Southern California Southern California

2014 Corvette Challenge Event#5 DOWNLOAD !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

We got to read Emilio's version of events. In all fairness we should hear out the words of the red and white Corvettes.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
No. It is not that. I know the driver of the Miata very very well. I drove on his race team at the 2012 Thunderhill 25 Hour Race. We campaigned four cars. One broke, one won, and I think the other two got third and fourth as I recall.

Before you call it V8 envy, he also has a C6 Z06. He is quite the driver, more so than you can imagine.
I know Emillio

DH
Old 05-20-2014, 11:24 AM
LA STIG
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes a guy gets lucky and breaks his motor which prevents him from going to a track day that sounds like it turned into a real mess. I watched the video and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Do you think it's time to ban caffeinated beverages at these events?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we get some pictures of the ZR1 and Z06 drivers involved? I think we need some public shaming.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
Can we get some pictures of the ZR1 and Z06 drivers involved? I think we need some public shaming.
I think you should be participating in the Corvette Challenge and then you would know all the drivers personally

DH
Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Here is the video I watched and the associated discussion on TrackHQ.com.

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f11/vi...t-yelled-7383/
LOL. He clearly has me mixed up with another driver, I'm in the "red vette" but didn't say a word to the guy when the session ended.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I think you should be participating in the Corvette Challenge and then you would know all the drivers personally

DH
Maybe when I can persuade my corvette to stop falling apart at the track I'll consider it.

For now it's an RX-8 for track days, and miatas and IMCA modifieds for racing.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6

Seriously...SV Red Group drivers are complaining about a Miata following too closely after a pass or being DISTRACTED by a car they just overtook.....I just read the naughty Miata driver's post at TrackHQ and watched his incar....while I usually lurk in these threads...I just can't believe what I'm reading here
I agree, I don't even see a problem. I thought the video might show this battle going on for a lap or so versus 1 corner where the cars were a little close together. You should not be in the red group if you feel uncomfortable in these conditions.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So back on topic. How was the new track configuration? Was the bowl fun?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

That is quite comical reading both the Corvette Forum and then the Miata forum. I wasn't there but this is good entertainment.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess they didn't like our gold chains we were wearing. The track configuration was great. The bowl was tough to figure out, positive camber up hill into a set of s's down shift to second. The track surface was great too. White ZR1 had the best time of any car there (what an amature).
Old 05-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Well I went and read the banter on the other site. They definitely don't think most if any of us belong in RED. They also don't seem to like gold chains and sandy vaginas !!!!

I have hung with both Emillio(miata) and Mark (white ZR1). Both are good guys and both can drive fast.

We have all had these little issues with other drivers on track. It should have been solved in a few minutes and not blown up like this.

DH
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mike.D
I guess they didn't like our gold chains we were wearing. The track configuration was great. The bowl was tough to figure out, positive camber up hill into a set of s's down shift to second. The track surface was great too. White ZR1 had the best time of any car there (what an amature).

While I have nor the time nor desire to get into a pissing match with our Miata friends or our fellow corvette drivers, I'll chime in VERY briefly, since I was there.

First off, I ran a few seconds behind the ZR1 and Z06, hitting a few 2:01 and 2:02 lap times in my C6. First time on that configuration...

Secondly, I did not personally encounter an issue with the miatas, other then the rocks they put on the track cutting corners, I was not in that pack...

I will say that Emilio announced at the opening drivers meeting that we should all be aware of the third session, since they would be "Dive bombing" us on the corners, since that was their qualifier. He went on to say "they would do whatever it took to get by some one in their way"

Aaron has made it CRYSTLE clear that "While the red group is race like conditions, it is not a race, hence it should not be driven as such."

At the first download, there were at least 4 separate corvette drivers that had multiple issue with two of the Miata drivers.

All the issues stemmed from the simple fact that while the red group IS made up of drivers who are very experienced, it is NOT A RACE, we are not required to have the safety equipment required at SCCA, T1 or NASA. For those wishing to participate in that level, more power to them!!

I personally drove my C6 500 miles roundtrip to the track, and put driving it home in one piece as my NUMBER one priority!

Our whole point stemmed from that, and it was next to impossible to convey it...

Carry on...
Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dapopa9
That is quite comical reading both the Corvette Forum and then the Miata forum. I wasn't there but this is good entertainment.
Clarification:
TrackHQ is not a Miata forum, although there are many there. It is about half hard core wheel to wheel racers and one quarter hard core track day enthusiasts and about one quarter on there way to something hard core. All of TrackHQ is near bankrupt due to this hobby.

All kinds of cars are represented there. Miatas are most common, Corvettes are probably #2 as they are just really V8 Miatas... or Miatas are four cylinder Corvettes however you look at it.

If you want a lot of good track banter it is a good place to hang out.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Oli

Hopefully you can agree with the following and convey this to our fellow addicts at HQ.

The following are non issues: throwing rocks on track, driving the track with 2 wheels off and riding someones bumber.

The ONLY real issue is the recognition that the RED GROUP is not a race or a race qualifier. Emillio's assertion otherwise puts him in the wrong. Period.

It is the RACE GUYS that need to dumb it down when they come out to an HPDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We all run into slower traffic or are actually the slower traffic. Make a safe pass or hot pit. Thats what we do at HPDE !!!!!!!!!!

PS: I like Emillio ..........

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 05-20-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

A few laps from session 3...

Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 PM
thekid96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't Emellio have a Z06, too? That would make things interesting...

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#5 DOWNLOAD !!!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thekid96
Doesn't Emellio have a Z06, too? That would make things interesting...

Yes, he does. And he loves that car.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:08 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Oli

The ONLY real issue is the recognition that the RED GROUP is not a race or a race qualifier. Emillio's assertion otherwise puts him in the wrong. Period.

DH
I don't think so. It is extremely hard to justify their actions while driving 600hp vs. 140hp. This seems to me to be an unfortunate situation where some guys think they are entitled to have Miatas jump out of their way when in fact the red group is simulated race conditions with open passing and they should just learn to pass. This really gives vette guys a bad name. Instead it appears they chose to express their entitlement in a public way unaware that the lowly Miata was driven by a "big fish." Now they have been publicly shamed and very silent. We all get caught up in the redmist at one time or another. We learn from it and move on.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I don't think so. It is extremely hard to justify their actions while driving 600hp vs. 140hp. This seems to me to be an unfortunate situation where some guys think they are entitled to have Miatas jump out of their way when in fact the red group is simulated race conditions with open passing and they should just learn to pass. This really gives vette guys a bad name. Instead it appears they chose to express their entitlement in a public way unaware that the lowly Miata was driven by a "big fish." Now they have been publicly shamed and very silent. We all get caught up in the redmist at one time or another. We learn from it and move on.
Well said.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#5 DOWNLOAD !!!