Southern California Southern California

Who buffs your black car??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who buffs your black car??

I'm in west LA with a black car that needs a buff badly, and I don't trust anybody to do it. I let a guy at Martin Cadillac (Santa Monica) give it a try, mistakenly thinking that going to a dealer would guarantee skills, but all he did was swirl the sh*t out of my quarter panel. Luckily he had the sense to stop when he realized the damage he was doing.

The car's been victim to acid rain and parking lot scratches and poor care, but my 10 years experience working in detail shops tells me it's all in the clear coat and an expert high-speed buffer will get 90% of it solved. Truth is, that's what my dad does for a living and that's how I know what to look for, but he's 2000 miles away and I never learned to buff myself. The one time I tried, I burned through the clear *and* base coat...

I'm not from LA - moved here somewhat recently.

So, my request is simple: If you've had someone high speed compound polish your black car without leaving swirls, please tell me who/where. If not, no need to post here

Also, thanks for your time reading.

Last edited by lancedolan; 01-02-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

I buff my black car by hand
Old 01-02-2018, 03:13 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

For clarity, I'm talking about a high-speed orbital buffer used in combination with a "compound" to heat and even out the clear coat. This process removes small scratches and, acid rain spots, and other damage to the clear coat that claybars cannot effect.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Contact Dave at Innovative Detailing - you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lancedolan
I'm in west LA with a black car that needs a buff badly, and I don't trust anybody to do it. I let a guy at Martin Cadillac (Santa Monica) give it a try, mistakenly thinking that going to a dealer would guarantee skills, but all he did was swirl the sh*t out of my quarter panel. Luckily he had the sense to stop when he realized the damage he was doing.

The car's been victim to acid rain and parking lot scratches and poor care, but my 10 years experience working in detail shops tells me it's all in the clear coat and an expert high-speed buffer will get 90% of it solved. Truth is, that's what my dad does for a living and that's how I know what to look for, but he's 2000 miles away and I never learned to buff myself. The one time I tried, I burned through the clear *and* base coat...

I'm not from LA - moved here somewhat recently.

So, my request is simple: If you've had someone high speed compound polish your black car without leaving swirls, please tell me who/where. If not, no need to post here

Also, thanks for your time reading.
99% of the guys that are using rotaries don't know how to use them correctly and end up hologramming the crap out of the paint. DA random orbitals (like Porter Cable 7424s) are fool proof and what I used to use, but they they take far longer for clearcoat correction and I imagine detailers that use them charge much more. If you find a guy, I'd love to know myself! lol

Personally, I'll never let a rotary touch my car, but if you do, I'd suggest that you make sure the person you select is bonded and insured and that you take lots of "before" pictures in the event they hologram your **** like this.....

Old 01-03-2018, 12:34 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

That's right man. You know my fears exactly. Short of repainting, this is my only solution right now though.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TABA5CO
99% of the guys that are using rotaries don't know how to use them correctly and end up hologramming the crap out of the paint. DA random orbitals (like Porter Cable 7424s) are fool proof and what I used to use, but they they take far longer for clearcoat correction and I imagine detailers that use them charge much more. If you find a guy, I'd love to know myself! lol

Personally, I'll never let a rotary touch my car, but if you do, I'd suggest that you make sure the person you select is bonded and insured and that you take lots of "before" pictures in the event they hologram your **** like this.....

Super ouch..

I'll stick with doing it by ✋.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
Super ouch..

I'll stick with doing it by ✋.
You’re not going to correct any flaws by hand, which is fine if you don’t need to, but that’s not exactly what we’re talking about here. It’s tough to find someone who is trustworthy and actually knows what they’re doing.....
Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

You’re not going to correct any flaws by hand, which is fine if you don’t need to, but that’s not exactly what we’re talking about here. It’s tough to find someone who is trustworthy and actually knows what they’re doing.....
Understood.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

I was going to say the same thing. I'm not sure what hand buffing process he's using. Vette life, are you using a "rubbing compound" on your car by hand? I guess I've done that on some surfaces before, but it doesn't generally have the affect I'm looking for. Have you gotten scratches out that way?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:26 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by lancedolan
I was going to say the same thing. I'm not sure what hand buffing process he's using. Vette life, are you using a "rubbing compound" on your car by hand? I guess I've done that on some surfaces before, but it doesn't generally have the affect I'm looking for. Have you gotten scratches out that way?
It’s possible, but it takes 100 times longer than it needs to lol
Old 01-04-2018, 03:13 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Guys,
You do not need a rotary to get show car results. It is all about the proper tools and knowledge to get the desired results. I just finished up a 05 black coupe that went from a disaster to a beautiful outcome.
Attached Images     
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I did my wife's black C5 at home years ago but, as I mentioned above, leave it to Dave at Innovative Detailing. He will do a professional paint correction job on your Vette that you will be very satisfied with. Do a search on here to see customer reviews of his work.

Here's the thread I posted when I did my wife's - materials, tools and all.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...love-hate.html
Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
I did my wife's black C5 at home years ago but, as I mentioned above, leave it to Dave at Innovative Detailing. He will do a professional paint correction job on your Vette that you will be very satisfied with. Do a search on here to see customer reviews of his work.

Dave does excellent work!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

x2 Dave is the best in Biz....especially with black. His shop was the last stop for my black 09 C6Z before I shipped it here to HI.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to do minor corrections myself a few years ago. Major stuff would be things that need wet sanding which I am not comfy with yet. I know two great corrections guys but they are not in West LA. One is Eric at Envious Detailing and the other is Kelly at SHinedetailing Inc. Both of them are very very detail oriented and do stellar work and ceramic coat install and Eric also does perfect Clear bra installs that you will normally never see a seam or edge since he rolls and caps edges. I highly suggest if you are going to go through the trouble of paint correction that you spend the money to protect it properly with ceramic or PPF or even both. Depends on the car as well. Not worth it for you normal daily car like a Honda or family wagon though. Vettes deserve it not matter what the year or mileage.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Look up Lavaggio auto detailing at Lavaggio.net. Located in Agoura Hills.

If you decide to go, I have a $75 gift certificate that I cannot use before it expires at end of January. You can have it.

Get notified of new replies

To Who buffs your black car??

Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 PM
CorvetteV
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use chemical guys or other products with dual action polisher. Black color is the best!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Contact Dave at Innovative Detailing - you will not be disappointed.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-detaling.html
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Nothing looks better than a clean well detailed black car. Nothing looks worse than a neglected black car. By far the toughest color to keep up. As you found out the dealer is the least able to detail a car. In my experience all they can do well is create swirl marks.

It is a shame that cars as expensive as the Corvette don't always include enough clear coat thickness to safely wet sand.

Quick Reply: Who buffs your black car??