Southern California Southern California

Any SoCal people here?

Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 PM
typk33
CF Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any SoCal people here?

Anyone in SoCal here that know their way around a GS zo7? Mechanic messed around with my ccb and cant figure out why I'm getting a brakes worn signal and a God awful squeal every time I brake. I know cars but new to vettes and ccbs. I'd love to meet up with anyone who can give me some insight on her without paying $200 to Chevy just to look at it.
Please and thank you! I'm in west LA but willing to drive to you just to take a look and hear her squeal. I'll buy lunch or some beers!
Thanks!

TK
Old 06-08-2019, 01:37 AM
NONN37
CF Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I dont know what service the guy did, but maybe he damaged a pad sensor? does the squeal go away after lots of driving? I had a mercedes that always squealed at lower speed, it is very annoying but ultra common. do a search on mercedes brake squeal maybe that can help. usually from the pads not properly bedded in with proper milage, sometimes they are not up to temp. or there is overspray from car wash dressings, corrosion from sitting too long, dirty pads etc.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:13 AM
typk33
CF Member

Originally Posted by NONN37 View Post
I dont know what service the guy did, but maybe he damaged a pad sensor? does the squeal go away after lots of driving? I had a mercedes that always squealed at lower speed, it is very annoying but ultra common. do a search on mercedes brake squeal maybe that can help. usually from the pads not properly bedded in with proper milage, sometimes they are not up to temp. or there is overspray from car wash dressings, corrosion from sitting too long, dirty pads etc.
I appreciate the insight. It's been squealing after 500 miles of getting it. We took off everything, sensors looked good. Pads had 40 percent left and rotors are getting close to the end. Even blew compressed air to try to loosen anything that might be causing it. We cant figure out why the "brakes worn" comes on every day or the squeal. It's the craziest thing. Brakes arent covered by warranty so I'm trying to figure this out without Chevy to keep cost down. Just so confused Haha. Heading to the OC cars and coffee tomorrow so hopefully someone can take a look there.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Received 333 Likes on 183 Posts

Rotors shouldn't be near the end of life unless the car has over 100,000 miles. Carbon Ceramic Matrix rotors should last the lifetime of the car and then some unless it's tracked. It takes extreme heat to shorten the life of CCM rotors, like heavy track use in high temperature and heavy braking tracks. Otherwise, those CCM rotors will NEVER need to be replaced.

How are you determining that the rotors are done? They need to be removed off the car and weighed to determine their actual remaining life. A visual inspection means nothing.

EDIT: I'm going to ask a REALLY stupid question here.

In one of your prior posts, you mentioned that you had your mechanic install "new ceramic" brakes. Post the part number(s) for the brake pads. I suspect I know exactly what is wrong, but you won't like the answer.

Last edited by The HACK; 06-10-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:34 PM
typk33
CF Member

So we checked the width of them and they were under 1.4 and Chevy apparently recommends them to be replaced if they go below that. Hes going to weigh them tomorrow. For brake pads they used hawk pads, also the first 9k miles was tracked at the Corvette racing school in Nevada so it has that. The mechanic said the pads do have about 40 percent pad left so I'm guessing they replaced them and then had a thousand or two track miles after the fact.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by typk33 View Post
So we checked the width of them and they were under 1.4 and Chevy apparently recommends them to be replaced if they go below that. Hes going to weigh them tomorrow. For brake pads they used hawk pads, also the first 9k miles was tracked at the Corvette racing school in Nevada so it has that. The mechanic said the pads do have about 40 percent pad left so I'm guessing they replaced them and then had a thousand or two track miles after the fact.
Hawk does not make pads compatible with the CCM rotors. That's why it's squealing like crazy. The ONLY pads you can use with CCM rotors are the factory, AC Delco pads (PN 23316708 for the front, 23198750 for the rear) design specifically to work with the Carbon Ceramic Matrix rotors, or Pagid pad compounds RSC1-3 (these are track pads). Any other pads placed in the calipers will destroy the rotors and make them squeal like crazy.

Your mechanic just cost you well over $4,000 worth of damage on those rotors. Throw the Hawk pads away and make sure they order the right pads for CCM rotors.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 PM
typk33
CF Member

Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Hawk does not make pads compatible with the CCM rotors. That's why it's squealing like crazy. The ONLY pads you can use with CCM rotors are the factory, AC Delco pads (PN 23316708 for the front, 23198750 for the rear) design specifically to work with the Carbon Ceramic Matrix rotors, or Pagid pad compounds RSC1-3 (these are track pads). Any other pads placed in the calipers will destroy the rotors and make them squeal like crazy.

Your mechanic just cost you well over $4,000 worth of damage on those rotors. Throw the Hawk pads away and make sure they order the right pads for CCM rotors.
So I just got off the phone with the driving school and they told me they weighed the rotors and they were above the limit, also when they sold them the pads had 60 percent left on them. Also they only use OEM brembro pads that they get from Chevy. She took my vin and went through the records of it. I told her I've only put 1k miles and dealing with this and shes looking into what they can do to help me out since they were close to being replaced when they sold the car. Pretty nice lady, very happy they are willing to help me out.
I'll keep you updated
Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 PM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Wait, I donít get it.

What pads are on the car right now?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 PM
typk33
CF Member

Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Wait, I donít get it.

What pads are on the car right now?
Someone here told me they use hawks, I called the racing school and they told me they are OEM ccb pads from chevy.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 PM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by typk33 View Post
Someone here told me they use hawks, I called the racing school and they told me they are OEM ccb pads from chevy.
Take a picture of the front caliper with the pads showing and post it here, and Iíll be able to tell you if they did or did not put on the right pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any SoCal people here?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: