Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:18 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Amen brother!

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
I have been biting my tongue since your first post in this thread.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with your message; more over it is in the way you deliver it.

You obviously have an ego that is only surpassed in size by your superiority complex, as demonstrated time and time again by your posts.

"Rubbed me the wrong way" because he was giving instructions?

"If you only knew who I was" clearly you are a legend in your own mind. Perhaps you have some professional racing experience? Congrats, there are lots of us that do.

Delivering this message after a guy totaled his Vette and got hurt is like going to the funeral of someone who died from lung cancer and telling the attendees that the deceased should never have smoked.

Pretty self-explanatory don't you think Captain Obvious?

I met these guys a couple of years ago and found them all to be warm and welcoming to newbies. Nobody needed to tell me to go to the back, I did so out of respect for the group. As I saw it, this was a group that had been running together for a while so I felt no need to insert myself into the middle of their cruise.

I have been on many of their cruises since, and thoroughly enjoyed every one. Every one drives at their own speed. It’s not a race, it’s a fun drive. You have been to one gathering without even experiencing a drive with the group and feel qualified to pass judgement?

Whether excessive speed was the cause or just a momentary distraction which took him off line, is only something DezVette knows for sure. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him at a Valley GTG in the future.

I could see someone stopping short in a long line of Vette waxers on their way to a car show, easily take out 5-10 in an accordian style accident more easily than I can these guys on one of their cruises.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 AM
4vettegenerations
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I'm not on here to get into one of these typical forum pissing matches with anyone. I felt strongly about something. Mostly because of things I've witnessed first hand. I decided to share my feelings. In hindsight, I felt this way several months ago when I first discovered the group. I probably should have said something then. But, most would have just jumped down my throat since nothing had happened yet and my message would have looked like it came out of left field. Similar to when Dale Earnhardt died. Nobody cared about safety until AFTER that tragic event made its point.

I tried to be VERY sensitive to the driver who got hurt in my original post. It was not an attack on anyone in anyway. I just wanted to get the point across that a race track would be a much better place to push the limits.

Unfortunately, messages in writing never come across with the sensitivity that exists behind the message, especially when that message isn't something you really want to hear. You're naturally going to look for the negative. I thought "rubbing me the wrong way" was much nicer than my first thought. And my point about not know who I was wasn't about me, it was about another typical forum poster making statements without knowledge of the person he was talking to.

Yes, after I was somewhat attacked by a couple of uninformed posters, my following two messages contained more sarcasm as a response to their messages.

No, I haven't been on one of the drives. I've been following the posts for this monthly event for quite some time. That combined with my conversations with several people that I did meet, made it quite clear that the driving on these trips, does exceed the legal limits. And that's exactly what my post was about. Nothing more.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention. To Dezvette, I truly hope you picked up in my first message, that I was truly sincere in my message to you. Over 25 years ago, I went over the edge on Topanga Canyon myself, spent a looooong time in recovery, so I completely feel your pain and do truly wish you the best in your recovery.

Unfortunately, it took that event in my life for me to learn my lesson. And yes, I moved my speed to the race track. I was fortunate to survive and have the opportunity to do the things I did. In my field, I'm known for promoting safety and that's all I was trying to do here. I wasn't trying to pour salt in the wound. Just like my personal lesson with my accident or Nascar's lesson with Dale Earnhardt's loss, I took advantage of this situation to point out the valuable lesson that can be learned from this event as well, in hopes that it may lead to safer events in the future.

Dale Earnhardt's loss of life was a terrible thing, but looking back, had it not happened, Nascar likely would have lost many more lives in the years to follow. Instead, there hasn't been a death at the top levels of Nascar since! His sacrifice has likely saved countless lives.

In this case, hopefully the same lesson can be learned from an event where the man is still alive to see what a difference he can make. As long as we learn and progress, then nothing is ever in vein.

I think most understood my message for what it was. For those that were offended, again, I apologize. I'm done going back and forth and this will be my last post on the subject. We're all adults and can do as we please. If my message made a difference to anyone or not, I felt the need to express my thoughts and felt that doing so was better than not saying anything at all.

And to Dezvette, from the bottom of my heart, I truly pray for your speedy recovery and am sorry for your loss and any suffering you're going through. I truly hope your unfortunate experience will lead to a better event for your group in the future.

God bless you all and be safe!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 AM
machwi55
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLW BY
I'm sure your lack of ability to drive is compensated by what you can write on a forum.
There is no leader, these guys have been meeting for over 7 years.
People come and go, we're glad you left and you can't drive.
So go away quietly and stop talking about stuff you know nothing about and is based, for what it's worth, on your opinion.
BYE-BYE
I'm here in support of our so called "leader". He's a stand up guy. In our group you drive at your own ability. No one is pushing you. There is always a wait for the stragglers at the major route changes.
4vettegeneration your point is taken. We get it. Let's move on.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:10 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been at valley gtg's for 8 years or so when it started at the Northridge mall. Almd athough I do agree about going to the track, you drive at your own discretion always!! Nobody tells you what to do, just where the meeting points will be. To even consider blaming the leader is just rediculous. The leader of the gatherings do it out of the goodness of their heart and take the initiative that others don't(including myself). It's unfortunate there was an accident, which didn't happen at the GTG. Again to blame the leader, for an accident that wasn't even at/with the GTG. All of you need to get of your high horses and chillax(chill and relax). Mommy and daddy have all taught us well and by now nobody needs a lecture. If you don't like something don't do it, don't go. No biggie! Glad no one was hurt.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:48 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I've been to the track and I've met these guys a few times. All cool guys and capable drivers. If you drive your corvette like a Grannie then you bought the wrong car. No one forces anyone to do anything or drive any certain way here. If you don't agree with the way a gtg goes then your welcomed to not go, not join the cruise and to keep your opinions to your self. Every corvette meet I've gone to no one points fingers or criticizes and that's how it should be. Like if people are gonna stop driving their car hard because someone here has morality crisis. Lol. Still looking forward to making one of the Valley gtgs.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1107
The leader of our group did nothing wrong.

As adults 4vettegenerations we all assume responsibility for our actions and each driver can maturely make the appropriate decision on speed limits of his ability.

I really appreciate dezvette for solely taking responsibility for what happened.

To sit here and Monday-morning quarterback our group is not appropriate.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with your message; more over it is in the way you deliver it.

You obviously have an ego that is only surpassed in size by your superiority complex, as demonstrated time and time again by your posts.

"If you only knew who I was" clearly you are a legend in your own mind. Perhaps you have some professional racing experience? Congrats, there are lots of us that do.

Delivering this message after a guy totaled his Vette and got hurt is like going to the funeral of someone who died from lung cancer and telling the attendees that the deceased should never have smoked.

I met these guys a couple of years ago and found them all to be warm and welcoming to newbies. Nobody needed to tell me to go to the back, I did so out of respect for the group. As I saw it, this was a group that had been running together for a while so I felt no need to insert myself into the middle of their cruise.

I have been on many of their cruises since, and thoroughly enjoyed every one. Every one drives at their own speed. It’s not a race, it’s a fun drive. You have been to one gathering without even experiencing a drive with the group and feel qualified to pass judgement?

Whether excessive speed was the cause or just a momentary distraction which took him off line, is only something DezVette knows for sure. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him at a Valley GTG in the future.

I could see someone stopping short in a long line of Vette waxers on their way to a car show, easily take out 5-10 in an accordian style accident more easily than I can these guys on one of their cruises.
Originally Posted by machwi55
I'm here in support of our so called "leader". He's a stand up guy. In our group you drive at your own ability. No one is pushing you. There is always a wait for the stragglers at the major route changes.
Originally Posted by spiral04
I've been at valley gtg's for 8 years or so when it started at the Northridge mall. Almd athough I do agree about going to the track, you drive at your own discretion always!! Nobody tells you what to do, just where the meeting points will be. To even consider blaming the leader is just rediculous. The leader of the gatherings do it out of the goodness of their heart and take the initiative that others don't(including myself). It's unfortunate there was an accident, which didn't happen at the GTG. Again to blame the leader, for an accident that wasn't even at/with the GTG. All of you need to get of your high horses and chillax(chill and relax). Mommy and daddy have all taught us well and by now nobody needs a lecture. If you don't like something don't do it, don't go. No biggie! Glad no one was hurt.
about sums it up for me...
Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW who's says we're exceeding the speed limit. This guy has never been, so he hasn't a clue.
How fast can you go on LT anyway, 45?
I think Mr. negative should come out from behind the shadow and tell us who he is and why he thinks he's all that.

I still believe this guy can't drive and he believes driving 5mph under the posted speed limit is too fast for him and it probably is.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
T2G2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by pauldana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1107 View Post
The leader of our group did nothing wrong.

As adults 4vettegenerations we all assume responsibility for our actions and each driver can maturely make the appropriate decision on speed limits of his ability.

I really appreciate dezvette for solely taking responsibility for what happened.

To sit here and Monday-morning quarterback our group is not appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookieracer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by machwi55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral04 View Post

As a former rider with the Valley guys, I totally agree with the responses to "Captain Obvious"..
If you don't like it don't go. Who the hell are you to tell others what to do?
You gave us your opinion once, thats enough, go back to the kiddie park.
Valley Guys, I miss the runs.
Keep on keeping on.!!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I met these guys a couple of months ago. All were very nice guys. They invited me on their ride. I stumbled across them by mistake, down the street from my house. Noticed a bunch of Vette's in a parking lot and stopped to see what was going on. I remember meeting DezVette and glad to hear he's ok. Sounds like a scary deal. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Quick Reply: Valley GTG May 10th, see you there!