Southern California Southern California

Help! Lingenfelter pass CA smog???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 PM
frednino
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Help! Lingenfelter pass CA smog???

Greetings, all, I have a question about passing CA smog. I am interested in a C5 listed by a forum member located in Las Vegas: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

It received the 383 package from Lingenfelter not long after it was first purchased in 1998. I would like to know if anyone has experience or knowledge of a similar vehicle and whether it would pass CA smog. The current owner is unsure, and I don't think I can pursue this vehicle unless I'm pretty sure it will pass CA smog. Thanks for any help! -Fred
Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,007 Likes on 641 Posts

I went through the service record documents and pictures, couldn't see anything that stood out which would specifically cause a fail... there's no mention of emissions components being deleted, no mention of changing out the exhaust (so should still have stock cats), intake looks stock, etc.

Being a 1998 model, in CA it would be subjected to a dyno smog test with tailpipe sniffer (2000+ cars don't need this). If the work done to it has caused higher emissions, then there's a risk it won't pass the sniffer test. Probably would be okay though...

Also should mention, finding smog shops with a functional dyno are getting harder to find. My wife's Jeep is a 1999 and as of 2 years there was only one smog shop with a working dyno in my area (when they break, the shop owners can't justify fixing them due to insufficient pre-2000 business). In fact I'm using this as leverage for replacing my wife's Jeep this summer.
The following users liked this post:
frednino (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 PM
frednino
Advanced

Thanks for the info, MetalMan2, it is very much appreciated! -Fred
Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I would take the car to an Emission Test Station in Nevada and see if it will pass the emissions level test before I buy it. If it won't pass the tail pipe check than don't buy it. Make sure it has all the right system components and no visible aftermarket stuff.
frednino (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 PM
frednino
Advanced

Thanks for the replies; I think I may shift strategies and look for an unmodified, non-Z06, c5 (if from out of state) - then it is almost certain to pass CA smog. After that, I can get it supercharged locally if I want more ooomph and remain street legal.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

This appears to be the motor upgrade in question... https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.XRFD8aJKhaQ

Given the CARB EO# disclaimer all the way at the bottom, and no mention of a CARB EO#...its technically not smog legal. Could it pass the visual, probably....provided all OE manifolds/cats are still in place. Could it pass the sniffer...maybe? To me, it may be the GT11 cam wont pass CA emissions, but it could also just be that LPE didn't want to fork over all the money to CARB that they require to test that engine and give it an EO#. I would want to see an emissions test done with all the values measured and then do some research to see if they fall well under the max allowable limits in CA.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTPZ06:
frednino (06-24-2019), skyavonee (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2
BEst get ahold of lingenfelter they keep records of their builds. Docs are very important...lots of Lingenfelter cars that arent.

A pretest is a fantastic idea, compare to Ca stds, good answer by MTP
frednino (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 PM
frednino
Advanced

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I decided not to pursue the out-of-state lingenfelter (especially since the OP for that listing was not very responsive to questions and requests for pix). Instead, I am obtaining an out-of-state unmodified/stock c5 vert that has always passed smog in Florida. If needed, I can add a supercharger from a local shop (eg, Vortech/West Coast Corvettes kit for $5595) which will pass CA smog. No long tube headers though

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lor-combo.html

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Lingenfelter pass CA smog???

Quick Reply: Help! Lingenfelter pass CA smog???