Southern California Southern California

Powder Coating - California

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:39 PM
diesel1218
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coating - California

can anyone recommend a solid powder coated in Southern California / Orange County?

looking to get my calipers done.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Try Derek at DMP polishing (or Mr Bolt) in Chatsworth, he probably deals with the bestPhone(818) 775-9804
Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New Year Metals in Santa Ana off the 55 fwy http://newyearmetal.net
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Powder coated calipers look great, but I am pretty sure if you put any heat into them they discolor. In talking with Wilwood brake guys they have powder coated calipers, but for the race product they use other metal based coatings.

You are probably OK as long as you don't do a track day.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

You can always just get them straight from TPS Motorsports...freshly coated and rebuilt. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shipping.html

I also used to use Olympic Coatings down in Escondido for powder and ceramic coating jobs.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 01-07-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:35 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Powder coated calipers look great, but I am pretty sure if you put any heat into them they discolor.
Olitho, are you speaking from experience? This doesn't make sense to me, since the PC process requires a high temperature bake. You may be right, but I've never heard this before.

I've had good luck with Performance Powder Coating, at 575 N. Batavia, Orange. 714-532-6806

Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Both of these are in Huntington Beach, and do a great job; Specialized Coating and Primo Coatings.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:37 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Both of these are in Huntington Beach, and do a great job; Specialized Coating and Primo Coatings.

I have used Primo. I am not expert on powder coating, but I was satisfied.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Olitho, are you speaking from experience? This doesn't make sense to me, since the PC process requires a high temperature bake. You may be right, but I've never heard this before.

I have never had powder coated calipers, but I am certain at the temperatures I get my rotors and calipers the PC would get ruin. Hawk for some reason paints their brake pads black. When I replace them the paint flakes off like ash. I think there is a reason I never see AP, Brembo and Wilwood powder coat their calipers. They always have some metal coating or anodizing. Wilwood nickel plates race calipers, but they will powder coat street calipers. So as I presumed before, street use powder coating is probably OK. I doubt street caliper ever get over 300 degrees.

"Frequently Asked Questions about Powder Coating:
Q: What is Powder Coating?
A: The application of charged particles (essentially pulverized plastic) to a grounded surface (typically metal). The parts are then baked to flow out the powder and bond it to the surface.

Q: How Durable is the Powder Coated Finish?
A: The durability of the powder coating finish is determined by the type of powder used, thoroughness of the surface prep and proper cure. The powders we sell offer the best combination of solvent and UV resistance. Powder should only be applied to clear bare metal. Properly prepped and cured, powder will with stand impacts hard enough to dent the surface without chipping the powder. The powder coating finishes Eastwood sells are far more durable than the best liquid coatings.

Q: What are the maximum service temperatures?
A: Powder coated parts should not be subjected to temperatures in excess of 350 degrees F as the coating will be damaged and burned away. Exhaust manifolds and headers can reach over 500 degrees F. Therefore powder coating is not suitable for this application.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/skin/fro...stall_pc-v.pdf

Doing a quick Google, it appears there are high temp resilient powder coatings - https://www.wrightcoating.com/specia...heat-resistant

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coating - California

Quick Reply: Powder Coating - California