Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

North Dallas...need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default North Dallas...need your help!

Hey everybody! So my dumb@ss let cartoys in McKinney install my h/u and the next day I blew my bose speakers...I know, thats what I get for letting cartoys do anything, but i've been wanting to upgrade anyways!! I am looking for some recomendations for a quality stereo install shop...one that know what's going on! I am located in the McKinney area and would like to keep it within a reasonable drive to have this done. I would rather have someone help me install my system so that I can learn something new! if anyone would be interested in helping me with an install...I can come to you and I can pay

I am in the process of buying what I need now...I already have a 10" sub w/an amp for it. I just need to build a box. I am going to buy my door speakers in the next few weeks.

Does anyone know where I can find the template for the door speaker mounts...I know there are vendors that sell these, but I have the tools to build one myself.

pm me if you want to work out me coming over and doing an install, or please reply with a reputable install shop.

Thanks for you help guys! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

If you decide to stick with the stock bose ones, I've got a set local I'll sell you.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtkeller
If you decide to stick with the stock bose ones, I've got a set local I'll sell you.
No thanks jtkeller...I wasn't very happy w/bose to begin with
Old 12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

See Joe Parker at Earmark in Addison on Beltline rd they took good care of my 77'! They are the Best at custom hi end installs!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cgilbert23

I am in the process of buying what I need now...I already have a 10" sub w/an amp for it. I just need to build a box. I am going to buy my door speakers in the next few weeks.

Does anyone know where I can find the template for the door speaker mounts...I know there are vendors that sell these, but I have the tools to build one myself.
Here is a sub box design that I did on AutoCAD and converted to PDF:

http://www.fasthotrod.mypldi.net/images/vettebox.pdf

You can massage the dimensions a little bit to fit your application. I modified my original design by cutting out a section along the top of the back piece and adding a small piece of MDF to clear the sub. By doing that, I was able to install a Polk Audio MOMO 12" DVC sub in that box with the magnet boot removed.

Finished product, minus a speaker grill.

I have the door templates, but they are in AutoCAD *.dwg format. I drew them up so that they could be manufactured and sold here on the forum.

The black material on the doors is called Ensolite, and is sold by Rick McCallum at RAAMaudio.com Ensolite is used to help seal the door, and I noticed a big difference once it was installed. (Lower noise levels, tighter bass.)

Rick is a fellow Corvette owner, and you can find him in the Audio section quite a bit. Rick is an outstanding person and great to do business with.

As for the speaker plates, we ended up moving the driver and tweeter positions lower than is shown in that picture because the tweeter has the tendency of being cut off by the door panel, as shown:

I solved that by mounting my tweeters lower in the door panel and angled up towards the rear roof latch:

The templates are big, and require a printer that can print on 11X17 paper to make them fit. If you have the skills to make them, then you can certainly trace around the Bose plastic piece to get the right fit.

Once you yank the Bose speakers, you can make a new panel easily enough... just make sure to use a good material and/or seal it properly. (MDF can swell and fall apart if exposed to wet conditions and not sealed properly.)

Make sure to use material no more than 1/2" thick for the speaker mounting panels, or you may run into problems with it hitting the door panel on the drivers side. (Window switch area, if memory serves.) If you want to re-use the original mounting bolts/hardware, then you need to use a stiff material 1/4' thick, or countersink the screws. Longer screws is an easy fix.

There is a lot of info over in the Audio and Electronics area, and you'll probably get more 'bites' on this topic there.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited by Fasthotrod; 12-21-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Thanks for your help Mark!!

What did you use instead of mdf? That's what I planned on using, but if there is a better alternative I am deinfatley interested! I alos sent you a PM
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
fade94
Racer

Just a quick hello from McKinney
I work in McKinney and live in Melissa.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 AM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by fade94
Just a quick hello from McKinney
I work in McKinney and live in Melissa.
I work in Melissa and live in Princeton

You gotta love driving the vette in small towns huh? I always get the strangest look from people going to and from work...almost like what the h*ll is this guy doing in this area driving that car haha.

Wanna help me do an install?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Let me know what you end of choosing. I have been wanting to do the same for years and would love to hear the outcome...
Old 12-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VerTigo456
Let me know what you end of choosing. I have been wanting to do the same for years and would love to hear the outcome...
Same here
Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stars_Fan
Same here
Will do guys...I leave for Vegas on the 10th. When I get back, the upgrade begins
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
froman
Racer

dude, if u have the monies you should do a din 2 carputer!!! I can help you with the install. The PAC interface you had was all sorts of fuggled up. Do a carputer with amp!!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by froman
dude, if u have the monies you should do a din 2 carputer!!! I can help you with the install. The PAC interface you had was all sorts of fuggled up. Do a carputer with amp!!!!!
I don't need a carputer...just some upgraded audio! Yeah, the dumb **** that sold me the PAC interface conveniantly forgot to mention that he cut the GM harness off I took it to cartoys and they attempted to rig it up...I blew my Bose the next day! I am in the process of building a sub-box and the frames for the door speakers...I am just clueless when it comes to installation. I already have my h/u installed. Think we could do it in one day?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 PM
AnotherPewterVette
Advanced

Why do u blame and rag on cartoys for blowing ur bose? You turned it up didnt you? lol i have some stuff for sale if interested. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/1532870571.html
Old 01-02-2010, 05:03 PM
froman
Racer

yeah if u come over, speaker isntallation is easy as pie. You gonna do an afermarket amp to power them or use the outputs on the h/u?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Good to know about cartoys as I am also in Mckinney.. :o
Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Good to know about cartoys as I am also in Mckinney.. :o
I should clarify my previous comment about cartoys....They're ability to install a stereo is not what I was bashing on. They're knowledge of anything Bose is what the problem is!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by froman
yeah if u come over, speaker isntallation is easy as pie. You gonna do an afermarket amp to power them or use the outputs on the h/u?
I'm still on the fence about what to do at this point....I see it as having 2 options, 1. I could replace the blose twiddlers that I blew, with something better and put my factory hu back in and be done with it for less than $100. Or if I go the complete replacement route, its gonna cost some money! I already have a 10" sub and an amp to power it, as well the plans to build a stealth box. I also have the door panel cut-out for complete replacement of all door speakers, but thats where it gets pricey. I don't wanna skimp on this if I decide to do it and thought about just going with option 1 until I can get a good fund built up and do it right...We'll see and I will letcha know. lol hopefully I win some money in Vegas!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
1badassZ
Racer

Originally Posted by cgilbert23
I'm still on the fence about what to do at this point....I see it as having 2 options, 1. I could replace the blose twiddlers that I blew, with something better and put my factory hu back in and be done with it for less than $100. Or if I go the complete replacement route, its gonna cost some money! I already have a 10" sub and an amp to power it, as well the plans to build a stealth box. I also have the door panel cut-out for complete replacement of all door speakers, but thats where it gets pricey. I don't wanna skimp on this if I decide to do it and thought about just going with option 1 until I can get a good fund built up and do it right...We'll see and I will letcha know. lol hopefully I win some money in Vegas!!
I've gotta a buddy I work with that used to be fabricator\installer for Earmark. He wouldn't charge much to do all your installs and probably teach you a thing or two. He's in The Colony. LMK if you want his contact info.

Get notified of new replies

To North Dallas...need your help!

Quick Reply: North Dallas...need your help!