Southern California Southern California

Best windy/twisting route from Newport Beach to Palm Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 PM
SenorApples
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best windy/twisting route from Newport Beach to Palm Springs?

Hey all,

What route would you take for a nice windy drive from Newport Beach to Palm Springs? Looking to make a day out of it.

We did angeles crest last time up through Idyllwild, but don't want to clone this route.

Back country roads are 10000x better than any main freeways / main connectors. (but of course not so off the track that it's a beat down highway, lol)

I just came up with this: https://goo.gl/maps/un7vS3byYzJ2 but I'm not sure how good it is. it doesn't stop in palm desert... google caps at 10 way points. but it would end in palm desert.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:14 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Take PCH all the way down to Dana point. From Dana Point, take Del Obispo street until it turns into Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74). Ortega Hwy will take you to the Lake Elsinore area off the 15 fwy. There a few back roads you can take to meander down (south) to Temecula Parkway, or just jump on the 15 fwy to get off at Temecula pkwy. From there, you'll take Cahuilla road (371) it will reconnect to Hwy 74 up in higher altitude. Stay on Hwy 74 until it drops you down to Hwy 111 in the Palm desert/Rancho Mirage area.

Done that drive many times from San Juan Capistrano when I lived there...always enjoyed that drive.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 AM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, PCH, Ortega Hwy, down to 79, to 371, 74, to 111. Leave early to miss traffic on 74.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM
SenorApples
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Take PCH all the way down to Dana point. From Dana Point, take Del Obispo street until it turns into Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74). Ortega Hwy will take you to the Lake Elsinore area off the 15 fwy. There a few back roads you can take to meander down (south) to Temecula Parkway, or just jump on the 15 fwy to get off at Temecula pkwy. From there, you'll take Cahuilla road (371) it will reconnect to Hwy 74 up in higher altitude. Stay on Hwy 74 until it drops you down to Hwy 111 in the Palm desert/Rancho Mirage area.

Done that drive many times from San Juan Capistrano when I lived there...always enjoyed that drive.

I mapped this out on google maps and it looks awesome. Thanks so much for the info! Going to be driving that with some buds next weekend. Did you ever drive up through the Big Bear Loop?? If so does it make for a good twisty drive as well? Or is Angeles Crest better?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

We've done all those routes at The Block of Orange.

Here's our next one. We usually don't give the route out until you get there.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...of-orange.html

Sparky

Last edited by ufso; 10-12-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:39 AM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SenorApples
I mapped this out on google maps and it looks awesome. Thanks so much for the info! Going to be driving that with some buds next weekend. Did you ever drive up through the Big Bear Loop?? If so does it make for a good twisty drive as well? Or is Angeles Crest better?
The 330 to the 18 is usually pretty busy unless you leave early. The 38 is much less traffic-ey both ways. Angles Crest is fun, but I usually go up Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. Usually you can’t drive the entire road, as the gate is closed about halfway up. You can check by visiting CalTrans road conditions website.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Or do this, they even have classroom instruction.

http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=688

Get notified of new replies

To Best windy/twisting route from Newport Beach to Palm Springs?

Quick Reply: Best windy/twisting route from Newport Beach to Palm Springs?