Southern California Southern California

Yosemite National Park Group Drive?

 
Old 09-13-2018, 03:00 PM
  #1  
s2kpunisher
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Palmdale CA
Posts: 623
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yosemite National Park Group Drive?

Would love to see NorCal and SoCal Corvettes do a Yosemite National Park drive, who would be interested and lead this for SoCal??

Last edited by s2kpunisher; 11-23-2018 at 01:15 PM.
s2kpunisher is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 03:04 PM
  #2  
s2kpunisher
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Palmdale CA
Posts: 623
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Posted in the NorCal sub-forum too: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oup-drive.html

Last edited by s2kpunisher; 09-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.
s2kpunisher is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 AM
  #3  
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member
 
Grzldvt1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 4,427
Received 319 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by s2kpunisher View Post
Would love to see NorCal and SoCal Corvettes do a Yosemite National Park drive, who would be interested and lead this for SoCal??
I can lead this, as I put on some epic Yosemite runs many moons ago
Grzldvt1 is online now  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 AM
  #4  
ULEWZ
CF Senior Member
 
ULEWZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: Northridge CA
Posts: 990
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

I would be interested also, but probably not for a while. I am all vacationed out. I have done a few motorcycle runs up there staging out of Oakhurst. You don't speed in the park, so that is just follow the leader doing 40 mph or less. There is a great run that circles the outside of Yosemite that is fun, returns through Lee Vining, but it is 300ish miles.
Here is a link to the long ride Yosemite map .
This will take you through the Little Dragon (like tail of the dragon in the west by Moccasin CA), Lee Vining for lunch, and the Tioga Pass, back through the park.
I am thinking a long 3 or 4 day weekend?
Oh, Tioga pass is not open all year due to snow, so June to October is the desired normal window, with September being prime. Also the Shilo Inn (crap, now Southgate Hotel and Suites) is good with overflow to the Yosemite Sierre Inn next door, or Best Western Plus, but rooms fill up fast.
So, drive up Friday, long cruise on Saturday, park sites Sunday, Monday drive home. And no need to limit this to So Cal/Nor Cal, we could also include Vegas/Tahoe groups.

Last edited by ULEWZ; 09-14-2018 at 11:54 AM.
ULEWZ is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 02:57 AM
  #5  
duhveed
CF Senior Member
 
duhveed's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 660
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

When?
duhveed is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 AM
  #6  
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member
 
Grzldvt1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 4,427
Received 319 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ULEWZ View Post
I would be interested also, but probably not for a while. I am all vacationed out. I have done a few motorcycle runs up there staging out of Oakhurst. You don't speed in the park, so that is just follow the leader doing 40 mph or less. There is a great run that circles the outside of Yosemite that is fun, returns through Lee Vining, but it is 300ish miles.
Here is a link to the long ride Yosemite map .
This will take you through the Little Dragon (like tail of the dragon in the west by Moccasin CA), Lee Vining for lunch, and the Tioga Pass, back through the park.
I am thinking a long 3 or 4 day weekend?
Oh, Tioga pass is not open all year due to snow, so June to October is the desired normal window, with September being prime. Also the Shilo Inn (crap, now Southgate Hotel and Suites) is good with overflow to the Yosemite Sierre Inn next door, or Best Western Plus, but rooms fill up fast.
So, drive up Friday, long cruise on Saturday, park sites Sunday, Monday drive home. And no need to limit this to So Cal/Nor Cal, we could also include Vegas/Tahoe groups.
Yes, there is absolutely no tire tests in the park, way too dangerous. I have put on about 15 runs in the park for the Forum from 2000 to 2007. I have an itinerary that gets to all 3 sections of the park. However in October you start in Mariposa, up to Glacier Point, do the Valley floor, back to Mariposa.then next day up to Tioga Pass and out to go north up to Lundy Canyon, and Virginia Canyon for the fall color and stay at the Lakeview Lodge on 395, then through and around June Lake. with a stop at Convict Lake and home
By the way Old Hwy 120 is a great ride that ends up putting you in Bishop when you take Hwy 6. Much shorter and still very cool. Check it out.

Grzldvt1 is online now  
Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 PM
  #7  
SDVette
CF Senior Member
 
SDVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 3,998
Received 379 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

I can vouch for Steve (Grzldvt1) as a tour guide. I was on one of the early runs (2000?). A group of us from San Diego met up with a NorCal group. Well organized and a very enjoyable long weekend.

Here are some photos from that trip.. I was so young then!





SDVette is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 PM
  #8  
s2kpunisher
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Palmdale CA
Posts: 623
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Grzldvt you are hereby nominated to lead this event. Seems like a dozen or more are interested in the idea from the NorCal/SoCal sub-forum. Probably aim for April/May 2019.
s2kpunisher is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 AM
  #9  
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member
 
Grzldvt1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 4,427
Received 319 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by s2kpunisher View Post
Grzldvt you are hereby nominated to lead this event. Seems like a dozen or more are interested in the idea from the NorCal/SoCal sub-forum. Probably aim for April/May 2019.
It is a better time frame, albeit it does get crowded, but if we have a wet winter the falls will be awesome. I would look at late May as the high country roads will most likely open up by that time, I should be settled in on my choice of cars
SDVette, OMG it is so good to hear from you, I did not think there was anyone left that went on those runs.

Here is a pathetic video of several of the runs I put on. Let's face it the software back in the early 2000's was not the greatest
Grzldvt1 is online now  
Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 AM
  #10  
SDVette
CF Senior Member
 
SDVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 3,998
Received 379 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1 View Post
SDVette, OMG it is so good to hear from you, I did not think there was anyone left that went on those runs.
Still here.. and still have my C5 too!
I inherited my dad's 1-owner '61 when he passed away in 2011.. I've been grinding through the restoration of it.. Finally done. (well - these things are never 'done')
I hang out with Bob Brown (SilFox) down here are well.. He was on several of those early runs. He's got a C6 now plus his '59.

I'll watch for details of this trip.. Maybe it will work out for me to do it again? (it's been long enough!)

Fred

Last edited by SDVette; 09-20-2018 at 10:41 AM.
SDVette is offline  
Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 AM
  #11  
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member
 
Grzldvt1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 4,427
Received 319 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SDVette View Post
Still here.. and still have my C5 too!
I inherited my dad's 1-owner '61 when he passed away in 2011.. I've been grinding through the restoration of it.. Finally done. (well - these things are never 'done')
I hang out with Bob Brown (SilFox) down here are well.. He was on several of those early runs. He's got a C6 now plus his '59.

I'll watch for details of this trip.. Maybe it will work out for me to do it again? (it's been long enough!)

Fred
Sorry to hear of his passing.
I remember Bob also
I will start organizing early April 2019, and we can make sure it works out for you.
Grzldvt1 is online now  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM
  #12  
Mistrezz 06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Mistrezz 06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: Bakersfield CA
Posts: 1,013
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Default

I'm in if the time is right guys...
Mistrezz 06 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Grzldvt1 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:24 PM
  #13  
bob arrowsmith
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Location: diamond bar ca
Posts: 403
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

I am willing, , sounds like alot of fun..
bob arrowsmith is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 02:49 PM
  #14  
bikingles
CF Senior Member
 
bikingles's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: sherman oaks ca
Posts: 135
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I'd definitely be interested if the time is right. Please keep us posted.
bikingles is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 12:38 AM
  #15  
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member
 
Grzldvt1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 4,427
Received 319 Likes on 186 Posts
Default

Will do
Grzldvt1 is online now  
Old 12-04-2018, 09:40 AM
  #16  
s2kpunisher
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Palmdale CA
Posts: 623
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1 View Post
I can lead this, as I put on some epic Yosemite runs many moons ago
Grzldvt1, would it make sense to plan some dates since my club and other clubs would need 3-4 month advance notice since this might be a weekend deal?
s2kpunisher is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 AM
  #17  
Borrego
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

New C7 owner in Carlsbad. just subscribed to this thread. It’s been decades since I’ve been to Yosemite, so if timing works out, I’d love to do this!

best,
Borrego
Borrego is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 PM
  #18  
Axiomiat
CF Senior Member
 
Axiomiat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Northridge CA
Posts: 165
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

This sounds like a blast!
Axiomiat is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM
  #19  
kings1016
CF Senior Member
 
kings1016's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: Orange California
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Axiomiat View Post
This sounds like a blast!
I would definitely be interested in this trip...
kings1016 is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 08:49 PM
  #20  
ULEWZ
CF Senior Member
 
ULEWZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: Northridge CA
Posts: 990
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Might have to schedule a separate trip, that time frame is iffy for me. Wish a pole was taken instead of an edict
ULEWZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yosemite National Park Group Drive?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: