Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Looking for people in Houston who like to drive their sports cars like sports cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:03 PM
jz2003
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for people in Houston who like to drive their sports cars like sports cars

FM166, FM3090, and FM390 are all excellent loads in close proximity.

I'm looking for members or clubs who host group rides on these roads for spirited driving. I've already looked over all major corvette clubs in Houston, and non seem to do anything like this. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen it. I'm not looking to go to a car show or denny's parking lot.

By spirited driving I mean taking corners at speed. Usually 2x the recommended speed limit sign in the turns. It doesn't mean you have to speed in the straights, or even exceed the roads speed limit which is 65mph throughout. So a 30mph turn I might take at 60mph.

Last edited by jz2003; 02-21-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Impulse20098
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would join... But the drag radials do not like turns lol.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Marconi7
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi jz,

I think most clubs do some kind of drives, they just don't publicize what routes they take and the speeds.

I'm a member of the San Jacinto Corvette Club (http://www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.org/). We do car shows, autocross, drags and drives like what you are talking about. One is coming up this weekend (2/27). We usually meet up some place and take the drive ending up at a restaurant or something. You're welcome to come along and see how you like it, you just need to let us know so that we can add you to the list so we can let the restaurant know how many of us to expect. PM me if you are interested.

If you like being the one setting up the drives and leading, join the club and setup your own drive. We're always looking for some new drives.

If you don't want to be a member of a club, there's the Houston Z06 Facebook group. You could lead a group of us on a drive there too.

~Marc
Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

To find the type of people I think you're looking for I would try attending some HPDE and DE track events. There you will find folks who enjoy winding roads a little more than typical owners who take "spirited drives" or folks who are purely into straight line performance

Keep in mind that a large organized drive may draw some unwanted attention and the involvement of a club will probably have you end up at some restaurant sipping on margaritas and listening to Jimmy Buffett.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm game. Please send me a PM if you are setting this up.

I've found that most car clubs frown upon breaking any traffic laws. However, if you go to a meet you will always find a handful of people that are game for "spirited" driving.

I was driving with a few car clubs a few months ago, most of them are cruisers. I simply mentioned a "contest of speed" and was shunned pretty hard. Best to keep these conversations off-line i think.

Take care.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:19 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I enjoy FM3090. Nice drive for sure.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Marconi7
Hi jz,

I think most clubs do some kind of drives, they just don't publicize what routes they take and the speeds.

I'm a member of the San Jacinto Corvette Club (http://www.sanjacintocorvetteclub.org/). We do car shows, autocross, drags and drives like what you are talking about. One is coming up this weekend (2/27). We usually meet up some place and take the drive ending up at a restaurant or something. You're welcome to come along and see how you like it, you just need to let us know so that we can add you to the list so we can let the restaurant know how many of us to expect. PM me if you are interested.

If you like being the one setting up the drives and leading, join the club and setup your own drive. We're always looking for some new drives.

If you don't want to be a member of a club, there's the Houston Z06 Facebook group. You could lead a group of us on a drive there too.

~Marc
Thanks for the message Marc, i just emailed you.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Marconi7
Hi jz,

~Marc

Lunch at Round Top Café???

I'm always up for their grilled quail and pie!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:03 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just recently took my motorcycle on 390. Nice road and yeah, the corners are a lot more fun when stretching the speed limits a little.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

jz2003, check out "Houston Track Junkies" on Facebook. They will be hosting a track day at GrandSport Speedway on March 20th. Would be a good chance to get out and have a little fun. I'll most likely be attending so maybe I'll see you there.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Take a look at this group - https://www.facebook.com/HoustonPerformanceDriving/

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for people in Houston who like to drive their sports cars like sports cars

Quick Reply: Looking for people in Houston who like to drive their sports cars like sports cars