Ca-Vintage YOM plates

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Ca-Vintage YOM plates

Yrs ago bought some mint set of correct black/yellow plates for my 67 Camino years ago

Got the proper sticker from ebay, took it to AAA they said I couldnt use them yet as there was activity (an inquiry qualifies as such) on it

Had to go 3 yrs before I Could register them to the car

Guy I bought the plates from gave me a bill of sale to the car which I told him to keep. I hear the frame is in some junkyard so its active in the system so now I cant use my plates.

Not understanding if I technically own them or the car if the frame is in a junkyard why I cant use the plates. Doesnt the junkyard have to have a title, did I get taken or did the person at DMV now know what they are talking about. Really want to use these over the new legacy plates everyone and their brother has them, want the real deal on mine.

Last edited by cv67; 09-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my 71 RS Camaro and my 69 RS Camaro, I used YOM plates that I purchased to re-plate my car(s). This was several years ago, don't know if the requirements have changed.

Here is CA DMV's most recent YOM License Plate Application, 2017 form. You may want to deal with DMV directly for this request. The parameters/requirements are outlined in the middle of the form.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Old 09-18-2017, 06:38 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Order the "new" legacy plates. Pick them up..........misplace 'em and "accidentally put on the REAL ones. Problem solved. There is a difference, of course but would it ever come to light? Probably not ever. JMHO

Just re-read your post. Perhaps you can't get the letters/numbers that are on the REAL ones because they are frozen in the system? I would try to get them on the legacy plates just to see what would happen.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by See5see6
Order the "new" legacy plates. Pick them up..........misplace 'em and "accidentally put on the REAL ones. Problem solved. There is a difference, of course but would it ever come to light? Probably not ever. JMHO

Just re-read your post. Perhaps you can't get the letters/numbers that are on the REAL ones because they are frozen in the system? I would try to get them on the legacy plates just to see what would happen.
Worth a try.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 AM
ELEFUNTMAN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a bummer the plates you bought are still active, I would say someone is paying DMV for a non-op status. Contact DMV to find out if they will contact who has them active, maybe they think they still have them on their classic car sitting covered up somewhere and don't know they are gone.

If the frame is in a wrecking yard, I would think they would surrender the title to DMV.

You may just want to start over, make sure the plate you buy is out of the system.

Or just put them on, you may never get pulled over!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thanks all
Ill try dmv again soon

Far as getting pulled over the car is a cop magnet, has pizza cutters up front and is fairly loud. Most around here drive MB a new SUV or a prius this one sticks out like a sore thumb.
Having the old plates on would really complete the look Im after. nobody seems to want to buy it so may as well keep on & start driving it again

Last edited by cv67; 09-22-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

ELEFUNTMAN, that's a HEMI!

Get notified of new replies

To Ca-Vintage YOM plates

Quick Reply: Ca-Vintage YOM plates