Texas members: buying used Vette out of state

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Texas members: buying used Vette out of state

My family and I are pretty new to the Houston area and I am preparing to add a Z06 to the garage soon. I have been searching the DMV's website trying to figure out what I need to do to purchase a Vette out of state and then bring it here. If anyone on here has done this, I wouldn't mind exchanging a few PM's or e-mails with you. I am preparing for this as I very much want to a get a LMB Z06 and there are only sooo many of them out there.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
mr. creosote
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm no expert on this, but as I recall I just took my purchase paperwork (I believe there's a title transfer form from the DMV you can get on-line http://www.txdmv.gov/index.htm) and insurance to an office of the County Tax Assessor's Office, paid the registration and sales tax, and received the new Texas plates for it. Oh, it needs to have a current inspection too - I had to go back for that.

Once you have the car, or earlier for that matter, if you'd like to meet with other vette owners in the NW Houston area (NW Houston Vette-Rods) you can stop by Starbuck's at Spring Cypress & Champions Forest on Sunday mornings. http://www.nwhoustonvette-rods.com/index.html
Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just bought mine out of state about 3 months ago. You'll need the following.

Title (signed)

Bill of sale (signed)

You'll have to get it inspected (the inspection is in addition to the state inspection and was about $20) my local dealer did it for me no problem. When its done you'll get a form from the dealer that you'll have to give to the tax office.

Proof that the title is clear ie the car is paid for. (I had one but don't remember if the tax office asked for it). Mine was a letter from GMAC to the previous owner.

There's a $60 title transfer fee.

6.25% sales tax on the purchase price. (mines an 04 and they will charge you for at least 24K based on there 'little black book' so there isn't alot of fug factor anymore)

Then you'll have to have proof of insurance and pay for your registration.

All totaled it cost me about $1850.00 for taxes, registration and transfer fees. Not bad considering taxes were around $1650.00.

Have all your stuff together before you go to the tax office and it will be much easier. I know it sounds like a lot but it's no that bad. PM me if you need any help.

Oh and the title transfer form mentioned above. You can print it off the DMV web site and it will have to be filled out by the buyer and seller.

Last edited by Vette_Minded; 02-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Thank you for the help. I found the forms you mentioned on-line. I was wondering about the tax amount and was told that the DMV does use their own source to figure value even if you have a signed purchase agreement. Not really a big deal, just thought it was a little funny...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Thank you for the help. I found the forms you mentioned on-line. I was wondering about the tax amount and was told that the DMV does use their own source to figure value even if you have a signed purchase agreement. Not really a big deal, just thought it was a little funny...
I had to get one inspected that came from out of state in Jan, all above info is correct. One thing to insure is when they inspect it they write it up on whats called a green sheet (Their no longer green) but used for OS cars being inspected for the first time, my dealer charge $1more to use that form. I think that is still a requirement at least that's what I had to do in January, good luck with your purchase and have fun in the Z
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
MisterC
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine from a gentleman in Florida. I had to pay sales tax in Florida, but the gave me a receipt which kept me from needing to pay sales tax in Texas when I got home with it.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
TexasC6
Racer

helpful title transfer info....

http://www.dmv.tx.gov/protection/protect_title.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

for me I bought an old GTO out of Indiana and I needed Inspection, title and proof of insurance. They didn't ask me for a bill of sells, just that the title was signed.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
The State got burned many years ago on people filling out the Title Application form saying they bought a recently made vehicle for a ridiculously low price.

Separately, part of the vehicle inspection done would include an emissions test, too. So, it'll need to pass that, too.

Glad you got to Texas as soon as you could.

oz
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ounce
The State got burned many years ago on people filling out the Title Application form saying they bought a recently made vehicle for a ridiculously low price.

Separately, part of the vehicle inspection done would include an emissions test, too. So, it'll need to pass that, too.

Glad you got to Texas as soon as you could.

oz
Yes, when I bought my 1996 Corvette in 1998 from a private party, the state used the "honor" system to declare the purchase price. I don't have to say what I said I paid for it............
Old 02-21-2010, 09:53 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by MisterC
I bought mine from a gentleman in Florida. I had to pay sales tax in Florida, but the gave me a receipt which kept me from needing to pay sales tax in Texas when I got home with it.
When you made this purchase, did you have to get some sort of "official" form and signature to verify you had paid the tax? It appears there are several states in which this is the same case. I was worried that it would end up being a double tax issue, but your situation is good news.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas members: buying used Vette out of state

Quick Reply: Texas members: buying used Vette out of state