Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Upcoming Events and Regional Discussion > Southwest
Reload this Page >

If I live in CA but buy a vehicle in Nevada, what sales tax do i pay?

Notices
Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

If I live in CA but buy a vehicle in Nevada, what sales tax do i pay?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
VetteFish
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I live in CA but buy a vehicle in Nevada, what sales tax do i pay?

I'm looking to purchase a vehicle possibly this week and it is located in Vegas.

However, I reside in southern california. So i will be going out there, purchasing the vehicle, and driving it back to california.

Would I be paying CA sales tax on the vehicle? NV sales tax? or what.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteFish View Post
I'm looking to purchase a vehicle possibly this week and it is located in Vegas.

However, I reside in southern california. So i will be going out there, purchasing the vehicle, and driving it back to california.

Would I be paying CA sales tax on the vehicle? NV sales tax? or what.

The NV dealer is supposed to charge you whatever tax you pay in your county of CA.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 AM
VetteFish
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZR1 View Post
The NV dealer is supposed to charge you whatever tax you pay in your county of CA.
it is a private party through a broker
Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 AM
93RubyZ
CF Senior Member

Then you'll pay it when you register the car in CA (You pay CA sales tax).
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 AM
VetteFish
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93RubyZ View Post
Then you'll pay it when you register the car in CA (You pay CA sales tax).
thats what i thought. thank you
Old 06-05-2009, 07:35 AM
BobJ
CF Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guarantee you, CA is gonna get their money!! I paid sales tax on a new truck in AZ, shipped it to CA with a 30-day drive away registration and the SOB's charged me again, $3200!!

My guy in CA didn't know so he paid it. That was over three years ago, after repeated attempts to correct CA still has my money.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
VettePower
CF Senior Member

When you bring a car into California from another state, what if any problems do you have registering it without California's famous polution devices installed?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
jerboa
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by VettePower View Post
When you bring a car into California from another state, what if any problems do you have registering it without California's famous polution devices installed?
Corvettes are 50 state legal so no problem to bring to CA. Check before you buy as it can be a lot of grief to import a non-CA car.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 PM
BobJ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jerboa View Post
Corvettes are 50 state legal so no problem to bring to CA. Check before you buy as it can be a lot of grief to import a non-CA car.
And if the car is over a year old or has over 12,000 miles different rules apply I think??
Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 PM
VetteFish
CF Senior Member

what i'm trying to figure out is if i register the car in say florida or oregon, with no sales tax. and then bring the car to california, how can they charge me sales tax twice?

especially if its a private party sale on a used car
Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
c6 batmobile
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what i'm trying to figure out is if i register the car in say florida or oregon, with no sales tax. and then bring the car to california, how can they charge me sales tax twice?

especially if its a private party sale on a used car
If you register it out of state you are free and clear. You may not be able to though unless you are a legal resident of that state. Military does this all the time. I just change my legal residence to oregon and then I dont pay the tax or higher registration on my vehicles.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
VetteFish
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
If you register it out of state you are free and clear. You may not be able to though unless you are a legal resident of that state. Military does this all the time. I just change my legal residence to oregon and then I dont pay the tax or higher registration on my vehicles.
well i would give the address of a family member or friend.

i just want to know if i'm free and clear from CA sales tax if i register it elsewhere
Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM
BobJ
CF Senior Member

well i would give the address of a family member or friend.

i just want to know if i'm free and clear from CA sales tax if i register it elsewhere

If the car is registered in another state you better have that State's DL and residence or the LEO will more than likely give it to you dry!!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM
VetteFish
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
If the car is registered in another state you better have that State's DL and residence or the LEO will more than likely give it to you dry!!
thats what i'm afraid of. my father has a hawaiian DL and we have a house there for residence. hawaii has no sales tax so that might be a possibility but i'm still a little afraid

i wouldn't even go through the trouble but basically it would save me ~4 grand in taxes which would help out a lot. so im trying to see what i can do
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 PM
93RubyZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
I guarantee you, CA is gonna get their money!!

Unless you can prove you are an out-of-state resident relocating to CA, you will pay CA sales tax. CA is in a world of hurt money-wise and they will get their due.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 PM
c6 batmobile
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i'm afraid of. my father has a hawaiian DL and we have a house there for residence. hawaii has no sales tax so that might be a possibility but i'm still a little afraid

i wouldn't even go through the trouble but basically it would save me ~4 grand in taxes which would help out a lot. so im trying to see what i can do
Well thats what I would change my dl to. Its no big deal really. You only need it to buy beer and write a check. The latter I never do so what difference does having an out of state license make. Ive had an out of state one for 3 years but Im in the military ( it still shouldnt make a difference for you) and you may even be able to keep your in state one as well even though your not supposed to have 2. If it would save me 4 grand you better believe I would be doing this.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:26 PM
ju1244

I just googled this to figure out if there was a get around for paying CA sales tax and I'm just mad at myself because I know all of the answers already. There is no get around. CA will make you pay when you register. The only options are a) keep the car registered in another state which has its complications, all of which I know well! b)remember you pay based on what the bill of sale represents. In the 80's we all had cars tagged in Colorado but that is obviously over too.

WHY DO WE PUT UP WITH THIS? Schwarzenegger's first task was to abolish this but it's back (obviously). WE ALL NEED CARS so why don't we realise a vote for a democrat governor is a $4K personal tax on us? I'm not making a partisan stand but why would we agree to this from either party?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If I live in CA but buy a vehicle in Nevada, what sales tax do i pay?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: