Southern California Southern California

Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I go for scenic drives, and mulholland dr is a popular one. I mention it only because on a big sweeper a camera guy sets up and you can buy the pictures on a website. I only found out about this service later, at the time I thought , gee those guys must really think I'm cool with all the pictures and thumbs up.

IT's a tourist deal, go to the rock store and see who is at the rock store. Mostly motorcycles, showing off. When I cruised by, I saw a ricer bike with nitrous, some drinkers, and the big news was Jay Leno came by earlier in a big old car.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
We should have a run with the block of orange this month, stay tune
Sparkey, and I are in the are setting up a route we haven't taken in the past with our Blockhead group.
Stay tuned for date.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:22 PM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ufso
THE BLOCK OF ORANGE will be either on the 19th or the 26th, Pat and I haven' decided yet...stay tuned!

Sparky
Sorry, newbie here but what is Block of Orange? A club? so only club members can join on these rides?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LA88C7CE
Sorry, newbie here but what is Block of Orange? A club? so only club members can join on these rides?
Its a monthly event where all Vettes gather at the Block in Orange and go on a cruise afterwards, just show up
Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 PM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
Will do. I usually try and go when I know there's minimal activity on the roads, so either super late Saturday/Sunday night or early Monday mornings. Any time during the weekend is crowded but fun.
But definitely will contact you, maybe next weekend? Supposed to rain this weekend.
Originally Posted by Gmurabito
Welcome to the forum. I'm in glendora and would be interested in joining.
I'm interested in joining as well
Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by furiousox
I'm interested in joining as well
I think we've met before, in chino hills last year for a vette photo op? You have a black c6z, had a base c6 before? Or was that someone else lol
Definitely though will have to meet up. I try and go up gmr/Azusa as much as tires/brakes will allow!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

I think we've met before, in chino hills last year for a vette photo op? You have a black c6z, had a base c6 before? Or was that someone else lol
Definitely though will have to meet up. I try and go up gmr/Azusa as much as tires/brakes will allow!
I remember that day

Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio56
A bit of a shorter drive but also nice is Ortega Hwy. (74 off of I-5) San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Well, there are so many. If you like the coast there's always PCH. Kanan Dume Rd. from the 101 to Malibu. For mountain roads it's hard to beat Angeles Crest Hwy. Last time I was up there it was closed about 6-8 miles west of Wrightwood and may now be closed for the winter.

For inland runs there's many great roads down in the Temecula area off the 15. Look up Santa Ysabel and Julian and you can find different routes down and back. All the way down to Pine Valley via Sunrise Scenic Byway down near Lake Cuyamaca is a favorite of mine.

A bit of a shorter drive but also nice is Ortega Hwy. (74 off of I-5) San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore.

Right above you is GMR. Short but about as winding as it gets. Ironically the only time I took my car up there I got nauseated toward the bottom. I've ridden that road on my bike too many times to count and never felt that way.

Forgot to mention. I don't drive much over the speed limit. Much.

I've been riding motorcycles on So. Cal. highways since the early 1970's and I've pretty much been on every scenic road there is around here at least on a bike. Many of these I've yet to explore from the cockpit, but if I stay here long enough, I surely will.
Good overview.

OP, I lived in San Juan Capo for a decade...if you do take Ortega, you can stop off at Hell's kitchen (popular biker bar) at the top of the hill for a bite and check out all the bikes there (typically a weekend thing).

There's also some good roads through the Santiago canyon area a little further north of there in OC.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:15 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Good overview.

OP, I lived in San Juan Capo for a decade...if you do take Ortega, you can stop off at Hell's kitchen (popular biker bar) at the top of the hill for a bite and check out all the bikes there (typically a weekend thing).

There's also some good roads through the Santiago canyon area a little further north of there in OC.
The Block of Orange has been using that route for 13 years!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Good overview.

This month we might use that route and extend it to go to a place that has air borne apparatus.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:19 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice CE. Partial to them myself.

I know Escondido/Temecula area well. Angeles Crest is fun if you use the back roads. Joshua Tree has a few good roads too, but a long drive. Up to Big Bear and down the backside is fun, but looong.

Unfortunately, they’re getting more traffic-ey and tourists are the the worst.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

.if you do take Ortega, you can stop off at Hell's kitchen (popular biker bar) at the top of the hill for a bite and check out all the bikes there .
Is that the place that closed down?

Orteaga can be hazardous, witness the many fatalities with crazies on the worng side of the 'yellow'. Key, is to be super alert, take is relatively easy and only dirve in off hours.

That said, I was tailgated by a red fox-bodied Rustang at 11:30 pm, during a leisurely return from the IE, in the Vette, driivng the limit plus a couple (spouse gets edgy in the twisties). Add the above, the CHP and C'mon, reallky, who's gonna outdo a Corvette in the curves? He would not back off or pass in the TWO legal areas in the OC side. i considered pulling into a bypass, but decided it was better to have this a-hole behind, in case he lost it in a blind corner. I discovered the car's make when I followed it after his passenger threw something that hit my car's door. His plate was unreadable, but he turned south at Margurite Pkwy.

Ortega has become a love/hate road, to me. Be cautious; use a buddy, like when swimming!
You want a nice drive? Try AZ or UT........ or in the Pack of Blockheads

Last edited by whalepirot; 11-03-2017 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ufso (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:45 AM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
I remember that day

Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Good overview.

My avatar picture was taken right in front of Hell's Kitchen, in an early morning drive thru Ortega Hwy. Here's a full size shot.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 PM
LA88C7CE
Instructor

My avatar picture was taken right in front of Hell's Kitchen, in an early morning drive thru Ortega Hwy. Here's a full size shot.
Wow. You have ceramic coating on your car? Looks really good!

My Watkins Gray has ceramic pro 9H applied yesterday and it looks the same as before. Was kinda disappointed. Not sure because my car is new or the gray color doesn't show much. I asked the installer and he said 9H was applied 4 coats (gold package). I feel like wasting money.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:48 PM
furiousox
Pro

Yes sir that's me! Let's meet up for a cruise soon

Get notified of new replies

To Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?

Old 11-03-2017, 06:21 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

You guys in the L.A. area should be stopping at the Valley GTG...the largest GTG of Corvettes in the L.A. area.

They've been doing this for many, many years. Here's the link and enjoy a great bunch of guys and some super 'vettes!!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-2017-a.html

Sparky
Fearless Leader

The Block of Orange (the largest GTG of Corvettes below the Valley since 2005!

Last edited by ufso; 11-03-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

Dam I live next to you .Chino Hills
Old 11-04-2017, 12:59 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...of-orange.html

Sparky

Quick Reply: Where to go for a nice drive is So. Cal?