Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Texas Mile

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I was there. I ran 200 MPH in my '67 'Vette. It was my first time and I had no complaints. I think they did a good job. I got there on Friday...couldn't make it earlier due to work. I had planned to run Sat/Sun. It rained a lot on Friday but the sun came out and there was a 20+ MPH tailwind that dried the runway and they started making runs. I was able to get tech'd in and attend driver's meeting on Friday.

I had to make a qualifying pass on Sat morning between 180-199 MPH go wide open later. We got rain Sat morning and had to wait for it it dry things. No tailwind and pretty warm and humid. I did that at 184 MPH. Next ran a 195 pass and then the 200 MPH one clicked.

Sunday was nice and I made a couple more runs. I got better on the front half (picked up 7-9 MPH in the 1/4 mile) but spinning in the midrange didn't help. Pretty tricky putting down the power with street tires. I was hitting 168-169 at the half mile point. I ran a half mile event a few months ago with drag radials and managed 177 MPH.

Anyway....I thought they did a good job. The Victoria runway is nice and wide as well as smooth. Apparently better than the last venue and the shut down area was plenty long enough for me using stock brakes.

JIM
Attached Images     
Old 03-29-2017, 04:50 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I was there. I ran 200 MPH in my '67 'Vette. It was my first time and I had no complaints. I think they did a good job. I got there on Friday...couldn't make it earlier due to work. I had planned to run Sat/Sun. It rained a lot on Friday but the sun came out and there was a 20+ MPH tailwind that dried the runway and they started making runs. I was able to get tech'd in and attend driver's meeting on Friday.

I had to make a qualifying pass on Sat morning between 180-199 MPH go wide open later. We got rain Sat morning and had to wait for it it dry things. No tailwind and pretty warm and humid. I did that at 184 MPH. Next ran a 195 pass and then the 200 MPH one clicked.

Sunday was nice and I made a couple more runs. I got better on the front half (picked up 7-9 MPH in the 1/4 mile) but spinning in the midrange didn't help. Pretty tricky putting down the power with street tires. I was hitting 168-169 at the half mile point. I ran a half mile event a few months ago with drag radials and managed 177 MPH.

Anyway....I thought they did a good job. The Victoria runway is nice and wide as well as smooth. Apparently better than the last venue and the shut down area was plenty long enough for me using stock brakes.

JIM
Congrats, what is your set up, how much horsepower are you running? Just curious, did you have any lift issues at 200mph?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 AM
Tarheels1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Wow! What a gougeous mid year!

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

JIM
Sir,
Not to interrupt your discussion, but just had to say you got a beautiful mid year, my favorite color as well! Love to own one. I once worked on a blue one like that with a 327 4 speed when I was a young man working at Montgomery Wards Automotive. I keep her tuned up!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Congrats, what is your set up, how much horsepower are you running? Just curious, did you have any lift issues at 200mph?
Thanks.

It's a 555" engine. Used to be a N/A deal for years....and made 871 flywheel HP on pump gas. I pulled out 2.5 points of compression and 20* of cam and added two Borg Warner EFR turbos. They are only 68MM so pretty small for this size engine...but I built it for the street and they light off early. No intercoolers...just a Snow water/meth kit to cool things down. It made 1140 RWHP on 18 PSI on 91 octane. I had it turned down to 10-12 psi at the TX Mile to try and maintain traction on the street tires.

I've got 3.07 rear gears in a custom Dana 60 made into an IRS setup. The trans is a G-Force 5 speed with one to one 5th gear. For this event I swapped gears internally and made 4th into a .92 O/D to keep RPM reasonable at those speeds.

It drove fine to me. I've had it for 20 years so I'm used to how it drives I suppose. No drama. More lift than say a new Vette for sure...but nothing unmanageable.

Heading back to dragstrip in a couple of weeks to see if I can manage an 8 sec quarter mile pass too.

There's a few threads out there in the C-2/C-3 sections about it but here's one with some more details.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-tx-mile.html

JIM
The following users liked this post:
Too-Fast (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wow, very cool, nice set up and impressive!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:37 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tarheels1
Sir,
Not to interrupt your discussion, but just had to say you got a beautiful mid year, my favorite color as well! Love to own one. I once worked on a blue one like that with a 327 4 speed when I was a young man working at Montgomery Wards Automotive. I keep her tuned up!
Thanks! When I got it I wasn't a big "blue" fan....but it's grown on me. I've had it 21 years now and the paint was done by the previous owner in his garage. Not a show piece by any means....I use the heck out of it!!

JIM

Quick Reply: Texas Mile