Southern California Southern California

Performance Driving Courses

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 PM
harryk387
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Performance Driving Courses

Any in the Socal area, preferably in Los Angeles County, that are well reviewed? I really want to improve my driving skills, and would like to find a place that has an open course/track that goes through all the skills necessary to improve performance driving. Now that I've upgraded my C5Z to 450rwtq and 430rwtq, I feel it would be the responsible thing to do.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Go to this on Saturday and look up John Simon, Dave Weckl and Donny Yorke. They are great coaches.
http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=624

Driving courses like Spring Mountain are great, but if you really want to learn how to drive you need to go out more than just the two days you get from a school. Do both if you can, but if you only have one choice do track days with some good coaches.

I might come out that day... I have not decided, yet.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

2nd Spring Mountain, you will learn a lot and it is a great program.

I would listen to Olitho.

Last edited by SDLS1Rider; 04-28-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Is there support here for me to round up Weckl, Simon and a couple of others to do a Corvette performance driving clinic on this day?

I can talk to Aaron Bitterman at Speed Ventures to make it happen.

Let me know if anyone is interested, but we need to know in the next seven days or so....
Old 04-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Is there support here for me to round up Weckl, Simon and a couple of others to do a Corvette performance driving clinic on this day?

Let me know if anyone is interested, but we need to know in the next seven days or so....
Hey Oli, about 7 years ago you gave me some suspension specs for my 2006 z51. I have since added coilovers and sways, any chance you have specs or suggestions for me? Thanks sir!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 AM
harryk387
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd for sure be interested!

Old 04-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Richor
Hey Oli, about 7 years ago you gave me some suspension specs for my 2006 z51. I have since added coilovers and sways, any chance you have specs or suggestions for me? Thanks sir!
This is probably better done over the phone.

I have some starter statements and questions for you and others to consider.
  1. The addition of coil-overs won't necessarily be a catalyst for changing you r alignment.
  2. Even if you change whatever ride height you had before, your prior alignment is probably still good for you if it worked well before.
  3. The sway bars could be a cause for new camber settings. But those really only affect your car under heavy turning loads. Street cars are not under constant turning loads that a change of sway bar will make a camber change a consideration.
  4. What will affect your camber, toe, ride height, rake and caster is the type of driving you do.
  5. It is virtually impossible to compromise between a race set-up and a street setup. Even a car driven with spirit in canyons will eat up, especially the inside rubber of the front tires. The same to a lesser extent on the rear.
  6. A street alignment on the track will cord the outer third of the tires with race pace driving.
  7. The two alignments are incompatible.
  8. You can split the difference between the two in order to try and get better performance with spirited driving, but you have to be willing to replace tires prematurely as they were unevenly.

Just some quick thoughts for you to ponder....
Old 04-30-2017, 01:47 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by harryk387
I'd for sure be interested!

I talked to Aaron. He is suspecting this weekend is going to be sold-out. I am not sure this would be the best weekend given a sell-out, but this is a great learning track and it is the same day/weekend as the Corvette Challenge.

There are other Corvette Challenge dates like the one in June at Laguna Seca, but I am not sure new drivers for Orange and LA County are interested in making that drive.

Thoughts Mr. Simon, Mr. Weckl and Mr. Yorke?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I talked to Aaron. He is suspecting this weekend is going to be sold-out. I am not sure this would be the best weekend given a sell-out, but this is a great learning track and it is the same day/weekend as the Corvette Challenge.

There are other Corvette Challenge dates like the one in June at Laguna Seca, but I am not sure new drivers for Orange and LA County are interested in making that drive.

Thoughts Mr. Simon, Mr. Weckl and Mr. Yorke?
Oli! First off, thank you for thinking I know enough to coach someone anywhere else besides behind a drum kit!

I'm happy to offer any advise to anyone that I would qualify to offer said advise (which will include going to Oli's YouTube channel and watching his on track videos!).....

I don't get to go to a lot of these events these days tho, too much traveling unfortunately, so won't be going to Laguna Seca ... In echoing Oli, Streets is one of the best tracks to learn on IMO, due to it's relatively low speed and technical aspects.

I will say though, that I won't get in anyone's car as a passenger, so any 'coaching' would be verbal, or riding a long in my car, later in the day after timed laps are in. Always happy to hang out and talk about going faster around the track, as smooth and safe as possible!

Hope to see you out there Saturday Oli!

Dave W
Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Danlb
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Hooked on Driving

Have you heard about the Hooked on Driving event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana on May 12? While I am not attending several of my fellow PVCA members are taking their Corvettes out. HOD puts a coach in the car with you and members that have attended liked the experience. More info can be found on the HOD website at https://www.hookedondriving.com/even..._Roval_5-12-17 .
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is probably better done over the phone.

I have some starter statements and questions for you and others to consider.
  1. The addition of coil-overs won't necessarily be a catalyst for changing you r alignment.
  2. Even if you change whatever ride height you had before, your prior alignment is probably still good for you if it worked well before.
  3. The sway bars could be a cause for new camber settings. But those really only affect your car under heavy turning loads. Street cars are not under constant turning loads that a change of sway bar will make a camber change a consideration.
  4. What will affect your camber, toe, ride height, rake and caster is the type of driving you do.
  5. It is virtually impossible to compromise between a race set-up and a street setup. Even a car driven with spirit in canyons will eat up, especially the inside rubber of the front tires. The same to a lesser extent on the rear.
  6. A street alignment on the track will cord the outer third of the tires with race pace driving.
  7. The two alignments are incompatible.
  8. You can split the difference between the two in order to try and get better performance with spirited driving, but you have to be willing to replace tires prematurely as they were unevenly.

Just some quick thoughts for you to ponder....
You can run one alignment for both places, just don't expect a bag of money at the end of the race and you'll be fine.

You will need two sets of tires though.
My Michelin SS's netted me 18,000 miles.
My Hoosier A7's netted 11 months; 10 auto x events and 2 track days at SOW. ONE ALIGNMENT.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Driving Courses

Quick Reply: Performance Driving Courses