Southern California Southern California

Relocation to Bakersfield

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Z06ish
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Relocation to Bakersfield

Need some advice, I am looking at a potential transfer from Houston to Bakersfield. I have a couple cars and need to know if I can get them legally registered over there.
2005 Vette: ECS Supercharged, small blower cam, Kooks LT headers w/cats, Corsa mufflers. Makes a little over 600 at the rear wheels and is only loud if I get on it. Zero issues at any state inspection station here in Texas.
1998 Trans AM: Very large cam, TSP heads, longtubes, offroad x-pipe with dumps, dual stage N20, wolf roll bar, etc….I figure I will have to leave this one here in Texas as even here I have to find an inspector with a lazy eye to get it inspected.
I am concerned about the corvette, there has to be guys running similar setups in California, but I am wondering if I should just sell it here and buy another one there that is already CARB smog compliant?
Also, I have read horror stories about registering new diesel trucks in California, anyone have experience with that? I just got a new 2017 F250 Powerstroke Ford (I know a bad word on this forum) and wondering how badly they are going to bend me over registering it.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Short answer: The long tubes on both cars will cause problems. Blower may pass if it's a CARB approved blower. Cam likely less of an issue, especially if it's mild.

Depending on what's been done with the truck, you may be OK. They went wacko the first few years after the diesel smog law went in to effect, but if it's a non-modified vehicle, you should be OK.
Smog test is effectively (a) a visual for any non-oe parts, (b) a scan of the computer to make sure that it's emissions code free, and (c) a visual check for smoke.

I've not had any issues with my trucks, though my new trucks have been sold new in CA. My old truck went through smog checks without problems, though they did ask a BUNCH of oddball questions about things that looked like they could potentially be non-oe (as in, the cables for my solar float charger that ran to the batteries).

HTH
Old 01-19-2018, 11:23 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Moving to BSF? I'm sorry for your loss. Are you sure you can't stay in TX? I would find a new job or sell all the no longer oem stock cars. You can't even have a non-calif compliant cat converter in the people republic of kali. Your cars are just the beginning of getting bent over. I live here and I know. Buy vaseline by the large tub.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Moving to BSF? I'm sorry for your loss. Are you sure you can't stay in TX? I would find a new job or sell all the no longer oem stock cars. You can't even have a non-calif compliant cat converter in the people republic of kali. Your cars are just the beginning of getting bent over. I live here and I know. Buy vaseline by the large tub.
Where in CA are you?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Where in CA are you?
Redondo Beach
Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Mike481
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ish
Need some advice, I am looking at a potential transfer from Houston to Bakersfield. I have a couple cars and need to know if I can get them legally registered over there.
2005 Vette: ECS Supercharged, small blower cam, Kooks LT headers w/cats, Corsa mufflers. Makes a little over 600 at the rear wheels and is only loud if I get on it. Zero issues at any state inspection station here in Texas.
1998 Trans AM: Very large cam, TSP heads, longtubes, offroad x-pipe with dumps, dual stage N20, wolf roll bar, etc….I figure I will have to leave this one here in Texas as even here I have to find an inspector with a lazy eye to get it inspected.
I am concerned about the corvette, there has to be guys running similar setups in California, but I am wondering if I should just sell it here and buy another one there that is already CARB smog compliant?
Also, I have read horror stories about registering new diesel trucks in California, anyone have experience with that? I just got a new 2017 F250 Powerstroke Ford (I know a bad word on this forum) and wondering how badly they are going to bend me over registering it.
Thanks in advance.

You're going to have a problem with your Diesel truck but it won't be the inspection. When I moved back to SoCal in 2013 I had just bought a new Duramax and it passed inspections with no problems. It may be different by county but down here diesels only get a visual inspection and maybe an OBDII scan. The real problem you will have is the California "Use Tax". I don't know what your sales tax on new vehicles is in Houston but California makes you pay the difference between the tax rate in the state where you purchased the vehicle and the California county where you will register it. They call this a "Use Tax". I was working in South Dakota when I bought mine and the tax difference was over $4k. I had to prove to the tax board that I bought the truck before I knew about my transfer and had no intention to bring it to California at the time of purchase. Without proof I would have had to pay the extra $4k when i registered it. If you purchased the truck less than 12 months before you will have to register it in CA than you will be subject to the same B.S. I was. You are able to open a case with the tax board and submit your documentation before you go to register, if approved they give you what I called my "golden ticket" to take to the DMV to prove your truck is exempt.

Good luck

Mike
Old 01-19-2018, 06:14 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

The ECS blower doesn't have a carb # so it won't pass smog. The headers won't fly either
Old 01-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Z06ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike481
You're going to have a problem with your Diesel truck but it won't be the inspection. When I moved back to SoCal in 2013 I had just bought a new Duramax and it passed inspections with no problems. It may be different by county but down here diesels only get a visual inspection and maybe an OBDII scan. The real problem you will have is the California "Use Tax". I don't know what your sales tax on new vehicles is in Houston but California makes you pay the difference between the tax rate in the state where you purchased the vehicle and the California county where you will register it. They call this a "Use Tax". I was working in South Dakota when I bought mine and the tax difference was over $4k. I had to prove to the tax board that I bought the truck before I knew about my transfer and had no intention to bring it to California at the time of purchase. Without proof I would have had to pay the extra $4k when i registered it. If you purchased the truck less than 12 months before you will have to register it in CA than you will be subject to the same B.S. I was. You are able to open a case with the tax board and submit your documentation before you go to register, if approved they give you what I called my "golden ticket" to take to the DMV to prove your truck is exempt.

Good luck

Mike
Yes, I called the California DNV today and that is going to be expensive because I purchased less than a year from when I will relocate there. I am not looking to relocate until April/May this year but I will still be subject to it as I just bought the truck 12/30 last year. Tax rate is about the same, but in Texas you only pay sales tax on the trade difference, because I traded in a different truck that was about 25k I will have to pay that sales on that additional 25k plus any difference from California sales tax rate and Texas...which is about the same. This is the first I have heard about a "golden ticket", how did you initiate that process with the tax board, is there a form? At least in 2019 I will only have to pay $750 to have my truck there.

Cant take my cars, have to pay state income tax and everything cost more...awesome.

Thanks for the replies guy.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM
Mike481
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I called the California DNV today and that is going to be expensive because I purchased less than a year from when I will relocate there. I am not looking to relocate until April/May this year but I will still be subject to it as I just bought the truck 12/30 last year. Tax rate is about the same, but in Texas you only pay sales tax on the trade difference, because I traded in a different truck that was about 25k I will have to pay that sales on that additional 25k plus any difference from California sales tax rate and Texas...which is about the same. This is the first I have heard about a "golden ticket", how did you initiate that process with the tax board, is there a form? At least in 2019 I will only have to pay $750 to have my truck there.

Cant take my cars, have to pay state income tax and everything cost more...awesome.

Thanks for the replies guy.
"Golden ticket" was the name the woman at the DMV called it. I'm pretty sure that's just their nickname for it. To get it I just contacted the state of California Board of Equalization. I'll see if I can find the contact info for the guy I dealt with and send it to you in a PM.

Mike
Old 01-19-2018, 08:03 PM
ULEWZ
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Moving to BSF? I'm sorry for your loss. Are you sure you can't stay in TX?

Last edited by ULEWZ; 01-19-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

read up on gun laws. you might get bent over on other stuff you own too.

There better be a huge carrot to move from houston to bakersfield. I assume you have visited BSF? I'b be looking for a new job or new girlfriend or whatever it took

Oh...after your california colonoscopy you will get continually hassled by other annoyances.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ont-plate.html

Last edited by fatbillybob; 01-19-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

How many miles on the Truck?? You will need to have over 7500 miles to register it as used. You can register it as new but only if the emissions sticker underhood lists specifically Ca emissions as well as Fed. Now the newer model cars/trucks may all now list Ca but I don't know that. Here is mine and it was a Ca sourced car in 2016. DMV will check this. In fact it is about all the DMV actually checks besides the vin.

Even the Texas sourced 2008 C6Z06 I bought in 2012 had Ca Emissions listed on the emissions sticker to I am guessing all cars and trucks have it now. But simply saying Federal emissions compliance will not be sufficient.

Last edited by pkincy; 01-19-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 PM
Z06ish
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkincy
How many miles on the Truck?? You will need to have over 7500 miles to register it as used. You can register it as new but only if the emissions sticker underhood lists specifically Ca emissions as well as Fed. Now the newer model cars/trucks may all now list Ca but I don't know that. Here is mine and it was a Ca sourced car in 2016. DMV will check this. In fact it is about all the DMV actually checks besides the vin.

Even the Texas sourced 2008 C6Z06 I bought in 2012 had Ca Emissions listed on the emissions sticker to I am guessing all cars and trucks have it now. But simply saying Federal emissions compliance will not be sufficient.
It has less than 1000 miles on it, but I checked the window sticker and it states it is 50 state emissions legal. Thanks.

I do have several firearms...I'll need to look into that. As you might have guessed I work in oil and gas and this is supposed to be a "short term" relocation, so I'll be back in Houston in 3-5 years.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:12 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Window sticker means nothing. The underhood emissions sticker must say Ca emissions. 50 state is not acceptable in Ca. (go figure)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

horror stories about registering new diesel trucks
Might be true. According to a pal who is a fleet manager for a large aerospace company, Kali is the sole autocracy that requires DEF fluid used in the installed system. Your new truck may be required to have it to meet emissions, but do your homework on this.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:43 AM
Z06ish
Instructor

Window sticker means nothing. The underhood emissions sticker must say Ca emissions. 50 state is not acceptable in Ca. (go figure)

Looks like I can take one vehicle at least.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Thank you for that. I have been suspecting that all US delivery cars now show both Fed and Ca emissions on that sticker and it appears that is so. Therefore us Kalifornians can now buy cars we don't specifically order from out of state.

Get notified of new replies

To Relocation to Bakersfield

Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

As I read and checked into re: a now-lemon-lawed '15 Sube, bought in DEN. The local dealer was weirded out that I only wanted to look under the hood of a lot car (to see where it was attached). Turned out, the Outback I special ordered came with a CA sticker, despite factory delivery to DEN.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:57 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Apparently most if not all US spec cars are now delivered with a sticker that says Ca emissions, but given that it is a requirement we should always be smart enough to check it out.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:33 AM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

will you still have a legal residence in tx? if so leave the vette and trans am registered there. also don't know how it is for inspection when bringing in an out of state vehicle, but its not terribly difficult to find someone to *ahem* miss a few things during inspection.

Quick Reply: Relocation to Bakersfield