Southern California Southern California

SCCA AutoX: Fontana 11/10/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default SCCA AutoX: Fontana 11/10/18

Tried out SCCA autoX today and it was great. Lots of fast cars and fast drivers. Got 14-15 runs, I lost count and was too tired to run more even if I wanted to. Course was long and challenging. Took most of the day to break 70 seconds which separated the fast drivers from the losers (hahahahaha!!) Anyways here is my best run of 69.30

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 11-10-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

counted up all my time slips and I actually had 15 runs which was awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Randy, I think you were only 1 second faster than my 69.30

What do you think of my video? Any critique??

DH
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

That course looked fun. Let's see what Randy says.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 11-12-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
That course looked fun. Let's see what Randy says.
Tom (forgot his last name), championship driver, sure you know him .......... did the track layout.

DH
Old 11-14-2018, 05:32 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

15 runs on a 70 second course - Wow!
I've wondered how many runs people were getting at the SCCA events.

It looks like you had a good time.

Take Care,
Chris
Old 11-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CA_WxMan
15 runs on a 70 second course - Wow!
I've wondered how many runs people were getting at the SCCA events.

It looks like you had a good time.

Take Care,
Chris
Chris it was great but a lighter turn out. I would not expect that many runs on a normal day. They shoot for 12 ........

DH
Old 11-17-2018, 06:44 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Hard to offer much critique when you did a nice solid quick run! You should be asking Steve! That being said, I know you're looking for some tips, so I'll share one idea that might help you in December: I think you were a little behind/late in the first slalom (which really started with the cones on the left of the gate right before it if you noticed). Backsiding each of those cones and staying early in that thing would have allowed you to get on the gas way before you passed that actual last cone (although that slalom didn't have as big a payoff for that strategy as some do). My slalom mantra is typically: "Backside #1, Backside #2, Backside #3 and back on the gas through #4 and #5!" Steve do you agree?

The rest of the lap looked solid to me.

Glad you got a ton of runs. We'll probably have a lighter turnout again in December, so hopefully lots of laps for everybody!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:29 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
Hard to offer much critique when you did a nice solid quick run! You should be asking Steve! That being said, I know you're looking for some tips, so I'll share one idea that might help you in December: I think you were a little behind/late in the first slalom (which really started with the cones on the left of the gate right before it if you noticed). Backsiding each of those cones and staying early in that thing would have allowed you to get on the gas way before you passed that actual last cone (although that slalom didn't have as big a payoff for that strategy as some do). My slalom mantra is typically: "Backside #1, Backside #2, Backside #3 and back on the gas through #4 and #5!" Steve do you agree?

The rest of the lap looked solid to me.

Glad you got a ton of runs. We'll probably have a lighter turnout again in December, so hopefully lots of laps for everybody!
Randy

Your analysis is spot on. Tom (Champion, don't know last name) rode along with me and asked me at the end if I had paced of the cone separation of the slalom. Of course I did not. I assumed they were always equidistant. He told me it was actually spaced longer towards the end and that I should have entered first one slower and then got faster for last cones. I did try to set up the end of the gate before first cone. Thanks for the help

DH

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA AutoX: Fontana 11/10/18

Quick Reply: SCCA AutoX: Fontana 11/10/18