Southern California Southern California

Spec Corvette is born in SoCa - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Spec Corvette is born in SoCa - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

ANNOUNCEMENTS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Huntington Beach, CA, June 1, 2017 -- Today, Spec Corvette announces a new racing class for enthusiasts looking to go fast on a low-cost build that requires minimal maintenance. The class is born from a grassroots demand to improve the former SCCA T1 class dominated by Corvettes from 1999 to 2011. Recently in SCCA T1, several rule changes killed the once thriving class, causing cars, drivers, and enthusiasm to disperse elsewhere. NASA ST2 is popular, but the build requirements are getting more expensive and sophisticated. Spec Corvette is designed to fix these problems. Spec racing classes garner the highest entry participation of all classes, but are mostly comprised of slower, low-horsepower cars. Spec Corvette brings an outstanding chassis mated to a 400 horsepower engine that is economical to race and maintain for its category. LS engines, as used in Spec Corvette, are plentiful, powerful, lightweight and inexpensive when compared with other options.

The excellent chassis of the C5 Corvette is further improved upon due to Spec Corvette sponsor partnerships with aFe Power, Wilwood Racing Brakes, and Falken Tires. Special bundle packages and deeply discounted pricing have been negotiated with these manufacturers to give Spec Corvette racers the ability to build cars with top-performing parts for less than $20,000, including the purchase price of the vehicle. Suspension parts from aFe Control include single adjustable coil-over shocks, racing sway bars, spherical a-arm bearings, camber kit and tow hooks. Wilwood Racing Brakes has packaged a special six-piston front caliper and mounting kit mated to 355 mm two-piece rotors, pads and stainless-steel brake hoses. Falken Tire is providing its fast new 200 treadwear 615k+ performance tire as the spec tire for the series.

The $20,000 or less build cost of a Spec Corvette is based upon the C5 base coupe, FRC or Z06 platform. That build cost includes everything needed to start racing with a competitive car. Included in that budget, in addition to the items from series sponsors, are all safety requirements such as the roll cage, race seat, harness, fire system, race w....

Click here, http://speccorvette.com/announcements, for the rest of the announcement, rules and other details.

See you on grid....
The following 2 users liked this post by Olitho:
sallen619 (06-03-2017), skyavonee (07-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 04:12 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oli, I'm not seeing anything on either the website or FB page for 'driver requirements' .... what does one have to do to be able to enter, if they in fact get the car happening?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Olitho,
This looks like a lot of fun, I'm interested. Who would you recommend for cage fab and install?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Olitho,
This looks like a lot of fun, I'm interested. Who would you recommend for cage fab and install?
We are working on cage builders in other parts of the country. Currently there are three options:
1. Go to any builder you want anywhere. The cage spec is open as long as it meets SCCA or NASA specs. Those are widely accepted standards.
2. Go to Pierce Motorsports in Torrance. That is about an hour from Valencia. We negotiated a deal for $2,995 for a legal cage build. The requirement is that you bring the car with the interior stripped so he just has to weld in the cage. Buyer is responsible for painting it. If you don't want to paint it there are shops that will do that for $400 - $ 600.
3. For those in other parts of the country this cage is being pre-cut and pre-bent so that local installers or welding-skilled racers can install it themselves and minimal cost and equipment.

If you are at ACS next Saturday you can see the cage in John Nguyen's car.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
Oli, I'm not seeing anything on either the website or FB page for 'driver requirements' .... what does one have to do to be able to enter, if they in fact get the car happening?

We are accepting SCCA, NASA, POC and other race licenses right off the bat.

We recognize that those organizations only run race licensing schools once per year and in California for example those dates are in February and March so we missed them. Therefore we have a waiver program similar to SCCA for those who can present a resume that shows they can race responsibly. For others we are going to hold our own racer clinics from time-to-time, probably in conjunction with other race groups like SPM.

We are making this a new racer friendly program. Traditional racing courses like SCCA's were designed in the era before track days and they presumed the driver had never been on a race course before. Modern race licensing needs to review the drivers on track experience and focus more on the flagging, towing, emergency procedures and racing protocols that are new to track day enthusiasts. The focus needs to be less on two days of heavy lapping that is there because the presumption is the driver has never been on a race track before. That is just not the case today.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
We are accepting SCCA, NASA, POC and other race licenses right off the bat.

We recognize that those organizations only run race licensing schools once per year and in California for example those dates are in February and March so we missed them. Therefore we have a waiver program similar to SCCA for those who can present a resume that shows they can race responsibly. For others we are going to hold our own racer clinics from time-to-time, probably in conjunction with other race groups like SPM.

We are making this a new racer friendly program. Traditional racing courses like SCCA's were designed in the era before track days and they presumed the driver had never been on a race course before. Modern race licensing needs to review the drivers on track experience and focus more on the flagging, towing, emergency procedures and racing protocols that are new to track day enthusiasts. The focus needs to be less on two days of heavy lapping that is there because the presumption is the driver has never been on a race track before. That is just not the case today.
Thanks ... I'll call you to discuss details as to my path to get educated/licensed .... back in the country Friday....

Last edited by Evolution-ary; 06-04-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Olitho (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Good luck on your new endeavor Oli.

DH
Olitho (06-04-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:29 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Good luck on your new endeavor Oli.

DH
DH,

We could use your cheerleading and you in a very safe SpecVette. Several Implants and you are in there!
Olitho (06-08-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 12:57 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
DH,

We could use your cheerleading and you in a very safe SpecVette. Several Implants and you are in there!
I appreciate the sentiment but still have neck pain, whole in the pocket book and a wife/kids that just wouldn't understand going back out there.
But I am doing AutoX, heel-toe shifting every day and haven't forgot the flags ....... just incase

DH
Old 07-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

My personal Spec Corvette has the cage installed. It is now getting the paint treatment.

Rear cage view

Here is the Facebook page with a full set of unpainted photos.
Facebook Post
Old 07-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

There is now a backlog in SoCal for cage installs....

Click here for the Facebook link:
Facebook Post

Spec Corvettes are now on a waiting list for cage installs....<br/>
Old 10-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Spec Corvette is really taking off.

This post from the Autocross and Racing section is inspiring.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595858859
Old 10-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Here is Clinton Pichon's in-car video from that post:

Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Spec Corvette Conference Call hosted at Chuckwalla Corvette Challenge.

Conference bridge call-in information:
When – Saturday November 18th, 2017 at 12:00 Pacific Time
Call - 949 428-5008 and enter code 72237# (racer#)

Press here for speed dial - 949 428-5008, 72237#

This conference call was suggested by Carl Fung, one of our SCCA T1 racers, who reminded us how helpful and successful these calls were in organizing the T1 racer group back in 2010 and 2011. Spec Corvette is a very new group and there are a lot of questions being generated.

The intention of this call is two-fold:
1. Answer and clarify many questions surrounding this new race class
2. Begin the process of bringing together a tight community of regional racers from east coast to west coast

AGENDA
• General greetings and a few introductions
o John Nguyen founder of Spec Corvette
o Oli Thordarson Spec Corvette advisor
• The State of Spec Corvette and the Future
o A lot of new drivers and builds underway
o Many cars are completed
o West coast, mid-west and east coast growth
o The sanctioning bodies for 2018
o Race license procedure, waivers and racing school
o
• The race calendar for 2018
• Spec Corvette in SCCA T1/T2 and NASA ST2/3 (We have invited Mark Smith and Alan Garside of SCCA to join this call)
• Question and Answer

Please advise if you have questions you wish to pose for the agenda or additional agenda items.

Stay tuned for possible new information to get sent out via this appointment message.

John and Oli
Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

John / Oli --

Is the cart on speccorvette.com having some issues, or did you temporarily halt new registration requests? The cart item that I could have sworn was under registration is no longer there.

.... so I guess there's a potential third option which would be "senior moment" ....
Old 11-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by emf
John / Oli --

Is the cart on speccorvette.com having some issues, or did you temporarily halt new registration requests? The cart item that I could have sworn was under registration is no longer there.

.... so I guess there's a potential third option which would be "senior moment" ....
We temporarily disabled it for about a week. I will fill you in later. Top Secret.....
Old 11-24-2017, 05:06 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

We temporarily disabled it for about a week. I will fill you in later. Top Secret.....

That's not fair ... How am I supposed to get going on the car that I haven't told my wife about yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Corvette is born in SoCa - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable

Old 11-25-2017, 01:26 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by emf
That's not fair ... How am I supposed to get going on the car that I haven't told my wife about yet?
Ha ha!

Are you ready to order the part now? If so, I will have John reach out to you.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Are you ready to order the part now? If so, I will have John reach out to you.
Thanks Oli, I'm most concerned with knowing if there are any supplemental rules that I need to worry about before I start cheating ... the "unlisted mods" section is painted with a fairly broad brush, and I'd put "Accusump" solidly in the reliability bucket.

If you can ask him to reach out to get the ball rolling, that would be great. I may already be in trouble on the wife front, though ... I had to come up with a REALLY good excuse REALLY fast when the extra race seat showed up. I don't know how I'm going to swing a bigger trailer without her noticing.

Last edited by emf; 11-25-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling. Stay in shcool, kids.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by emf
I had to come up with a REALLY good excuse REALLY fast when the extra race seat showed up. I don't know how I'm going to swing a bigger trailer without her noticing.
You are artful. Everyone here is counting on you to figure out the perfect solution and then let us know so we can do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: Spec Corvette is born in SoCa - America's sports car racing, fun, fast and affordable