Southern California Southern California

Reputable Tire Shop in the OC (So Cal)

Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Reputable Tire Shop in the OC (So Cal)

I’ve been buying all my tires from Tire Rack for about a dozen years now and I’ve had plenty of great service from my usual tire shops when dealing with my other cars and trucks. I’m looking for recommendations for a good shop in Orange County that will mount and balance third party wheels and tires for the Vette.

These wheel sizes and the stiffness of the run flat sidewalls presents challenges and I’m looking for a referral for a shop that can handle it without butchering the wheels. I know of two shops that can mount the even larger Aventador rears, but they aren’t big on mounting someone else’s skins.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Hit Apex
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

You have a PM
The following users liked this post:
MacRoadie (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I lived in SoCal, my best pricing and service came from Discount Tire. I would show them the best price I could get at Tirerack and they would match the price with installation included. They also use a Hunter machine to balance tires....
Old 01-14-2018, 09:22 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick 02 Z06
When I lived in SoCal, my best pricing and service came from Discount Tire. I would show them the best price I could get at Tirerack and they would match the price with installation included. They also use a Hunter machine to balance tires....
Yeah, from what I understand, the Hunter machine is almost a must (the mounting machine with tower attachment, as well as the balancer).

Last edited by MacRoadie; 01-14-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 PM
todm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are willing to come to North County San Diego, go to North County Wheel and Tire. Only place that has been able to do my new tires And get them mounted
Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 AM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

America's Tire. Love them.

-Josh
Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Don't know if alignment shops can help you, but at least they may be able to recommend someone who can mount and balance. Some shops' names that I've copied down over the years include: Clark's House of Suspension, Lake Forest; West End Alignment, Gardena; Accurate Alignment, Orange; and Jimmy's Tire Center in San Clemente. Hope they can help you.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Greetings,

I highly recommend Wheel Warehouse in Orange, CA. I've done business with them several times and each time has been a great experience.

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Not is CA but......... with all the custom rides out there handling corvette tires is easy compared to the 22s and truck set ups. Point is find a good custom tire shop with the proper equipment and that will work.

Also please get the manager and inspect your wheels BEFORE they touch the car. Get him to agree with the condition of your rims and have him commit they will be returned the same condition.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM
MacRoadie
Racer

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

You don’t appreciate the size until you see them off the car.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Stuman45
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 33 Posts

Please post up or pm me the shop that you end up using. I have a new set of wheels and tires on the way and need a referral as well.

FYI I've done a lot of business with Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel and they are great. But this was always for truck tires on pretty standard wheels.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Originally Posted by Stuman45
Please post up or pm me the shop that you end up using. I have a new set of wheels and tires on the way and need a referral as well.

FYI I've done a lot of business with Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel and they are great. But this was always for truck tires on pretty standard wheels.
Will-do!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Hit Apex
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuman45

Tucker Tire is great and they might be able to do it cheap, but man those guys are cowboys! I don't think I'd take my Z06 wheels over there, but perhaps they have some back alley magic they can work.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Don't go to America's Tire in Mission Viejo...

Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
Tucker Tire is great and they might be able to do it cheap, but man those guys are cowboys!
Yes, it surely is a zoo, but I've hung out in back when they were fixing a leaky chrome rim on the 745Li. As a family place, they are easy to deal with, hence my access to the actual guy doing the work. I believe if you talk with the front counter guy, expressing concerns for the rims, he'd say yea or nay.

I've had mixed tire mounting experience with TireRack's installers. TireRack itself, is great!

Last edited by whalepirot; 01-20-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Yes, it surely is a zoo, but I've hung out in back when they were fixing a leaky chrome rim on the 745Li. As a family place, they are easu to deal with, hence my access to the actual guy doing the work, and I bevieve if you talk with the front counter guy, expressing concerns fo the rims, he'd say yea or nay.

I've had mixed experience with TireRack's installers.
Never actually bought wheels from Tire Rack, just tires. Living in So Cal, they can get just about anything delivered from their Reno, NV warehouse pretty much second day, with standard delivery fees. Great service, awesome prices, and huge selection, all with no sales tax!

Get notified of new replies

To Reputable Tire Shop in the OC (So Cal)

Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

America's Tire (in Signal Hill). They have mounted 3 different sets of run flats for my C7 Z06 for me. Or you could try ASAP tire. ASAP tire will come to you. They did the tire mounting on my Signature Wheels.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I was waiting to get these back before weighing in - I recently asked the same question here and was directed to California Chrome and John Neill. I had a set of new TSW Nurburgring 19/20 wheels of which one was slightly dinged that I sent to CalChrome for repair. They discovered the runout on that wheel was out so I had them repair the wheel and then powder coat the whole set using their fusion powder coating process in their graphite color. Their fusion process delivers a much smoother, aesthetically pleasing finish that is far tougher than regular paint.

They did a fabulous job on my wheels and even picked them up and dropped them off at my work place so I didn't have to drive to their Valencia facility. The finish is beautiful and the quality of the process is evident and consistent across all four wheels.

Btw, I bought the tires and sensors myself and they had no problem mounting and road-force balancing my stuff using their Hunter equipment.

I want to thank those who pointed me to CalChrome and definitely give them my recommendation.

Crappy iPhone pics until I can get decent shots this weekend. The first pic is before and shows it has the machined faces and the rest are the finished coated wheels. The repair that was done forced a full powder coat which I was actually considering anyway.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Patches; 01-19-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Look great on the car.

Last edited by Patches; 02-25-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reputable Tire Shop in the OC (So Cal)