Southern California Southern California

Next step after changing gears from 3.15 to 3.73?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:29 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Next step after changing gears from 3.15 to 3.73?

Hello everyone, I'm bringing my 01 a4 with 3.15's into unitrax in Anaheim after some great feedback from forum members about them the week after next. Now I've heard a varied amount on what needs to be done to the car after changing to the shorter gears, and I just spoke with unitrax and they said they do not do any programming, just the mechanical stuff. Can anyone tell me what will need to be done after the change for her to be adapted to the new ratio? If possible I would prefer not to do a full tune on it, as I've got a few performance things I want to do before that, but its my only car, so I have to get it all wrapped up and finished that same day I pick it up. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm just not sure what the next step is. Also any shops that you'd suggest to do the work I'm all ears to hear about. ill appreciate any and all help, thank you!
-Gabe
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

You will need a tune or you will hitting your rev limiter frequently until the shift points are adjusted to accommodate the new gearing. I also adjusted the shift pressures a bit when I did the 2.73--->3.42 swap years ago but that's not a must. Cunningham Motorsports is in Murrieta and can do any tuning you need - talk to Ryne.
The following users liked this post:
GabeNation (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:58 AM
GabeNation
Instructor

thanks for the suggestion, but I'm on the other side of the hill from you, if anyone knows of a shop out here that can do the tuning I'm all ears, thanks!
-Gabe
Old 02-18-2018, 04:33 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Any other suggestions?
-Gabe
Old 02-18-2018, 09:01 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, buy one of the handheld tuners. I would expect that all of them could easily accommodate a gear change.
GabeNation (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 AM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkincy
Yes, buy one of the handheld tuners. I would expect that all of them could easily accommodate a gear change.
great idea actually, I hadn't thought about that. I'm gonna get her dyno tuned in the next couple months though and I wouldn't need it anymore, but otherwise it'd be perfect.
-Gabe
Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

getting towards D-day (differential day ), any last minute suggestions on where to bring her to get the shift points adjusted?
-Gabe
Old 02-21-2018, 03:20 AM
GabeNation
Instructor

I go back on my willingness to go to Cunningham, I just realized they're the tuning monsters in the area I kept hearing about but couldn't remember the name to. Im taking her there no question about it. does anyone know if driving the car without the shift points changed for a day or two will hurt anything? obviously id be keeping my foot out of it the entire time.
-Gabe
Old 02-21-2018, 04:46 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

First problem is to get on their schedule. And having them tuning only for a new rear gear, seems a bit trivial for them.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

You might be able to work something out with Ryne - give him a call. I'm sure he realizes that, once you are a satisfied customer, you are more likely to return for other work in the future. I know I will.

Ryne just re-tuned my s/c C7 a few weeks ago. He fixed a totally messed up tune another local tuner screwed up on my car within a day of me dropping off at CMS. The other tuner had 6 or 7 cracks at it over 5 months and never got it right. Runs like a bat outta' hell now.
GabeNation (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patches
You might be able to work something out with Ryne - give him a call. I'm sure he realizes that, once you are a satisfied customer, you are more likely to return for other work in the future. I know I will.

Ryne just re-tuned my s/c C7 a few weeks ago. He fixed a totally messed up tune another local tuner screwed up on my car within a day of me dropping off at CMS. The other tuner had 6 or 7 cracks at it over 5 months and never got it right. Runs like a bat outta' hell now.
Just fired them off an email, thanks for the help Patches!
-Gabe

Get notified of new replies

To Next step after changing gears from 3.15 to 3.73?

Quick Reply: Next step after changing gears from 3.15 to 3.73?