Southern California Southern California

2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
Thanks for all the input from everyone regarding the computer driving aids. This past weekend at Spring Mountain I started weaning myself off of the computer. I felt very comfortable with the track, and it really cleared out as temps approached 100 degrees in the afternoon.

I ran in Comp mode and couldn't tell any difference. I turned everything off and couldn't tell any difference. As long as I stayed on the racing line, braked when I was supposed to, and feathered the throttle out of the corner like I'm supposed to I didn't feel any difference.

As I gained confidence I started to push the car a little more and I noticed that the bowl felt smoother with the Active Handling off and I could slide the rear end around to better position myself for low speed corners. That was a lot of fun.

Pushing the car I started going faster, so I began catching and passing people. As long as I got back to the racing line before the brake zone I was fine. BUT there was one time where I got a point by but he didn't lift. We entered the braking zone side-by-side and I was off line. I was going too fast for being off line, but I turned anyway. The front end gripped but the rear end slid around and I had my first ever spin. There were three other cars right behind me, but fortunately they were watching me and no one hit me.

I'm sure I've done the same maneuver dozens of times before and the computer always saved me. This time I learned that mistakes have consequences.

I continued the session and a few laps later, sure enough, I was in the exact same situation. This time learning from my mistake, I slowed the car much more before making the turn. I tracked way out to the point that he could have up-and-under passed me back, but since this is not the Pirelli World Challenge he stayed on my bumper till I lost him in the next high speed corner.

I ran the bonus session and pushed the car further. It felt great. I was running about 1.5 seconds off my fast lap in 20 degree warmer weather. Next event (WSIR, 6/28) I will start in Comp mode and hopefully have everything off by the end of the day.
Nick

Post up in the SMMR download thread

DH
Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra

As I gained confidence I started to push the car a little more and I noticed that the bowl felt smoother with the Active Handling off and I could slide the rear end around to better position myself for low speed corners. That was a lot of fun.
Isn't that a great feeling.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#4 DOWNLOAD !!!