Southern California Southern California

2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a great discussion for two reasons. One, to get DH to come to the light, which I know will only make him faster but since I'm an egalitarian I'm okay with that. Second, because there are so many opinions with much insight and relevant controversy. Let me add to it.

When I first tracked my LS2 I cracked 8 rotors, front and rear, before I turned off all computers. I never cracked one afterwards. (By the way this was when I was still using drilled rotors so that was part of the problem.) I did about thirty track days on that car before I traded it in on the Z06. I assumed that the Z would be basically the same car but with more power, grip, and brakes. I also assumed the computers would be the same. I was wrong. The Z computer had completely different parameters and I didn't turn them off completely until my fifth or sixth track day - so about three months.

I am now completely unable to run with any computers on. Every once in a while I forget and, for example, on Big Willow it will interfere in every turn. There goes five seconds.

I also disagree with the "drive smooth and the computer won't interfere" theory. The exit of Turn 2 at Big Willow is just push push push until you turn the computer off. Then you get to drive the car and if you push it's for a good reason, not artificial.

The whole thing boils down to digital versus analog and I'm fighting for the latter. I love what I have to do to drive the car with the computers off. I feel more connected to the car and I enjoy the incremental process of finding the limit over and over and over, as the track and my tires change during the day.

I will say one very positive and important thing about the computers. I've had several beginners drive my car on the track who were worried about "spinning out", including my youngest daughter, and the system does a very good job of preventing that from happening.

So there.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Didn't see you poking your nose in Marc

Anyways, after viewing my videos both spins were induced by improper apex (driver fault). But in my defense I want to point out the superb handling of both spins maintaining the car on track both times. Once headed in the correct direction and the other ............ well not quite as much

DH
Well I see it like this, although it is a contest and obviously you want to win, at what risk? I wouldn't be as worried about my driving abilities as I would be of the following: debris on the track in the form of dirt, transmission fluid, Motor oil and Antifreeze or car parts. I don't want any help going off the track. It's safe to say that you're better off when encounter on track debris in comp mode. If I had a dedicated track car I could look at this differently. Oli's slip angle 101 class would have another student
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even as DD after my H1 offroading adventure at BW I have over come the I'm scared of the dirt complex, I will be joining Oli's HPDE...

I still can't figure out why everytime I went comp off I was drifting thru bus stop, the car just wouldn't hook...

I think all of us on should go nannies off for the next event....even DH...what do you guy's say?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LA STIG
This is a great discussion for two reasons. One, to get DH to come to the light, which I know will only make him faster but since I'm an egalitarian I'm okay with that. Second, because there are so many opinions with much insight and relevant controversy. Let me add to it.

When I first tracked my LS2 I cracked 8 rotors, front and rear, before I turned off all computers. I never cracked one afterwards. (By the way this was when I was still using drilled rotors so that was part of the problem.) I did about thirty track days on that car before I traded it in on the Z06. I assumed that the Z would be basically the same car but with more power, grip, and brakes. I also assumed the computers would be the same. I was wrong. The Z computer had completely different parameters and I didn't turn them off completely until my fifth or sixth track day - so about three months.

I am now completely unable to run with any computers on. Every once in a while I forget and, for example, on Big Willow it will interfere in every turn. There goes five seconds.

I also disagree with the "drive smooth and the computer won't interfere" theory. The exit of Turn 2 at Big Willow is just push push push until you turn the computer off. Then you get to drive the car and if you push it's for a good reason, not artificial.

The whole thing boils down to digital versus analog and I'm fighting for the latter. I love what I have to do to drive the car with the computers off. I feel more connected to the car and I enjoy the incremental process of finding the limit over and over and over, as the track and my tires change during the day.

I will say one very positive and important thing about the computers. I've had several beginners drive my car on the track who were worried about "spinning out", including my youngest daughter, and the system does a very good job of preventing that from happening.

So there.
I seem to go as fast as I dare in turn 2. Maybe I should try and go faster to see if AH interferes. But so far it does not.

DH
Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Threshold
Well I see it like this, although it is a contest and obviously you want to win, at what risk? I wouldn't be as worried about my driving abilities as I would be of the following: debris on the track in the form of dirt, transmission fluid, Motor oil and Antifreeze or car parts. I don't want any help going off the track. It's safe to say that you're better off when encounter on track debris in comp mode. If I had a dedicated track car I could look at this differently. Oli's slip angle 101 class would have another student
There is that too …….

DH
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NTNFGRP
Even as DD after my H1 offroading adventure at BW I have over come the I'm scared of the dirt complex, I will be joining Oli's HPDE...

I still can't figure out why everytime I went comp off I was drifting thru bus stop, the car just wouldn't hook...

I think all of us on should go nannies off for the next event....even DH...what do you guy's say?

Well at least I was able to keep in on the track. Inside of my car wan't even dusty

DH
Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
LA STIG
Racer

If I might be allowed to respectfully disagree.

The primary purpose is not the "contest" but improving and mastering your driving skill. Track conditions, which include dirt, fluids, and other foreign items, are not a "worry" but part of the challenge as are track, tire, brake, and engine temperatures, and driver focus and conditioning. Computers interfere with the organic integration of tools available to solve the problems that can occur while driving, whether it's a pristine track or not. Luckily driving on the track we can identify and isolate our challenges and, with experience, be prepared for the unexpected. I am better equipped for these possibilities if I am driving the car.

Lastly, as far as risk, my neck is fused because of someone rear-ending me on the freeway, not because of the thousands of laps I've done in my car, much less the thousands I've done on a motorcycle before that.

At the end of the day track driving can be a meaningful, masterful experience, but most importantly it should be fun. Being able to combine those three elements in a single activity is a treat for sure.

My computers will stay off. Whatever is on the track is just another challenge. As long as nobody's shooting at me I'll have a good time.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Originally Posted by NTNFGRP

I'm for it!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Well at least I was able to keep in on the track. Inside of my car wan't even dusty

DH
I give you a lot of credit, Howie, for having an open mind about this. And I seriously expect you to be faster once you reset your technique to adjust to no computer.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:50 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

DH
I only had to wipe the dash....since I came from dirt I learned along time ago....don't let off!! When you stop that's when most of the dirt get's in, there for I always stay in it a little bit if I can and return to tarmac asap. So for the love of god if anyone has video of my craziness please post it...
Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Of course you can disagree, I would agree with you if the car was a dedicated track car. The question is really with comp mode off how much time are you going to cut and is it worth the unnecessary risk? Ultimately that decision is the driver's.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Of course you can disagree, I would agree with you if the car was a dedicated track car. The question is really with comp mode off how much time are you going to cut and is it worth the unnecessary risk? Ultimately that decision is the driver's.
I think there is less risk with the nannies off once you learn to drive and control the car. Even as you're learning you can keep the risk manageable by driving within your own limits. I'm surprised to hear that Howie runs with nannies on because he's a very capable driver. I think he can see from the spins where the nannies were saving him before. Slow hands for driving, fast hands for saving. Once you spin a couple times you quickly learn to anticipate and prevent them from occurring again. That is driver improvement and one of the best things we can take away from driving on the track. The sooner you start, the sooner you will master car control with no nannies. It's like a safety blanket but once you take it off, you will never want or need it again IMO.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought, but I think we need a private lesson from Oli, JimTway and redtopz at the Streets. That always seems like a safe track to drive with the nannies off.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

My advice to new track drivers is to start with all the nannies OFF from day 1. This is good because you are relatively slow when you first start out and you start learning car control right away.

If you start out using nannies a lot of bad habits are formed unknowingly. Then when you turn them off you are in big trouble So for those of you that have been relying on the computers to do your driving for you it's time to suck it up and take a few steps backwards, slow down, and learn proper car control. Good thing is it is exponentially more fun then driving with the nannies on!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Just a thought, but I think we need a private lesson from Oli, JimTway and redtopz at the Streets. That always seems like a safe track to drive with the nannies off.
Driver instruction is just one of the services Tway Motorsports provides. If your interested contact me via PM or through our website!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Originally Posted by jimtway
Driver instruction is just one of the services Tway Motorsports provides. If your interested contact me via PM or through our website!
This would be great lets take 3 of our worse drivers, each one gets some lessons from each of our big 3 here. Of those 3 learned, which one improves the most.....

Sorry Jim, but I call dibs on Mr. Thordarson

Also to be noted one of my own customers is a retired Indy driver, and he does lots of teaching especially with carts....name is Phil Giebler Racing. He would also be a great local instructor to meet with.

Last edited by NTNFGRP; 04-22-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 AM
randomus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bill - Nick - Red Session 5 on Saturday

We had some fun in the 5th session, not too many cars. Unfortunately that didn't keep me from putting two wheels off on the first lap, its fun seeing Nick coming through the dust cloud though! Any pointers or critiques are welcome!

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Originally Posted by randomus
We had some fun in the 5th session, not too many cars. Unfortunately that didn't keep me from putting two wheels off on the first lap, its fun seeing Nick coming through the dust cloud though! Any pointers or critiques are welcome!

My video from the same session. Lap 0 - Dust Cloud, Days Of Thunder (Thanks Bill!). Lap 2 - my fast lap for the weekend and new personal best. Lap 3 - Corvette off-roading (just a little). Lap 4 - my closest call on track to date, which felt much closer in real time. I swear he pointed me by...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Nick,

Nice driving and really good times.

I like how polite you were with the GT3RS.

And, you are a track beast driving all the way from Vegas. If you don't mind driving, you need to make the trip up to Thunderhill. It makes BRP look like a kiddie ride.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
My video from the same session. Lap 0 - Dust Cloud, Days Of Thunder (Thanks Bill!). Lap 2 - my fast lap for the weekend and new personal best. Lap 3 - Corvette off-roading (just a little). Lap 4 - my closest call on track to date, which felt much closer in real time. I swear he pointed me by...
Nick

Great driving but for me the camera mount on your helmet is disconcerting.

DH

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!