Southern California Southern California

Z51 DOT 3 to DOT 4 - So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:44 PM
CANEL54
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z51 DOT 3 to DOT 4 - So Cal

Looking for a shop that will be able to change my brake fluid from dot 3 to dot 4, If anyone knows someone. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Any shop that can completely flush your brake fluid can do the job. On the C6, it required use of the scan tool to cycle the ABS and get all the old fluid out of there, I expect the C7 is similar. Flushing without the ABS is better than nothing, but I don't know how much old stuff gets left behind.

We have a local dealer with a very good tech, so I have him do a flush every year when I switch from the winter AS tire to the summer PSS.

There are big variations in the temperature tolerance of DOT4, the problem is that often the higher temps fluids tend to absorb moisture more rapidly which degrades their heat resistance and can eventually promote corrosion inside the brake system.

In the Ask Tadge section, he explains why they specify DOT3 for street use and high temp fluid for the track. Since I do autocross and canyon runs but not hard track use, I go with the once-a-year DOT4 flush.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 08:14 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Any shop that can completely flush your brake fluid can do the job. On the C6, it required use of the scan tool to cycle the ABS and get all the old fluid out of there, I expect the C7 is similar. Flushing without the ABS is better than nothing, but I don't know how much old stuff gets left behind.

We have a local dealer with a very good tech, so I have him do a flush every year when I switch from the winter AS tire to the summer PSS.

There are big variations in the temperature tolerance of DOT4, the problem is that often the higher temps fluids tend to absorb moisture more rapidly which degrades their heat resistance and can eventually promote corrosion inside the brake system.

In the Ask Tadge section, he explains why they specify DOT3 for street use and high temp fluid for the track. Since I do autocross and canyon runs but not hard track use, I go with the once-a-year DOT4 flush.
I completely agree with Jim's comments.

Since I don't track my car, I just like to do spirited driving, I ordered a higher heat tolerance DOT3 : Wilwood's Hi Temp 570 Racing brake fluid for my next brake fluid change. It would have a higher heat tolerance compared to the stock fluid and would not absorb moisture compared to DOT 4 that needs earlier fluid replacement compared to the longer lasting DOT 3. For me I think it would be a middle ground solution between DOT 4 performance and DOT 3 longevity.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:18 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

OP we do brake fluid changes as well as LOTS of other things.

We would recommend Motul DOT4!!!

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/american-he...ce-harbor-city
The following users liked this post:
sallen619 (12-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 DOT 3 to DOT 4 - So Cal

Quick Reply: Z51 DOT 3 to DOT 4 - So Cal