Get A Second Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Default Get A Second Opinion

Always get a second opinion.
2010 base model, 47,500 miles. Developed an engine noise that sounded like tick,tick,tick coming from the driver's side near the alternator. It gets louder as the engine warms up. It sounded like it was in the area of the #1 cylinder. Looked for evidence of bad wires or maybe an exhaust leak. Nothing. I am wondering if it is inside the engine (lifter) but with my mileage and the fact that the car has not been abused I would be surprised if that was it. Finally decided (against my better judgement) to go to the dealership, Bob Stall Chevy. The service advisor (Chris), could not hear the noise. He said "sounds good to me". I said, "You seriously can't hear that?" He could not. So, they take the car. Two hours later he walks up to me and says,"Well, I guess that is why I am not a tech, they found the sound coming from the #1 cylinder lifter". It is gonna cost $2,200 to fix one lifter but if there is cam damage it will be much more. I am not thrilled but I tell him I will pay their $140 diagnostic feel but I will take it somewhere else. Long story longer, one of my son's friends recommends a local shop that races LS motors. They will charge $108 to check it out. I drop it off and they call me an hour and a half later with the following news. "We found your #3 spark plug was loose. We checked for thread damage on the plug and head. We checked the condition of the wire & plug. Everything was good. Reinstalled the plug and performed a road test. It is ready for pick up". Needless to say I was in a better mood. True, I did spend $248 to find a loose spark plug which I am not proud of but that is better than $2,200 or more. I do wonder had I decided to let the dealer do it, would they have stopped when they found the loose plug? Glad I did not have to find out. When in doubt, GET A SECOND OPINION!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 03-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Just got back from the dealership. Spoke to Jack their Service Manager. He looked over the paperwork from both facilities. He said, "We are not perfect and sometimes make mistakes. Looks like we owe you $140". That is customer service I was not expecting. I have to give them credit for that.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:29 PM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Unreal another stay away from dealer story, unless you have computer or reflashing issues the local shops can not do your always better going to a local shop that works on ls engines, i will always go to AHP and let Kohle look at and get his opinion before i would consider going to a dealer .
Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. I bet they would have never noticed the plug was loose till they had done the work.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

A second vote for Kohle and American Heritage.

Guys, if anyone has any issue and your car is out of warranty, there is no reason he shouldn't be your first call.

He has had an amazing shop, does amazing work and he and his guys are amazing. You will Look for any excuse to swing by - you might even start dropping your car off for gas fill-ups
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry

Guys, if anyone has any issue and your car is out of warranty, there is no reason he shouldn't be your first call.

He has had an amazing shop, does amazing work and he and his guys are amazing. You will Look for any excuse to swing by - you might even start dropping your car off for gas fill-ups
Totally agree!
The following users liked this post:
American Heritage (03-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Throw one of these in your tool box...
Amazon Amazon

Mechanic's stethoscope can be fairly useful in pinpointing the whereabouts of engine noises.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:22 PM
eagle7175
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Throw one of these in your tool box... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Mechanic's stethoscope can be fairly useful in pinpointing the whereabouts of engine noises.

along with the stethoscope consider a laser thermometer, great tools for identifying automotive issues.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eagle7175

along with the stethoscope consider a laser thermometer, great tools for identifying automotive issues.
I actually got one (at Harbor Freight) and the sound was in the area of the #1 & 3 cylinder. I checked everything BUT the plug!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 03-12-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:58 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry

Thank you Sir! Very much appreciate the kind words.

OP: Great public service announcement. Glad you got it out of there and to a Honest/competent shop to take a second look.

We often do Pre purchase inspections, post purchase inspections and 2nd opinions for customers who are not 100% confident in the diagnostic they received from another shop or dealership.

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
310-326-2399
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (03-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Get A Second Opinion

Quick Reply: Get A Second Opinion