Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Trustworthy C5 service in Austin? Tranny/Brake work

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:53 PM
RedWuken
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trustworthy C5 service in Austin? Tranny/Brake work

I got my recently purchased 02 Z06 checked out at Christian Bros and they said I need new transmission seals. Also I need new front and rear brake pads So without posting how much they quoted me at, are there any shops in Austin good with C5s that could do this for a decent price? It's over $1,000 so I think I'm gonna ask around before I get the work done(and I've got to wait to get my tax return)

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by RedWuken
I got my recently purchased 02 Z06 checked out at Christian Bros and they said I need new transmission seals. Also I need new front and rear brake pads So without posting how much they quoted me at, are there any shops in Austin good with C5s that could do this for a decent price? It's over $1,000 so I think I'm gonna ask around before I get the work done(and I've got to wait to get my tax return)

Thanks,
Ryan
Hey Ryan,
local shops that I know of who work on Corvettes are Austin Corvette on N. Lamar, Corvette Country on N. Mopac, and American Racing Technology (ART) in Buda. There is also Henderson Performance Technology (HRT) down in New Braunfels. I've had work done at ART and HRT with good results.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Way2Slow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Performance Motorsports at 620/anderson mill rd. They build/work on Corvettes and are very good at it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Nvts
Instructor

I'm a big fan of Austin Corvette on N. Lamar. Gary knows his stuff.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
RedWuken
Racer

By any chance would this be something even remotely possible to do non-pro? I just realized they want $993.60 just for labor!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Boob
Pro

Which transmission seal did they say was shot? I'd have to see the car in person, but I work on C5s quite a bit.

The brake pads are nothing. Doesn't take very long to do at all. The transmission is more labor intensive, but if it's the rear seal where the tranny meets the diff, then it's less work than if it's the front seal. Is it an auto or 6 speed?

I'm willing to do the work. Could always use more mod money.

Edit: They said you needed a front seal? Are they talking about the timing cover seal? For that you'll have to remove the steering rack. That can be quite a pain and you've got to take precautions not to turn the wheel while it's out.

Last edited by Boob; 02-17-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
RedWuken
Racer

Manual tranny. Estimate paper says
REMOVE AND RESEAL TRANSMISSION CASE HALF AND REPLACE OUTER AND INNER INPUT SE
Parts are Sealer for 31.26, Seal for 51.30, Seal for 25.66, and ATF for 18.75

He also mentioned something about another seal that's $75 I think. I had the flu that week so it's hard to remember.

For the brakes it really bothers me because I'de prefer to buy aftermarket pads and fluid that is tried and trusted.. I'm assuming this shop is just using GM replacement parts. Needs replacement of all 4 pads, resurfacing rotors, and lubrication of caliper slides.

Oh and I need a new AC belt it's cracked and they didn't notice my oil pressure is through the roof. I've read up on it and my sensor is broken. Another $40 or so yippy!

Last edited by RedWuken; 02-17-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 AM
RedWuken
Racer

Originally Posted by Boob
Edit: They said you needed a front seal? Are they talking about the timing cover seal? For that you'll have to remove the steering rack. That can be quite a pain and you've got to take precautions not to turn the wheel while it's out.
Hmm maybe that's why it's so expensive. The guy there worked for GM putting superchargers in and such I believe so he def knows his stuff.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
dustinztx
Instructor

My understanding is Corvette Country is closing its doors; the service center has already done so. Austin Corvettes would be your next best thing local, and then you are looking at ART or HPT. It is my understanding that Don the head mechanic for Corvette Country went a performance shop out in the Marble Falls area I will see if I can find out the name.

If it was me I would do the brakes and belts myself which is a pretty simple task if you have the time and the tools. I suspect if you ask around some local forum members would be willing to help, heck you may find someone who can even do the trans seals.

DZ

Last edited by dustinztx; 02-18-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks,
Ryan
Just do the brakes yourself. All it takes is one jack + some time / patience.

You'll have to drop the entire driveline to get at the transmission. I was quoted ~$1200 to do a clutch install with LT headers which involves pretty much the same thing minus the clutch install.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Boob
Pro

I can do all of that work in my garage in Nort Austin out by Lake Travis but I'd like to take a look at the car first. I trust Christian Brothers to make a good assessment but it never hurts to double check.

I have all the GM serive dept stuff on my laptop so I've got the same set of directions their techs have. Of course it'd probably take me a day or two if it's on the weeknights or possibly a full day on the weekend.

On the brakes, you *can* surface the rotors, but when they're as cheap as they are, I see no reason. I suggest going with napa blanks.

PM me if you'd like to ask any questions or bring the car by.

If you want a shop to do it I suggest Henderson performance.

Edit: Will ART even take vettes in anymore or have they gone viper specific? Sucks to hear about corvette country.

Last edited by Boob; 02-18-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I've got some brand new pads. They are still sealed from the factory. I bought them as a package deal with drilled/slotted rotors. When I put the rotors on, I found the previous owner had replaced the pads and they were almost brand new. I can make you a good deal on the new ones. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
RedWuken
Racer

Austin Corvette sounds like it's the #1 choice. I'll take it over there once I get my tax return and get that taken care of.

Also seems like I can get new front slotted rotors and 4 Hawk performance ceramics and install them myself for less than this shop would charge to just install 4 new replacement pads.

How about that AC belt? Should I mess with that myself or just get it taken care of at a shop?

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Austin Corvette sounds like it's the #1 choice. I'll take it over there once I get my tax return and get that taken care of.

Also seems like I can get new front slotted rotors and 4 Hawk performance ceramics and install them myself for less than this shop would charge to just install 4 new replacement pads.

How about that AC belt? Should I mess with that myself or just get it taken care of at a shop?

Thanks,
-Ryan
You'll probably need to lift the front of the car up quite a bit to get under it for the belt replacement. If you're ok with that I'd say just do it yourself.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boob
Edit: Will ART even take vettes in anymore or have they gone viper specific? Sucks to hear about corvette country.
ART still lists the C5 on their website for parts / installs. I dunno if they do regular maintenance things such as this though. I saw someone here had their clutch replaced in a C5 there last year.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine had a bad experience with ART involving his TA but this was a few years ago. I am still hurting from the poking Henderson gave me though. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Boob
Pro

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
A friend of mine had a bad experience with ART involving his TA but this was a few years ago. I am still hurting from the poking Henderson gave me though. Good luck with your search!

I've fixed a few vehicles that came out of ART with problems. This was a long time ago when they were just starting though. Matter of fact I helped the owners set up a lot of the stuff while the facility was being built before cars came in. I think my motor was the very first install in that building. From what I know they do mostly vipers now. They're good folks, just had a bad run of luck for a brief period.

On the AC belt, you can get that yourself. If not bring it by and I'll swap it on for you.

Let us know how the experinece with Austin Corvettes goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Trustworthy C5 service in Austin? Tranny/Brake work

Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Can you do clutch installs/swaps Boob?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Boob
Pro

Yea, it's not that hard. I'd say only slightly harder than an f-body. I do all work in my apartment garage. As long as you get the car high enough and support it in the front well it's really just textbook wrenching (when you pull the tranny diff and tt out it tends to get light in the back)

I can't tell y'all how many specialty tools I've bought just for working on C5s.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Loco
Advanced

Yeah had similar pokings from Henderson also. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Trustworthy C5 service in Austin? Tranny/Brake work