Southern California Southern California

2014 Corvette Challenge Event#5 DOWNLOAD !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
This brings up a point that also sounds like a gray area. Should a slower car "move out of the way" of a faster car? As a driver/racer of a faster car, I say NO! Please don't move out of my way. I hate that! Stay on your fastest line and I will pass you much much easier if you are predictable. Once people start thinking they need to get out of the way, I have no idea where they will go and it ruins both of our laps. It's in both parties interest for the slower car to stay on their racing line and keep going 100%. The faster car will get around. Once you get around a slower car, keep going 100% yourself so you don't hold them up in the next corner(s). Of course this is kind of pointless info on the vette forum since we all drive the faster cars. But sometimes I'll race with GT1, ST1, or SU cars with much more power than I have. I simply stay on my line and give them a little point if I think it will help. If the pass is going to be close I might breath off the gas a little to make it easier, but that's about it.

As far as the drama last weekend, it sounds like some of it was based on Emilio's comments in the morning which may have come off wrong or some vette drivers not understanding the nature of the Red group. If you are in the Red group then you are an advanced driver in a fast car. Some of you are on street tires, which might be slower than a miata on hoosiers in brake zones and corners. You may be turning similar lap times in some cases which is always kind of tricky since the 2 cars are fast in different areas. But if you pass a miata, stay on it and focus forward. You should continue to pull away. If you have a miata on your ***, you will need to lift to let it around when convenient. It's faster than you. Other than that, don't be intimidated by the racers and enjoy YOUR day. You paid for it and have every right to enjoy your day on the track.
True maybe MOVE was the wrong word, maybe what I meant is if your in a slower moving car....STAY out of the way would be a better way to say it. By all means don't pull off the line your running but maybe stay to what ever side of the track you are at and let the pass happen. I've seen too many times mostly on bikes were one slow guy either wants to prove he can keep up with the guy passing him, and then wads up and takes the guy lapping traffic out at the same time....which is why let up hold the line and stay out the way.

By the way both of the drivers mentioned are way faster then me....as all of you guy's know....I'm super slow motion when I drive...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This brings up a point that also sounds like a gray area. Should a slower car "move out of the way" of a faster car? As a driver/racer of a faster car, I say NO! Please don't move out of my way. I hate that! Stay on your fastest line and I will pass you much much easier if you are predictable. :
This is standard racing school 101...NEVER change your line to "get out of the way" for a faster car.

Like so many have already posted here, the overtaking driver has 100% responsibility for a safe pass. In my mind there is no gray area here.

With that said...coming out of the throttle or braking early to let a faster car by (the 149 hp S.M. race track Bullies come to mind) is the correct and safer way to yield to a faster car. Might also be a a good idea to learn what the blue flag with the red stripe means.

Last edited by ZedO6; 05-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZedO6
This is standard racing school 101...NEVER change your line to "get out of the way" for a faster car.
:

This is where some of the controversy came from last weekend, according to Mark, who was running 13 seconds faster on his best laps then the Miata guys, there was at least one Miata driver blocking him down the straights...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5

This is where some of the controversy came from last weekend, according to Mark, who was running 13 seconds faster on his best laps then the Miata guys, there was at least one Miata driver blocking him down the straights...
If my puttsy *** had a Miata straight up blocking I would get pissed too...but it didn't seem like Emilio actually was blocking. We should ban together and make miata's run in slower classes I guess...
Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Although it all seems pretty well sorted out now, I must say I would never run in a run group that combined HPDE drivers of ANY skill level with a qualifying session for a race class.

That is simply a disaster in the making. I have retired from competitive racing and HPDE and although I keep watching these videos with great interest I would never consider entering what I thought was an HPDE if there was a race group (no matter how "slow") running in the same group. That is the Organizers "Bad."

I don't think you should combine Group 4 and TT like NASA did for a number of years. An HPDE is a gentlemen's game run mostly at 9/10ths with cars you may want to drive home.

A race class is a competition run at 10 or 11/10ths from flag to flag with accomplished drivers attempting to avoid body contact where possible but accepting the probability that a little paint will be traded.

Completely different events.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by pkincy
Although it all seems pretty well sorted out now, I must say I would never run in a run group that combined HPDE drivers of ANY skill level with a qualifying session for a race class.

That is simply a disaster in the making. I have retired from competitive racing and HPDE and although I keep watching these videos with great interest I would never consider entering what I thought was an HPDE if there was a race group (no matter how "slow") running in the same group. That is the Organizers "Bad."

I don't think you should combine Group 4 and TT like NASA did for a number of years. An HPDE is a gentlemen's game run mostly at 9/10ths with cars you may want to drive home.

A race class is a competition run at 10 or 11/10ths from flag to flag with accomplished drivers attempting to avoid body contact where possible but accepting the probability that a little paint will be traded.

You REALLY did a GREAT job of summarizing the situation!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NTNFGRP
If my puttsy *** had a Miata straight up blocking I would get pissed too...but it didn't seem like Emilio actually was blocking. We should ban together and make miata's run in slower classes I guess...
Mark lapped him, so the video shown is selective...
Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

This brings up a point that also sounds like a gray area. Should a slower car "move out of the way" of a faster car? As a driver/racer of a faster car, I say NO! Please don't move out of my way. I hate that! Stay on your fastest line and I will pass you much much easier if you are predictable. Once people start thinking they need to get out of the way, I have no idea where they will go and it ruins both of our laps. It's in both parties interest for the slower car to stay on their racing line and keep going 100%. The faster car will get around. Once you get around a slower car, keep going 100% yourself so you don't hold them up in the next corner(s). Of course this is kind of pointless info on the vette forum since we all drive the faster cars. But sometimes I'll race with GT1, ST1, or SU cars with much more power than I have. I simply stay on my line and give them a little point if I think it will help. If the pass is going to be close I might breath off the gas a little to make it easier, but that's about it.

As far as the drama last weekend, it sounds like some of it was based on Emilio's comments in the morning which may have come off wrong or some vette drivers not understanding the nature of the Red group. If you are in the Red group then you are an advanced driver in a fast car. Some of you are on street tires, which might be slower than a miata on hoosiers in brake zones and corners. You may be turning similar lap times in some cases which is always kind of tricky since the 2 cars are fast in different areas. But if you pass a miata, stay on it and focus forward. You should continue to pull away. If you have a miata on your ***, you will need to lift to let it around when convenient. It's faster than you. Other than that, don't be intimidated by the racers and enjoy YOUR day. You paid for it and have every right to enjoy your day on the track.
Bill

I ran with NASA last weekend and they INSIST on the slow car staying on the race line

DH
Old 05-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pkincy

I just ran with NASA and likely will again very soon. They still run TT and HPDE4 (which I am in) together as far as I can tell !!!!

DH
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

So if any of you guys have never run with NASA before I can get $50 cash if I bring a new driver. I will give you the $50 to use towards your track day. I can only do this for one driver.

I am going to one of these two events

BW #1CCW June 7-8

WSIR June 12-13

PM me if interested

DH
Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So if any of you guys have never run with NASA before I can get $50 cash if I bring a new driver. I will give you the $50 to use towards your track day. I can only do this for one driver.

I am going to one of these two events

BW #1CCW June 7-8

WSIR June 12-13

PM me if interested

DH
Welcome to nasa!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Welcome to nasa!
I ran a couple of times before with them in 2011. They almost booted me out of an ACS event

Ryan was cool. I explained my experience and he put me in HPDE4 without having to jump through hoops

Are you going to be at either of these events?

DH
Old 05-23-2014, 03:55 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Mark lapped him, so the video shown is selective...
I see....
Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Corvette Challenge Results:
Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, May 18
Thank you all for coming out and running in the Corvette Challenge at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch.
We would like to thank our sponsors LG Motorsports, Finspeed, Cunningham MS, Excelsior, Canyon Run Videos, KNS Brakes, California Service Center, LSX Advanced Auto and Tway Motorsports for supporting the Challenge and providing awards for the top times in each class.
First place in your class wins $40 in Speed Ventures credits, $30 in Speed Ventures credits for second and $20 in Speed Ventures credits for placing third. Your credits will be added to your Speed Ventures account.

Event Winners
Stock
First Place Chris Bennett (2:05.530)
Second Place No entrant
Third Place No entrant

Modified
First Place Nick Rosenberry (2:03.064)
Second Place Joe Belden (2:04.845)
Third Place Chris Damen (2:05.275)

Super-Modified
First Place Tim Fitzgerald (1:58.009)
Second Place William Pierce (2:01.850)
Third Place Mike Cooper (2:04.637)

Ultimate
First Place Mark White (1:55.424)
Second Place Mike DeGregorio (1:56.063)
Third Place Joel Feingold (2:01.225)
Old 05-25-2014, 02:04 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike.D
Corvette Challenge Results:
Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, May 18
Thank you all for coming out and running in the Corvette Challenge at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch.
We would like to thank our sponsors LG Motorsports, Finspeed, Cunningham MS, Excelsior, Canyon Run Videos, KNS Brakes, California Service Center, LSX Advanced Auto and Tway Motorsports for supporting the Challenge and providing awards for the top times in each class.
First place in your class wins $40 in Speed Ventures credits, $30 in Speed Ventures credits for second and $20 in Speed Ventures credits for placing third. Your credits will be added to your Speed Ventures account.

Event Winners
Stock
First Place Chris Bennett (2:05.530)
Second Place No entrant
Third Place No entrant

Modified
First Place Nick Rosenberry (2:03.064)
Second Place Joe Belden (2:04.845)
Third Place Chris Damen (2:05.275)

Super-Modified
First Place Tim Fitzgerald (1:58.009)
Second Place William Pierce (2:01.850)
Third Place Mike Cooper (2:04.637)

Ultimate
First Place Mark White (1:55.424)
Second Place Mike DeGregorio (1:56.063)
Third Place Joel Feingold (2:01.225)
Great time Mike. Thanks for posting this up. I forgot to copy it from my email. Nice service that SV now emails the results to all drivers.

DH

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Challenge Event#5 DOWNLOAD !!!