Southern California Southern California

No front plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
bikingles
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No front plate

It finally happened last Saturday. I was parked at a meter fully paid plenty of time in the peoples republic of Santa Monica (they need more revenue for the homeless) when I came back to my 06 vert to find a ticket for no front plate. Two options add a plate get signed off CHP $10 or send in $25 and be on my way. I'm opting for the latter. Just giving everybody a heads up if you can avoid SM do so. Next time an Uber for me.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Ricks99FRC
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Not just Santa Monica, alI of LA county bad. Don't go to LAX with a Vette and no front plate they use poles with mirrors checking for no front plate. Buena Park in Orange county bad also.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricks99FRC
Not just Santa Monica, alI of LA county bad. Don't go to LAX with a Vette and no front plate they use poles with mirrors checking for no front plate. Buena Park in Orange county bad also.
Never had any issues in all these areas mentioned including LAX. Been there least 10 time in the C5. Also I have a gaping hole where the license plate supposed to go too so it's even more obvious.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricks99FRC
Rick, I got one of those tickets in my metal car at LAX off site parking lots!!!!!!! $25.00 took care of it.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Rick, I got one of those tickets in my metal car at LAX off site parking lots!!
Ditto, more than once! Once, my snug car cover was mostly off, so the d-ckhead could check the rear plate.
Irvine and Tustin are not much better, so I spend few $$ is those places and avoid LA County like the s-hole it is.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 AM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

My brother went to a BB game at Staples and there was a cop motioning people to an area.

Creep was corralling a bunch to give out no front plate tickets.

Brother said it spoiled the night that they would lay in wait at an event.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 PM
TACTrZO6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Ditto, more than once! Once, my snug car cover was mostly off, so the d-ckhead could check the rear plate.
Irvine and Tustin are not much better, so I spend few $$ is those places and avoid LA County like the s-hole it is.
You cant say s-hole...lol
Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

This is one of my biggest automotive pet peeves in LA. I accept that a cop should be able to ticket you for no front plate, primarily if he pulls you over for something else. I've actually been pulled over while driving for no having a front plate, but got out of it by claiming my car had just been wrapped. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky.

But I HATE how the parking enforcement people do it when you're otherwise legally parked because that wreaks purely of a money grub. I got a bunch of those tickets years ago, including at LAX, but back that you could mail a photo of your car with the plate to the Parking Enforcement office and pay a $10 fine. Then I heard that the rule changed so that the only option was to have a cop sign off. So I switched to temporarily mounting a plate any time I parked on the street or in a city-owned lot or garage. I use a clip-on mount for my Vette.

Are you guys saying that now you have the option of paying a $25 fine in both LA and Santa Monica without having to show any evidence of mounting your plate? Shoot, if I had known that I almost certainly wouldn't have shelled out $190 for the removable plate.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TACTrZO6
You cant say s-hole...lol
Oh, was that out loud?

With all the distracted driivng, ineffectively enforced, who sets the priorities? Of course it's all revenue and easy pickin's! How about tailgaters, now a daily event!

Oh, here I go again, telling them how to do their jobs. A LAX 'cop' challenged me to fight as he wrote my newish white Vette a ticket for an unattended curb stop of 57 seconds; never mind the P/U truck parked astern from before I arrived until after I left for his boss at the sub-station, where the ticket was apologetically removed from my hand.

Cue, theme from Mayberry RFD, played on a Fife!
Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM
oAllElseFailo
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

What?.. You had the option to just pay it off? Last time I got a ticket for no front plate they made me go down and get it signed off that i put a front plate on my car.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It has been asked twice, I will make it three times. If you just pay the $25 fine you do not have to show evidence of the front plate being installed??

Last edited by Vet Interested; 01-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

This has only been a problem since the red-light cameras have been installed.
If you don't have a front plate, they may not be able to mail you a ticket for running a red light!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:51 PM
bikingles
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
It has been asked twice, I will make it three times. If you just pay the $25 fine you do not have to show evidence of the front plate being installed??

So here's the deal. I got the ticket two weeks ago Saturday. On the back the instructions stated pay the $25 fine or the option of fixing the infraction(no front plate) and have signed off by DMV or CHP. For the extra $15 I choose to ignore and I just paid the $25 online and received confirmation fine was paid nothing more to do. Just an inconvenience and money grab for government to squeeze us.
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 PM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bikingles
So here's the deal. I got the ticket two weeks ago Saturday. On the back the instructions stated pay the $25 fine or the option of fixing the infraction(no front plate) and have signed off by DMV or CHP. For the extra $15 I choose to ignore and I just paid the $25 online and received confirmation fine was paid nothing more to do. Just an inconvenience and money grab for government to squeeze us.
Perhaps this is only an option in Santa Monica and not in the City of Los Angeles?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 AM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I got pulled over for it in my Chrysler 300 and given the ticket and said “there is no stock mounting point for a plate, and I cannot drill into the bumper the car is leased and body modifications are not allowed” and they didn’t write me the ticket.

I’m assuming I got lucky lol
Old 01-20-2018, 02:05 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

If this is truly what it says verbatim, once you pay the $25 you are in the clear from any future violations.

Last edited by toddalin; 01-20-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:19 PM
REKCUF
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Why don't you guys just install the front plate & avoid all the hassles?

Get notified of new replies

To No front plate

Old 01-20-2018, 02:21 PM
bikingles
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddalin
If this is truly what it says verbatim, once you pay the $25 you are in the clear from any future violations.

I'm assuming so. I paid it online yesterday received a confirmation email back within minutes and the money has already been taken from my account. I also will be avoiding Santa Monica in the near future.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I used to shop in Santa Monica often. I haven't been there in over 5 years because of this front plate nonsense.

SM has much worse problems than cars with no front plates.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:36 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I'm assuming so. I paid it online yesterday received a confirmation email back within minutes and the money has already been taken from my account. I also will be avoiding Santa Monica in the near future.

I think maybe you missed the point.

If paying the fine is the equivelent of fixing the problem, then once you've paid the fine the problem is now fixed and you should receive no further fines, even if you leave the plate off.

One for the lawyers to fight about.

Quick Reply: No front plate