Driving glove choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Driving glove choice?

Searching here is useless

Last edited by whalepirot; 12-10-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I do not wear them but I have to ask...why wear them in the first place?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I do not wear them but I have to ask...why wear them in the first place?

it goes with the rest of the outfit. Isn't this how everybody dresses?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:22 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I really need inpout, but...
Doc takes incredible care of his Vettes and wears them. Having a few cars myself and always looking to learn from others, I believe it helps protect the leather wheel from oil and dirt from hands. I've done some leather restoration and proper method starts with prevention, then goes to removing dirt, etc. during the cleaning, then restoring proper leather oils to the target.
Right on all accounts. Been using them since my 1994 Dodge Stealth Turbo.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Thanks Sparky. Any specifics on what features you find important, or brands to buy or others to avoid?
Mike, the ones I use right now are RINGER'S GLOVES (Super Cuff R-13). They're soft leather on the inside finger side and an elastic material on the backside.

Work great for me.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:35 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Hey Mike, Doc and I originally bought them at the Pomona Winter Nationals back in 2005. I've replaced mine "ONCE" since then. Just soak in Woolite and they are good to go!

Since they don't carry the 13's, then get the 14's. You know what, I really don't know if those are driving or mechanics gloves. But, no matter what they are for they have worked perfectly for me. Soft material against the steering wheel leather and stretchable material on the back of the glove.

They are too pissant cheap to pass them up.

I've washed them in Woolite and they come out like new...and smell good too!!! Sounds like a f*****g 50's commercial!

But hey, am doing my 8 year old California Duster the same way. Dry it out and a quick spray of Pledge and it's ready to do another few years.

Sparky

Last edited by ufso; 07-20-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been wearing gloves since I met Sparky in 2005. I ruined the steering wheel of my '88 Corvette my not doing so. The oils in your hands then the sun ruin the leather steering wheel. I picked up some light weight mechanics gloves at O'Riely auto parts that work well. Wash them often in Woolite and they're still good to go.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

These were $11 bucks and have worked well for me. Theyre very similar to the light Mecanix gloves. They also help if you get sweaty palms especially during "spirited" driving.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Hallowee...72.m2749.l2649
Old 08-01-2018, 06:49 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Default medicine bag optional.

Geier deerskin gloves are a favorite of mine. Finely made in the USA , soft and durable, yet priced like roping gloves, which is the kind of stuff they generally trade in. It's not euro style, but works for me, and they even have a couple of styles with holes in the finger backs, billed as driving or causal dress gloves. All kinds of leather, I hear kangaroo is best, but they have elk or buffalo if you want to get tough. You can even buy a medicine bag, with or without fringe, for that last bit of driver skill improvement.
This is a first line glove company, hand stitched and usa made, selling to workers needs, so I dig the price. Not competition gear, but good all purpose light gloves. I like the buckle adjustment in the back type, in deerskin, regular, no drivers glove holes.I am so happy you asked. I always enjoyed the quality of the gloves, and was happy to have any excuse to spread the brand around. So much product out there is lesser quality and costs more, sold as seasonal goods for a cheap price at target or a high volume sporting goods store. I waned to spread the word as a happy customer , but not too many guys down by the beach are asking about driving gloves that are not for golf. Thanks for the car care tip, about protecting the surface of the steering wheel. although it is just common sense, i never thought much about care for that surface. I l always like to know the correct way to do stuff, and then modify as needed. I am going for patina, hand polished through wear leather, not show car. I wear the gloves when the top is down , along with the temperature. I do enjoy knowing about a more careful way to steward the car, i always just let the wheel care for its self, a habit to improve, but I might have missed my window for change at 66. vc
Old 08-01-2018, 07:27 PM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
These were $11 bucks and have worked well for me. Theyre very similar to the light Mecanix gloves. They also help if you get sweaty palms especially during "spirited" driving.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Hallowee...72.m2749.l2649
Got some on Amazon, my style, a little irreverent compared to pretentious leather gloves.

have been looking for skeleton gloves in nomex for racing too.
Like Dale Jrs race gloves.
http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/n...es-for-a-cause

Get notified of new replies

To Driving glove choice?

Quick Reply: Driving glove choice?