Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Texans being rounded up for being drunk in a bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
jmautox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texans being rounded up for being drunk in a bar?

First read this article about texans being rounded up for getting drunk IN A BAR

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8169246/detail.html

Then, if this pisses you off, please consider contacting the TABC to lucidly, and politely voice your concerns:

complaints@tabc.state.tx.us
For reporting violations of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code and Rule.

excise.tax@tabc.state.tx.us
For inquiries and questions about who is required to file monthly excise reports or taxes on alcoholic beverages.

opr@tabc.state.tx.us
To report complaints against TABC employees regarding allegations of illegal acts and/or employee misconduct.

poe@tabc.state.tx.us
For inquiries and questions about the personal importation of alcoholic beverages and cigarettes from Mexico into Texas.

questions@tabc.state.tx.us
For general inquiries, comments and questions about the TABC.

seller.training@tabc.state.tx.us
For inquiries and questions regarding programs dealing with the training of employees in the laws of selling and/or serving of alcoholic beverages.

webmaster@tabc.state.tx.us
For computer related problems or comments about the TABC website.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

All they're doing is enforcing the law. If you're drunk in a public place, you face arrest. Problem is a lot of those people leave the bar and drive their car.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
jmautox
Instructor

Originally Posted by sxe60
All they're doing is enforcing the law. If you're drunk in a public place, you face arrest. Problem is a lot of those people leave the bar and drive their car.
So, you agree with this law?

A lot of people who drive corvettes drive 100mph and run over kids too.

Would it be appropriate to make a legal horsepower limit of 150mph? Or round up corvette drivers and lock them up for a few days to keep them in line?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jmautox
So, you agree with this law?

A lot of people who drive corvettes drive 100mph and run over kids too.

Would it be appropriate to make a legal horsepower limit of 150mph? Or round up corvette drivers and lock them up for a few days to keep them in line?

The law is the law and whether I agree with it isn't relevant, just as your comparison to Corvette drivers isn'r either. Besides, this isn't the Forum for such discussion, it should be in OT.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:55 PM
ST31
Drifting

I have to agree that this part was excessive by far.

At one location, for example, agents and police arrested patrons of a hotel bar. Some of the suspects said they were registered at the hotel and had no intention of driving. Arresting authorities said the patrons were a danger to themselves and others.

Yeah, help I've fallen and can't get up,

Last edited by ST31; 03-22-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:01 PM
tjcleary
Pro

well it is happening in Texas...and this is a forum for texas.

I do not agree with this! if i go out and bring a designated driver then i should be able to drink freely. they even arrested people that were at a hotel bar where they were staying.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
bootleg
Melting Slicks

Rediculous in my opinion, but I never get in a situation where I can't drive home if I drive and always offer a ride to a friend that has.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:07 PM
jmautox
Instructor

[QUOTE=sxe60]The law is the law and whether I agree with it isn't relevant [QUOTE]

Well it is up to us citizens to have laws changed if we don't like them, and as this was a Texas incident it seemed topical, but moderators please move it if you disagree.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:16 PM
ccs96
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Default Imagine

drinking in a bar! Let's see, I think two drinks just might get you over the legal limit, 3 for sure (if you've got a good bartender).

I would venture to say the TABC & local police went over the line. I would also think some good attorneys could get this thrown out of court if the people arrested want to spend the $$$. Problem is, it always costs money when you go to court. I don't see this action by the police as a positive thing. Just because someone is sitting in a bar drinking doesn't mean he/she is a danger to anyone; follow them out, if they get behind the wheel, nail them there and give them a sobriety test at that point. Not in the bar.

The whole thing was...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

My question is, why did they start enforcing this law and creating the situation in the first place? What's really behind it?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is, why did they start enforcing this law and creating the situation in the first place? What's really behind it?
TABC has received numerous donations from many groups from around the state (including MADD) to help curtail drunk driving. I am a regional manager for several bars here in texas and they have been visiting much more frequently to our clubs. They are looking for 2 things. 1. Intoxicated persons bieng served alcohol 2. Minors consuming and bieng served alcohol.

In the state of texas it is against the law to serve alchohol to intoxicated persons, and it is also against the law to be in a public place while intoxicated.

Now, in a hotel bar while registered as a guest is a little over the top!

Many nightclubs are very guilty of completely overserving people and letting them get in a car and go home. We try to do everything we can to keep them from driving if we have made that mistake and overserved someone. Many places dont follow this.

If all places would try and stop the people from driving, this would be less of an issue, but so many places are just in COMPLETE non-compliance.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:19 PM
ST31
Drifting

Maybe this will help understand why it started in Irving.

MADD National Office
511 E. John Carpenter Frwy. Suite 700
Irving, TX 75062
Old 03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Why would the bar not be private property? If you had a wreck in the parking lot they would most likely tell you that it is on private property and not show up. If they were looking for Drunk drivers then all they need to do is just sit outside and pull people over. Going into the bar is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

A bar is not private property. We pay every year to have a permit to sell alcoholic beverages on premise, and by signing to get that license, the TABC can and will come into the bar and do periodic checks, which includes, but not limited to: Minors Sting operations (a minor is sent in by tabc to see if they get served) , Intoxicated guests, Improperly purchased alcohol, liquor bottles having proper stamps, Proper ID procedures in place, proper signage, etc. They can and do write citations to (and take to jail) guests, bartenders, waitresses and managers, and they have every right to do so. Most establishments now make it policy that everyone be TABC certified on the staff, which makes the establishment less liable, due to the fact that we require them to take the class and we also train them that it is not our policy or our intent to serve alcohol to minors or intoxicated person. There is much more that goes into running a bar than just serving drinks, including civil responsiblility.

Daren
Old 03-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 06C6FVR
TABC has received numerous donations from many groups from around the state (including MADD) to help curtail drunk driving. I am a regional manager for several bars here in texas and they have been visiting much more frequently to our clubs. They are looking for 2 things. 1. Intoxicated persons bieng served alcohol 2. Minors consuming and bieng served alcohol.

In the state of texas it is against the law to serve alchohol to intoxicated persons, and it is also against the law to be in a public place while intoxicated.

Now, in a hotel bar while registered as a guest is a little over the top!

Many nightclubs are very guilty of completely overserving people and letting them get in a car and go home. We try to do everything we can to keep them from driving if we have made that mistake and overserved someone. Many places dont follow this.

If all places would try and stop the people from driving, this would be less of an issue, but so many places are just in COMPLETE non-compliance.
It's Very Unfortunate... But this is true... I'm a Divisional Manager for Burch Management (Gentlemens Clubs, Sports Bars, Country Bars) It's especially heightened if you have a S.O.B. and a T.A.B.C. Liquor sales permit at the same entity... and I deal with this almost daily at our clubs/bars... Problem is we pay the highest taxes in the state, and I represent the #1 liquor sales (by volume) establishment in the state of Texas... The reason Texas doesn't have a state income tax is because of the liquor tax we pay... It really sux when they harass us, but it comes with the territory...
Jeremy
Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Public Intoxication is real and functioning in Texas. If you aggravate a TABC officer you will go to jail on a PI charge. Some of our TABC Officers consider you intoxicated if they don't like the way you look or the way you dress.

Hard to fight in Court where the intoxication charge is an opinion (no breath or blood test required) of the Officer. Got a good (read expensive) lawyer? You might get off. No expensive Lawyer? Plead no contest and pay your fine.

BTW, a PI charge keeps you from getting a Concealed Carry Permit. No drunk in Texas with a PI charge is going to legally carry a gun.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I can see the TABC, but the local Police? Can not get them to come to a wreck in a parking lot, but they have time to go to bars and arrest people for having a drink? What is next going to the liquor store and getting you when you buy a bottle?

Get notified of new replies

To Texans being rounded up for being drunk in a bar?

Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 PM
JurisAg02
Advanced

TABC...what a joke
Old 03-23-2006, 04:32 AM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JurisAg02
TABC...what a joke

Unfortunately, if you are in this business (bars) they are no joke. They are dead serious and take thier job that way. One TABC officer on your bad side, you might as well kiss your place goodbye!!....They can shut you down in a heartbeat if they want.

Daren
Old 03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The law is the law and whether I agree with it isn't relevant, .....

Agree

Besides, this isn't the Forum for such discussion, it should be in OT.
Agree

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Texans being rounded up for being drunk in a bar?