleep between track days makes.

Jim

The only time I ever feel AH kicking in is the Roval at ACS when I'm doing 130mph. I never feel like the car is going anywhere I'm not intending it to go or that I'm being slowed down.

DH
Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another super fun day at the track! Congrats to Fitz on a great new PB and awesome video of you and Steph!

It was my first day with my new AiM Solo DL. That thing is sure nice. I've been playing around a lot with the data. At some point I'll have to figure out how to do the overlay so I can post some video.

I ended up with a new PB of 2:03.1 which is over 2 seconds faster than my previous PB. Very happy with that time but the data is telling me I should have been in the low 2's so I already can't wait to go back!

As far as nannies go, my car is not drivable with them on in any mode. I would think that the year of the car has something to do with it as Nick said (mine is a stock base '05). Or then again, maybe it's the driver

Thanks to all who make the CC possible!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Another super fun day at the track! Congrats to Fitz on a great new PB and awesome video of you and Steph!

It was my first day with my new AiM Solo DL. That thing is sure nice. I've been playing around a lot with the data. At some point I'll have to figure out how to do the overlay so I can post some video.

I ended up with a new PB of 2:03.1 which is over 2 seconds faster than my previous PB. Very happy with that time but the data is telling me I should have been in the low 2's so I already can't wait to go back!

As far as nannies go, my car is not drivable with them on in any mode. I would think that the year of the car has something to do with it as Nick said (mine is a stock base '05). Or then again, maybe it's the driver

Thanks to all who make the CC possible!
Great time Kevin. Thats a second faster than my PB there. I don't know what happened to my Aim data. I can't seem to find the data that matches the video except for the first little bit that I already posted. I'm not sure if its the spin outs and restarts with black flags or what. I will just post my video without data if I can't figure it out soon ……..

DH
Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Nice smooth driving Tim!
LMAO, funny avatar

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:34 AM
hellrazr
Pro

Originally Posted by Olitho

Yeah, I agree with this; turn that stuff completely off. I've heard many guys argue that the car should be driven smooth so that the electronic safeties don't kick in, but often the vette is driven fastest by creating straight lines through corners (where lesser powered cars will go with wider arcs) and this is where ya need rotation. Or slip angles.

The C6 Z06 is not as invasive as the C5 Z06, but it still limits the driver. The MP4-12C, however, I don't know WTF that thing is doing, but it is effective in making the driver faster..yet still I don't like it!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my GREEN 1 video from Saturday. This video contains my second fastest lap of the day and is the only footage from Saturday where Bill doesn't just walk away from me like I'm standing still - congrats on a blistering new personal best, btw.

I was really excited to try out my new data collection system. And then really disappointed to see what data it actually gave me.

The main video is a GoPro on my helmet. The PIP video is from Harry's Lap Timer (HLT) on my phone (Moto X). The main piece of data I wanted - oil temperature - came in at all zeros. Everything else from HLT was all over the place, despite using the recommended bluetooth OBDII and external GPS. Very frustrating. Even the coolant temperature jumps around too much. I ended up using the data from my GTECH/Pro RR for the Speed, track map, and G-Force.

Anyone out there have experience with HLT on Android and willing to give me some pointers? Or does anyone have a better way to collect engine data? Thanks!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
There are plenty of experienced drivers that say if your smooth the nannies will not kick in. Must be working for you ……..

DH
That is true that they won't kick in, but that does not mean you are driving the fastest the car will go.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!