Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back home.

A VW Golf R will be joining us on the cruise as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Welcome back.

I feel a bit unprepared for this event. Running around like a madman trying to get stuff done and prepped. What a nightmare....It took 5 hours to find a shop cpable of lifting the vette for an oil change, and then another 3 hours trying to find a competent place wiling to do a collant flush. What a waste of time.

So, in all my adventures, I only got my oil changed to 0w40, coolant flushed, and AC recharged. I still don't feel as prepared without bleeding the brakes and clutch fluid.....two critical areas.

I also forgot to print off that $40.00 first time certificate, so if any one who is going has the ability to print at home, it would be appreciated if you can print a sheet or two to cover down.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 AM
hxrly
Racer

I got you, printed out certificates already.

It didn't go as plan on my end neither. I started working at a good pace and got the original headers and pipes out by noon, but then I struggled for over 6 hours to install the new headers. I read every possible installation page and every angle from above and below the car and no luck. So then I struggled for 2 hours on the "easy" side, and still would not go in. I have a strong suspicion these headers are for another car, still waiting to hear back from the vendor.

So at 8pm I decided the hell with it and put the stock exhaust back on. What a pain, I was exhausted and in bad mood. So now is midnight and car is back together, but I didn't have time to flush my brakes, install the intake, or finish the headers. The car is filthy but no point in wiping it down.

I'll see you 6:45 am.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 AM
t100driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Welcome back.

I feel a bit unprepared for this event. Running around like a madman trying to get stuff done and prepped. What a nightmare....It took 5 hours to find a shop cpable of lifting the vette for an oil change, and then another 3 hours trying to find a competent place wiling to do a collant flush. What a waste of time.

So, in all my adventures, I only got my oil changed to 0w40, coolant flushed, and AC recharged. I still don't feel as prepared without bleeding the brakes and clutch fluid.....two critical areas.

I also forgot to print off that $40.00 first time certificate, so if any one who is going has the ability to print at home, it would be appreciated if you can print a sheet or two to cover down.
Wicked there is a place on viscount and Hawkins can't think of the name right now. They have ramps to go over the guards for the pit that's where I get my oil changed at.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 AM
t100driver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hxrly
I got you, printed out certificates already.

It didn't go as plan on my end neither. I started working at a good pace and got the original headers and pipes out by noon, but then I struggled for over 6 hours to install the new headers. I read every possible installation page and every angle from above and below the car and no luck. So then I struggled for 2 hours on the "easy" side, and still would not go in. I have a strong suspicion these headers are for another car, still waiting to hear back from the vendor.

So at 8pm I decided the hell with it and put the stock exhaust back on. What a pain, I was exhausted and in bad mood. So now is midnight and car is back together, but I didn't have time to flush my brakes, install the intake, or finish the headers. The car is filthy but no point in wiping it down.

I'll see you 6:45 am.
That makes me a little uneasy since I just got my headers in too. I scored a used set of American racing headers on the bay. Gonna try to install them sometime this coming week.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by t100driver
That makes me a little uneasy since I just got my headers in too. I scored a used set of American racing headers on the bay. Gonna try to install them sometime this coming week.
Those are the easiest to install from what I've read, you should have no issues. Getting the stock system out was fairly easy, I did it by myself in 3 hours in the garage with jack-stands and taking my time.

ASR had a great turnout today, but the wind kicked up before lunch and we called it a day early. The z06 behaved admirably, once again, but now my tires are definitely due for replacement. The next superlap will be on April 27, but if the tires I want don't get released before then, I will probably be there in the Miata.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

It was great to meet everyone. (Harley, Nadine, Paul, Tim, John, and a few others.) Yeah, the wind sucked!! But didn't make a difference in my times. (The wind probably made my laps better). The best part of my day was meeting everyone out at ASR, ripping off my front air dam in turn 6, rolling 5 hot laps with HXRLY, and eating hot dogs with Paul inside his 40 foot 2-car mobile home. Great times.

After reviewing today's anomoly's, I realize there is nothing wrong with high winds and a stock brake system. It's me! I suck at racing!! Best time of the day was a shattering 1:13. And then there was me.....A cool scenic drive enjoying the sunshine at 1:33. Ahhhh, life in the slow lane. Oh well. At least I didn't plow off into the desert!!

A special shout out to PAUL who purchased his black 2006 C6Z06 just 3 months ago. Hurry up Paul and become a forum member.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
It was great to meet everyone. (Harley, Nadine, Paul, Tim, John, and a few others.) Yeah, the wind sucked!! But didn't make a difference in my times. (The wind probably made my laps better). The best part of my day was meeting everyone out at ASR, ripping off my front air dam in turn 6, rolling 5 hot laps with HXRLY, and eating hot dogs with Paul inside his 40 foot 2-car mobile home. Great times.

After reviewing today's anomoly's, I realize there is nothing wrong with high winds and a stock brake system. It's me! I suck at racing!! Best time of the day was a shattering 1:13. And then there was me.....A cool scenic drive enjoying the sunshine at 1:33. Ahhhh, life in the slow lane. Oh well. At least I didn't plow off into the desert!!

A special shout out to PAUL who purchased his black 2006 C6Z06 just 3 months ago. Hurry up Paul and become a forum member.
Good meeting you too, it was definitely good times and a shame we couldn't stay longer.

Don't sweat not getting fast times, the first time you're out there to learn the track and get to know your car at the limits. Tim's 1:13 is a full race car and he has been going at it for years. Here's me learning the limits of the car the first time out (to include a spin-out):

Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
hxrly
Racer

Here's some footage from the Mustang that was there yesterday. You can see WICKEDFRC's car at the start and me chasing the Mustang towards the middle. I also got to drive that blue Golf R that appears at the beginning.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
hxrly
Racer

Another event this Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/events/124784801036917/

Ordered Nitto NT05s since the BFGs will not be released for another month. Don't expect these to last more than 10k miles, but they are going to be a vast improvement over the current Continental DWs. Looking to get sub-1:20 times.

Last edited by hxrly; 03-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on leave but my baby is being shipped to a friends house in EP and arrives this morning!!!

First thing I will do is get her detailed when I get there in a week.

I think this is the year to finally do it and get either a SC or heads/cam. Already upgraded the trans to a RPM Level IV and the clutch to a LS7 a few years ago in anticipation of a power upgrade. But deployment and stupid Ft. Polk wouldn't let that happen sooner.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM
hxrly
Racer

Nice! Mine has an RPM transmission as well, it did not take long for the synchro keys to fail on the original. The LS7 clutch might be in the future as well.

I was flushing the brakes last night and realized my front brakes took a beating last time, they don't have much pad left. Might have to stop by a local autoparts today to see what they have. The Motive Bleeder was not building pressure so I had to improvise and use my compressor regulated at 10 psi.

And this is what happens to street tires on the track.

I also added a washer to the detent plug on the transmission but I'm not sure if I like the feel now, before it was harder to shift but felt more accurate.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have speed bleeders for the clutch and brakes.

I have a MGW shifter, I love it. Little stiff but it's pretty exact and you know for sure when you shift.

Know any tuners there?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
hxrly
Racer

Everybody recommends driving out to Texas Speed for tuning. There's a local LS tuner (Speed Factory Tuning) but dont know about his work. They have some really fast Honda cars that they drag race. I'm subscribed to their Facebook and they've tuned a few Corvette, Camaro, etc.

I have the MGW also, great shifter.

Last edited by hxrly; 03-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Know anyone who would be willing to tackle a heads/cam or SC project with me?

Also, I met a guy who can ship vehicles. I think it would be good to introduce him to the group so we can all network, he's based out of EP.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Harley - Nice tires!! That must be turn 11 as we slipped in sideways.

Edmond - LG Motorsports located in Dallas/Plano area did my Heads/Cam install. Flawless. Zero issues. It is quite a ways out, but they do have closed transporters that will come pick up your car and drive it back to their shop.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
hxrly
Racer

Edmond, I'd gladly help you with your adventures, that way I know how to do it for when my time comes.

Glenn, you should come out Friday, the weather looks much better this time. I don't think I will be coming out when the weather start going past 100ºF, so I am taking advantage now with the cooler temps.

Tomorrow I will be getting a custom alignment and I will be looking for front brakes at least, these pads are done!

My tires came in today and Discount Tire hooked me up and installed them for me before they closed. Shipped, mounted, and Road Force balance for $900, good deal!

Get notified of new replies

To El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
hxrly
Racer

Also bought a poor man's intake:

aFe 24-90033 Universal Clamp On Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive aFe 24-90033 Universal Clamp On Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Can't beat it for $80, it even brings the hole for the AIR adapter. Now I need to get those headers in... will probably try again Monday.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 AM
t100driver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hxrly
Also bought a poor man's intake:

aFe 24-90033 Universal Clamp On Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Can't beat it for $80, it even brings the hole for the AIR adapter. Now I need to get those headers in... will probably try again Monday.
Harley, let me know how it fits. I still can't decide what intake I want just might go with that if it's not too much of a pain to put on.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by t100driver
Harley, let me know how it fits. I still can't decide what intake I want just might go with that if it's not too much of a pain to put on.
I'll take some pictures later. I need to buy a coupler for it because right now its making the air bridge sit a bit higher.

Quick Reply: El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread